INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import of Home Video (Camera, Phone) Files  (Read 328 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Import of Home Video (Camera, Phone) Files
« on: March 06, 2024, 12:01:23 am »

Hi team

Wondering if you can take a look at what has been a longstanding issue for me.
Each time I import video files from my camera or phone, a number of fields are incorrectly read and I believe this is a function of carnac/autotagging.

See the attached screen (video files imported from my Google Pixel 8 Pro android phone) via windows OS
MC is attempting to parse Name and Possibly date? from the filename: eg PXL_20240111_233121599.TS.mp4
And it does this inconsistently - in some cases [Name] is read as Pxl and in others a number.
This is never desired, could the default autoimport for these files please be adjusted to just read [Name] from the Filename?
This would make most sense, as I  would want each [Name] to be unique for home video files anyway (ie no value in them all being named 'Pxl' in the library.
I guess I could create some fancy Folder based function to tell it not to do this, but I import these files from lots of places so I think this would be difficult.

The dates are also always read incorrectly. The correct [Date] is what MC is displaying in [Date Modified] in attached.
I think it might be trying to read [Date] from the filename but on devices this isn't generally accurate, and if date metadata is available this should always be used first.

I like the automatic wizardry for movies, TV shows etc, but it is failing on home videos at present!

Thank you, and happy to provide any test files or further info.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Re: Import of Home Video (Camera, Phone) Files
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 05:54:29 am »

Which date field is which?  Not defined in your picture

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 09:26:36 am »

We don't really have a universal way to identify Home Videos, but I've added the file name pattern of those Pixel videos to get recognized.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 11:26:04 am »

Our iPhone videos use the "IMG_xxxx" pattern and Carnac always interpretted the numbers as Season and Episode numbers.

I got around these by always importing from a specified folder, and using 'tag on import' rules to tidy it all up, including setting the Media Sub Type field.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 12:46:45 am »

Which date field is which?  Not defined in your picture

You are correct :o Sorry, the image ended up truncated for some reason.
I'll upload another with my next import.

In the OP attachment, from L to R fields were [Name], [Filename (name)], [Date], [Date Modified], [Date Created]
The correct 'date' is contained in the [Date Modified] field

We don't really have a universal way to identify Home Videos, but I've added the file name pattern of those Pixel videos to get recognized.

Great, thanks Hendrik. I'll keep an eye out

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 12:26:06 am »

Panasonic Camera (Lumix FT5)
MC labels [Name] as Avchd for all files
MC assigns [Date] as date of import, not the actual date

See screens (in the second one, fields are from L to R [Name] [Filename (name)] [Date] [Date Created] [Date Modified]
Pages: [1]   Go Up