INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinyl collection in JRiver database  (Read 350 times)

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
Vinyl collection in JRiver database
« on: April 14, 2024, 04:55:38 am »

So I bought a turntable, again, after some 15 years, and tried to figure out how to add my vinyl to JR. I think I managed. For each vinyl album there is at least one tiny wavpack file with format wv 16/8 and size only a few kB.
Already I used a custom field .FileFmt which lists the formats as shown in the first pic.
I also added a field 'vinyl' which is just a checkbox. When I check this, the file format appears as vinyl in a green font. I also show when a digital file is a vinyl rip. See second pic.

For those interested, I used the following code to create the .FileFmt field:

=If(IsEqual([vinyl rip],1),
[File Type] [Bit Depth]//RemoveRight(RemoveCharacters([Sample Rate], 12/,),4) <font color="#00ff00">rip,
If(IsEqual([vinyl],1),
<font color="#00ff00">vinyl,
[File Type] [Bit Depth]//RemoveRight(RemoveCharacters([Sample Rate], 12/,),4)
))

It was a bit of work, but I am happy with the result, being able to see digital and vinyl combined in JR.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Vinyl collection in JRiver database
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 06:34:26 am »

Refactored:
Code: [Select]
If([vinyl], <font color="#00ff00">vinyl,
[File Type] [Bit Depth]//Math(int(number([Sample Rate]))) If([vinyl rip], <font color="#00ff00">rip,))

Looks like those rips are very low quality, you should be able to make better quality rips with any cheap turntable nowadays.

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 06:58:07 am »

Thanks, but how can you tell? The quality of the rips that I made myself in the past cannot be seen from above code. The two are totally unrelated. The code just removes some characters from what is shown in the view.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 07:31:38 am »

For each vinyl album there is at least one tiny wavpack file with format wv 16/8 and size only a few kB.

I thought this meant the rips were small, 8 bit depth. Maybe I misunderstood.

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 07:38:55 am »

Sorry if I was ambiguous. The small wavpack file is just a placeholder for real vinyl stored in a physical cabinet. I kept it as small as impossible because it will not contain any music data, just tags/fields. It is only used for visibility in the MC database. JRiver is, of course, unable to play it. I have to get the record from the cabinet and put it on my turntable... :-)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 08:08:26 am »

Ah :) I've seen the same done for movie collections.
That's a feature MC could have: placeholders/wish list for albums and movies, fully taggable except not having an actual associated file.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 08:52:02 am »

Tip of the Day: MCUtils can do those dummy albums/files readily tagged by using discogs

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 09:24:49 am »

Thanks. I will try that for things other than classical or jazz, as for the latter the 'albums' in my library will not be recognized as they do not correspond to commercial issues.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 07:09:00 am »

I finally got a high quality A to D converter and converted a large part of my vinyl collection to flac at 192/24. I cannot tell the difference between the turntable version and the flac version. It makes playing them much easier. unless you like the ritual of dropping the needle and turning the record.  The digitized version often does sound different than the CD version and there were a lot of records I had that I did not have on CD. I used Vinyl Studio to remove clicks, pops and hiss. It took time, but was well worth it. Something to consider.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 09:04:44 am »

Did the same dtc.  Vinyl Studio is a great piece of software.

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 09:24:06 am »

Absolutely agree about Vinyl Studio. In addition to being easy to use it is actively supported by Paul Sanders. Well worth the modest license fee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up