INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving library from Windows to Linux: Platform.jmd was not updated to Linux  (Read 216 times)

sRoydSmith

• Recent member

I have moved my music server from a Windows computer to a Linux computer. I imported a backed-up windows library into the Linux system and corrected the Filename paths using "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" (F6). All seemed well and my Linux computer was happily serving several windows computers and my phone just fine. I then imported some movies on my Linux computer and started to have problems. The imported files ended up with back-slashes instead of forward-slashes in the Filename column. When I right-clicked to "Get Movie & TV info", the picture for the movie was not stored even though the JRSidecar file was created OK. After digging around on the form I found out about the library file Platform.jmd. On my Linux box this still had [Platform]=Windows in it. I changed it to [Platform]=Linux and restarted. This caused all the files in the library with back-slashes to be dropped from the library. I re-imported them and now "Get Movie & TV info" DOES save the picture for the movie. So all is well after an hour or so of thrashing around trying to understand what was broken and how to fix it. I am reporting the bug in hopes that 1) it gets fixed and 2) until it does, others will have a post to read for help with this problem.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

i am about to do same as you.  i’ll update my thread as a duplicate of yours.

this is a helpful tip as i am going to do an export/import this morning and will watch out for the file you mention.

i don’t intend to play any media from the linux MC server but rather use it strictly as a library server for various clients (windows, jremote, panel)

thanks

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

i am about to do same as you.  i’ll update my thread as a duplicate of yours.

this is a helpful tip as i am going to do an export/import this morning and will watch out for the file you mention.

i don’t intend to play any media from the linux MC server but rather use it strictly as a library server for various clients (windows, jremote, panel)

thanks

If you want to avoid the drop and reimport (which can blow away metadata like date imported and sometimes play counts), when you restore your windows library on Linux you should immediately after the restore turn off auto-import. Then close JRiver, fix platform.jmd, then restart JRiver and only then go through and use the rename, move, copy tool to update the file locations to fix backslashes, etc.  If you do it that way you won't lose any metadata at all and there won't be any edge cases.  As you can probably tell, I've done the migration a few times  ;D 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If you want to avoid the drop and reimport (which can blow away metadata like date imported and sometimes play counts), when you restore your windows library on Linux you should immediately after the restore turn off auto-import. Then close JRiver, fix platform.jmd, then restart JRiver and only then go through and use the rename, move, copy tool to update the file locations to fix backslashes, etc.  If you do it that way you won't lose any metadata at all and there won't be any edge cases.  As you can probably tell, I've done the migration a few times  ;D
We've worked in this area to improve the experience.  Please report any problems with current versions.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team

I tried a basic import before anything else and it seemed to work, with the exception of file pathing.

when using Windows, all my files were imported/using UNC paths, e.g. "\\[server]\[path-to-file]\[file], which works fine for Windows server and Windows clients such that the client has direct access to the file and I can avoid using driver letters.

on Linux I need to mount the network shares, which is easy to do, however it means the path to files would be e.g. /mnt/share/.... which means importing new media on the server would use the /mnt/share path and not the UNC path. 

also means that my windows clients would not have direct access to the files as provided by the server so features such as DVD/Bluray menu playback would not work since at that point MC server on linux would essentially be streaming the media file to the client (and optionally transcoding),  correct?

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

MC32 has a new tool that should help convert from one OS to another:

Change Media Location
Pages: [1]   Go Up