Devices > PC's and Other Hardware

2160p23 low cpu usage, but cpu get high temperature

(1/7) > >>

tkolsto:
I have a new desktop(2022). I dont have hw decod or videoclock checked, bc I did not had to do this until now. There was a bigger windows update last week. I dont know if that was causing it. I have not had any problems with this until now.

JRiver 31 latest build, jrvr.
Windows 11 pro, latest updates.
Cpu i5 12600kf
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
16 gb ram
systemdisk ssd 930gb( 238 gb is unused space).
rtx 3050 8 gb

The cpu usage is low..around 17-20 percent, but temp can get 62 - 71 Celsius.

I read that it often is the thermal paste issue(desktop is pratically new), but I did not have this issue until now bc now I can hear the cpu fan spinn up..around 1300 - 1500 rpm. I could not hear my cpu at all from what I can remember. The only thing I could think of that has changed is windows update that came now some days ago. 14 february ..23H2 and aslo the framework got also updated. I watched Oppenheimer before this update and tried it last night..and then I could hear the wining from the cpu so then I checked the rpm and usage.

Why does the cpu get so hot with so low usage?

jmone:
Sounds odd.  I'd re-thermal paste the fan on the CPU.

Also, I'd just check the HW Decoding option.  No reason not to use that 3050 vs the CPU.

EDIT:  You may need to look at resource monitor, as it could be that one core on the CPU is getting hammered. 

tkolsto:
Thank You.

Yes I Am suspicous now og the thermal past which I alwayse are attentive when I apply it, not to much and not too thin and I apply it always even. But if the thermal paste itself was bad, then there is not much else to do.

I turned on the resource monitore...I see that it changes the cores usage..but one or two p cores simontanioulsy are very high I think...lay around 60 /70 percent usage and peak at 90 percent, but than it can be lower again but cpu fan is high 1600 to 1750 rpm.  I also turned on HWmonitor 1.53 and here I can watch in real time how hard the P-cores are used. I took a screen shot.

I dont know how good this information I give here are. On resource monitore...I noticed that often two cores get hit high(around 55- 70 and some peaks at 90 but not alot but 90 peak is high I think.

jmone:
Looks fine to me.  Your P-cores are getting a workout but at 70c you are a long way from TjMax (100c for your CPU) so it is not thermal throttling.  Cooling seems to be doing it's job. 

jmone:
Also why are you not using HW Decoding?  Your GPU is much more efficient than the CPU for this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version