Networks and Remotes > Media Network

UPnP Problem with BubbleUPnP

<< < (3/13) > >>

bubbleguuum:

--- Quote from: Awesome Donkey on March 08, 2024, 10:35:29 am ---Groovy, sent! :) Hopefully it helps.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the log.

It shows that MC is super slow handling http Browse UPnP action requests emitted by BubbleUPnP:

--- Code: ---[AsyncTask #1 (72)                       ] INFO     - 0:00:04.923    - BrowseTask.doInBackground(): loading container 'Artist'
[cling-62 (Browse) (188)                 ] INFO     - 0:00:23.368    - HTTP request took a long time: http://192.168.1.131:52100/ContentDirectory/control took: 17801 ms
[cling-27 (Browse) (131)                 ] INFO     - 0:00:46.203    - HTTP request took a long time: http://192.168.1.131:52100/ContentDirectory/control took: 22811 ms

--- End code ---

First Browse action to get the first 16 items takes 17 seconds. Second action to get the rest takes 22s.
This is not normal: MC is slow to respond to these requests for an unknown reason.
Does it happen only on this 'Artist' folder ?

Awesome Donkey:
No, it happens with 'Album' too, which has over 10,000 entries so it takes much, much longer to load.

Worth noting that with my MC32 server and using BubbleUPnP on my network I do 1) indeed have UPnP enabled on my router and 2) have ports forwarded (52100-52200 for MC and with 58050 and 58051 for BubbleUPnP) so *hopefully* the issue isn't there and finally 3) MC is granted full firewall access for both inbound and outbound connections. The Intel N305 NUC running the MC32 server is connected via 1G ethernet directly to my router (which is a WiFi 6 Netgear Nighthawk router) but it's likely not related to the NUC itself as this issue has existed for years at least and did happen when the MC server was on both a Raspberry Pi 4B and Orange Pi 5B. I mean, I could change/upgrade networking and see if that changes anything (and I do plan on doing that soon actually as fiber is coming to my area and I'd like to have WiFi 7 and 10G networking). Any ideas to try as workarounds or is it something JRiver will have to look into?

Strange regardless though that it's responding slow like that, even though it *shouldn't*.

markf2748:
Re network aspects and possible interference by other devices (I may be preaching to the choir here, but I'll put it out anyway):

As a test, can you simplify your network to the bare minimum?  Turn off other computers and unnecessary network appliances like switches.  If things improve, then turn other stuff on one at a time.

Simplify your router settings.  You should not need UPnP turned on if you pare it down to testing just local wi-fi, and you should not need port forwarding either.  MC networking ports must be open/allowed, but do not need to be forwarded for local connections.  Same if you are running BubbleUPnP Server. 

Bubble does not need to create any OpenHome renderers if you are dealing only with DLNA.

Is your router firmware up to date?  Log into router and check for updates.

You may also learn something by watching MC's server traffic, using Tree > Services & Plug-ins > Media network.  Watch the Activity Log for each of the 5 servers individually, maybe with and without Bubble running.  There's not a lot of message info revealed (I've requested that be improved, more than once), but you can at least see IP addresses and their basic DLNA headers.

Of course there is always Wireshark, very revealing, but that's considerably more work.

Re library size:  Create a small library of just a few albums and load that into MC.  If Bubble is OK with it (obviously it should be very fast), then incrementally increase the size, maybe 500 albums, 1000, etc. looking for a threshold that ignites the problem.  Your library is unusually large, so it's hard for most users to simulate it.

bubbleguuum:
UPnP IGD settings on routers have nothing to do with UPnP AV used by MC and BubbleUPnP.
UPnP IGD is for programs (often games) to automatically add NAT rules to open ports for networking.

Other than that, MC is taking a long time to respond to these http Browse requests, which is very unusual.
I cannot reproduce it, so cannot investigate further.
Maybe it is caused by some combination of settings in MC.

Awesome Donkey:
I split this discussion from the remotes topic and moved it to the Media Network section, as I feel it's likely something to investigate further here and I feel it deserves its own topic.

Bob, if you're reading this, any ideas why MC would be responding very slowly to the UPnP HTTP browse requests in this instance?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version