INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO Channel Offset - what exactly does this mean and how does MC use it?  (Read 219 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

All

Just came off a bit of nightmare troubleshooting session where MC seemed to lose its mind when using my RME ADI-2 FS DAC.

Yesterday the RME ASIO MADIFace USB driver came unhinged, and I found myself unable to play even the most basic FLAC file (44.1k/16bits) - where MC would automatically switch my ADI-2 to 48k (of all things?) whenever ASIO was in play.

After about 3 hours of uninstalling drivers, redoing settings and testing every possible RME/Windows driver combo I could think of - I did one deeper look at the ASIO (device settings) area and stared at this Channel Offset area for a few moments. Mine was set to 8. Now - I have no idea what 8 means so I switched it back to 0 and tried playback again and all was well.

Have to be honest - this is the first time I have ever acknowledged (or changed) this value and I can state without question - if this "channel offset" was 8 when I came in here today - it must have been 8 yesterday and probably "8" for months and months prior to this issue.  So, it remains a mystery as to why a sudden change to 0 now is a solution to this problem.

Can anyone give a simple explanation as to what this Channel Offset refers to or how MC knows/uses these numbers (0,2,4 etc)?

AND - how can I (as a user) determine what "8" means?

In my Windows Sound Settings (Win 10 22H2 as of this writing) - there is (and always has been) just one stereo output for my RME ADI-2 DAC (labeled Analog 1+2 (RME ADI-2 DAC).

Is this output - actually Channel Offset "0"?

Would appreciate any additional knowledge around this.

Cheers

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO Channel Offset - what exactly does this mean and how does MC use it?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 12:02:25 pm »

That just means it will shift the output by 8 channels.  Sometimes the L and R output is on a channel other than the first couple.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 12:08:10 pm »

That just means it will shift the output by 8 channels.  Sometimes the L and R output is on a channel other than the first couple.

Matt - understood. But why "8"? (From all I can see was a default?)

It would be more logical to have this always default to "0" and then if a user really needs to redirect to another set of outputs - make them start hunting and pecking around?

Again - with MC and this RME DAC (vs say my RME UCX-II - where I can use Totalmix to see all the output combos) - I have no idea what 0 means or 2 or whatever.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 12:46:33 pm »

It defaults to zero.  Somebody must have entered 8 at some point.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 12:51:12 pm »

It defaults to zero.  Somebody must have entered 8 at some point.

Like I said - this is the first time I ever acknowledged this field (or these settings) - so for me to have entered an "8" (of all numbers) any time in the past seems a tad far-fetched.

But - fair enough. Zero it is after this learning session.

Cheers

VP

Pages: [1]   Go Up