INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: few questions about timestamp , rating and customize  (Read 268 times)

drugo

• Recent member
few questions about timestamp , rating and customize
« on: April 11, 2024, 01:10:39 am »

Hi to all/everybody
I have installed few days ago JRiver Media Center 32.0.26 "the last build", on windows 11 and windows 10 , what a beautiful program ,really , i have tested many other softwares..
there are so many features , simply amazing , really
sadly i'm in trial mode , sadly because there are so many features

may I ask few questions (i have searched in this forum ) ?

1) since i use smart playlist , i would like if JRiver Media Center could preserve timestamp like all the other audio players free or not for windows
for example i have rated some songs of an album , and now they are in my smart playlist datemod by 2 weeks
i use smart playlist when i 'm used to rips some albums
would be really great if I could block JRiver Media Center to write and change the timestamp, because after i have to find them and use shareware like total commander to fix them
it's just boring fix these songs, when i have rated 3 or 5 stars for example
i have read in the forum how force JRiver Media Center to don't write tags but it does

2)
may i customize the top bar ?
I would like to add some buttons , like repeat (playlist songs ) ,shuffle , enable/disable replaygain  and equalizer (or eq presets) , i use several amps and speakers 
screenshot taken on internet , just because i'm running w7 and i haven't installed here , where there is the arrow or other handy place
about the buttons , are for me very handy , just because i 'm used to change eq preset very often ,and replaygain enable/disable , for me much better than shorcut/hotekey

3) honestly , I like a lot , but i'm not just testing ,and the software is the topnotch and with all these features , i need a lot of time to learn it
if i want to install on my laptop windows 11 and on another laptop with linux should i buy 2 licenses?
and could i have updates for even v32?
about the portable version , should i buy a separate version? and it 's really full portable " i mean it doesn't leave any registries keys or files on the host computer" ?

thanks
sorry for my poor english ,it's not my native language , the software it's translated in my language , i could even improve for free if necessary

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: few questions about timestamp , rating and customize
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 03:37:15 am »

1) You can disable all file-tagging writes in Settings > General > Update Tags when file info changes. This means that the tags in the file won't match what you have on the database/library, but that's not an issue for most purposes. There are also options to write the tags to a 'sidecar.xml' file next to each and every file instead of modifying the original file; good for video, no so nice for audio if you like clean album folders.

2) Not there, but you can add a custom toolbar on top, next to the main menus. Right-click on the menu bar (File/Edit/View...Help) and select Customize Toolbar.

3) You can install in all your machines and devices with just one license, "within reason". This includes the portable versions. I don't know if they write anything to the registry or %appdata%, but you can easily check that.

drugo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 04:27:14 am »

1) You can disable all file-tagging writes in Settings > General > Update Tags when file info changes. This means that the tags in the file won't match what you have on the database/library, but that's not an issue for most purposes. There are also options to write the tags to a 'sidecar.xml' file next to each and every file instead of modifying the original file; good for video, no so nice for audio if you like clean album folders.

2) Not there, but you can add a custom toolbar on top, next to the main menus. Right-click on the menu bar (File/Edit/View...Help) and select Customize Toolbar.

3) You can install in all your machines and devices with just one license, "within reason". This includes the portable versions. I don't know if they write anything to the registry or %appdata%, but you can easily check that.
Hi Zybex

1)
I don't want JRiver media center could write the audio file and change the timestamp if i want to rate a song , what should i do?
There are also options to write the tags to a 'sidecar.xml' file next to each and every file instead of modifying the original file
might you please post a screenshot ? just because i tried to pust Jrivier to avoid to change the timestamp and it did it
i like smart playlist
but is so hard to preserve the timestamp ? If i want to check and apply replagayn ,would be better preserving the timestamp for smart playlist

2)"Customize Toolbar" have you done it?
 can I add eq preset , enable/disable eq ,dps ?
sorry for such question , i have only 28 days to test it ,there are lots of feature and a learning curve

thanks Zybex  , appreciate it a lot

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 06:04:22 am »

Not sure I understand your issue about the timestamps, as it does not have anything to do with smartlists. If you're just talking about the Sorting order of the Smartlist, you can change that regardless of the file timestamps being changed or not. If not... when you rate a song, you're modifying the [Rating] field; that is written to the file itself, changing it's "last modified" timestamp. You can however disable the tag writing so that the file is not modified; the [Rating] change is still preserved in the database (library), so you'll still see it in MC.

Toolbar - you can only add the listed commands. I think I've read some other thread about shortcuts to customized EQ preset though, maybe on the "links" toolbar or Favorites menu.

drugo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 09:24:39 am »

You can however disable the tag writing so that the file is not modified; the [Rating] change is still preserved in the database (library), so you'll still see it in MC.

Settings > General > Update Tags when file info changes. This means that the tags in the file won't match what you have on the database/library
here are also options to write the tags to a 'sidecar.xml' file next to each and every file instead of modifying the original file; good for video, no so nice for audio if you like clean album folders.
Hi zybex
I guess I have disabled the writing to the file with  "Settings > General > Update Tags " and "here are also options to write the tags to a 'sidecar.xml'" , but sadly it does write the file and change the timestamp
i don't want to change the timestamp
maybe could be a new features , but i see many users have asked it for years ,just searching in the forum ,there are many users looking for this feature
thanks

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 09:40:16 am »

I've just tested and the timestamp did not change when I change the file's rating with that option disabled.
If you're also changing the Cover Art (or fetching it from the internet), try disabling Settings > File Location > Covert Art: Also Store image in the file's tag

I agree that MC should have an option to preserve timestamps while tagging, but that's usually not done because it would mess up the file backups (and the file IS modified after all...) You can let it change the "Date Modified" and use the "Date Created" or "Date Imported" to track the original timestamp.

drugo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 09:51:28 am »

I've just tested and the timestamp did not change when I change the file's rating with that option disabled.
If you're also changing the Cover Art (or fetching it from the internet), try disabling Settings > File Location > Covert Art: Also Store image in the file's tag

I agree that MC should have an option to preserve timestamps while tagging, but that's usually not done because it would mess up the file backups (and the file IS modified after all...) You can let it change the "Date Modified" and use the "Date Created" or "Date Imported" to track the original timestamp.
hi
i think it should be added  some screenshots about the setting to avoid timestamp changing
and i guess in english with english language ,so it will be easy for many users disable correctly
sometime other language could be translated a bit differently
thanks

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 10:10:51 am »

Too busy for screenshots right now.
Just switch MC to English temporarily and search for those 2 options, then uncheck them.
You can write "tag" in the Search box at the bottom of the Options window.

Restart MC after changing the options just to be safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up