INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitle Position with madVR  (Read 137 times)

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
Subtitle Position with madVR
« on: April 23, 2024, 02:16:03 pm »

The global subtitle position is a good addition.  If I have set a sub position in a movie, individually, how do I remove that preference and have them go to the new global position?  It seems as if once they have been set individually the global is ignored.

*edit*  Actually, unless I'm missing something, subtitle shift doesn't seem to be working at all now.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Subtitle Position with madVR
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 07:39:04 pm »

I always use .srt subtitles because they are color customizable, size, etc...  In the past I have been able to adjust their position and was looking forward to the global positioning, but I can't seem to position them at all now, global or individual.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 09:07:09 pm »

I always use .srt subtitles because they are color customizable, size, etc...  In the past I have been able to adjust their position and was looking forward to the global positioning, but I can't seem to position them at all now, global or individual.
Don't check the checkbox...Instead, adjust the global vertical positioning by entering negative values to raise the subs and positive values to lower them. Works great here.

For example, in my constant image height setup, I simply enter a global percentage of -11% for perfect positioning for 2.35:1 movies. Since it is global, 16:9 subs will also be raised by 11%, but it is the lesser of 2 evils. There is no perfect solution that works for every video due to the various ways that Hollywood creates video, sometiimes with the black bars baked in and sometimes without. You would be able to simply use the checkbox without entering any percentage shift IF the content creators stopped baking black bars into the video.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 01:15:01 am »

If you use JRVR's black bar cropping, that should also work together fine. Or at least is supposed to, if it doesn't work let us know.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 09:14:02 am »

entering negative values to raise the subs and positive values to lower them. Works great here.

Ah... thanks, Bob.  I was using positive values to raise them, as it shows on the context menu.  I reversed it after reading your tip and it works fine.  I guess they weren't going any lower because they would have been off screen?  Anyway... thanks for the help.

*edit*  Actually, it seems to only work if I enter a value over -20.  If I enter -10, there is no change... but if I enter -20, they move way up.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 09:41:26 am »

Ah... thanks, Bob.  I was using positive values to raise them, as it shows on the context menu.  I reversed it after reading your tip and it works fine.  I guess they weren't going any lower because they would have been off screen?  Anyway... thanks for the help.

*edit*  Actually, it seems to only work if I enter a value over -20.  If I enter -10, there is no change... but if I enter -20, they move way up.
For me the subs move up on 1% increments. You do have the checkbox for keeping subs within the active area UNCHECKED, right? If you tell me what video(s) you have tried, I will try to recreate it here to see if I have the same problem or not.

Jim, if you want to move the subtitle posts in here into the "Subtitle position" thread in the beta forum, and then move that thread into this forum, it might be helpful so as not to clutter up this thread so much, and we can all continue the discussion there. The posts in the beta forum will probably help people who have questions regarding the new subtitle handling.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 09:55:28 am »

For me the subs move up on 1% increments. You do have the checkbox for keeping subs within the active area UNCHECKED, right?

I have it unchecked, but I also tried with it checked to see if it made any difference.  It seems to be related to movies I have individually changed in the past.  For instance, the last one I tried (Pedicab Driver) moves up 10% with the global setting at 5%.  I know it moved up 10% because if I then change individual shift setting for that movie down 5% (with the global setting at 10%), it moves back to where it would be with no shift.  I'm also finding some movies (Fellini 8 1-2) that do the desired shift with the new global setting.  So, it is kind of all over the place.  I'm not certain what the difference is.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 12:04:45 pm »

I have it unchecked, but I also tried with it checked to see if it made any difference.  It seems to be related to movies I have individually changed in the past.  For instance, the last one I tried (Pedicab Driver) moves up 10% with the global setting at 5%.  I know it moved up 10% because if I then change individual shift setting for that movie down 5% (with the global setting at 10%), it moves back to where it would be with no shift.  I'm also finding some movies (Fellini 8 1-2) that do the desired shift with the new global setting.  So, it is kind of all over the place.  I'm not certain what the difference is.
Ok, gotcha. Come to think of it, all the titles I used for my tests were not previously set with the OSD system. I am going to do some more experimenting to see if I can figure out what is going on and how to get around it.

Off of the top of my head, I wonder if Hendrik could devise some sort of global subtitle reset switch which would reset all subs back to their original position and discard any previously saved changes from the OSD. I'm suggesting an optional reset switch of some sort, as some people might want to keep the changes that they already made to individuaL titles, while others (like me) would rather discard all of my old changes and simply use the new system. Or, maybe add the subtitle reset to the OSD menu, so that if your old changes are fine, you can just leave them as is, but if the old changes are not playing nice with the global changes, you could just reset the subs and allow the global system to work from the original position. I am just thinking out loud here, as I don't know if these things are even possible, or if it would make things overly complex.

Edit: I just tested OSD previously adjusted subtitles and you are correct, the global adjustment seems to be executed from the previous adjustment. My assumption was that the subtitle would be reset to original position, and THEN the global adjustments would take place, but I am wrong. I have to wonder if it would be possible to add a third global option that would reset the subtitle back to original position (regardless of whether it had been set previously or not), and then execute either/both of the 2 other options if they are enabled. Since the 3 global settings are for the player, they would be executed on the fly every time a video is played since there would be no reason to attach the settings to the files themselves.

Maybe Hendrik could weigh in here... :)

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 03:34:48 pm »

Ok, gotcha. Come to think of it, all the titles I used for my tests were not previously set with the OSD system. I am going to do some more experimenting to see if I can figure out what is going on and how to get around it.

Off of the top of my head, I wonder if Hendrik could devise some sort of global subtitle reset switch which would reset all subs back to their original position and discard any previously saved changes from the OSD.

Thanks, Bob... I'm not 100% sure that is what is causing it... it was just the first possibility that occurred to me.  Maybe you will find something, though.  The "reset switch" is a good idea, or some general way to remove past individual settings that now have global settings.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 08:42:32 am »

- Baked in black bars can be handled with black bar detection and cropping in JRVR for a more consistent result.

I'm using MadVR, so if it depends on the JRVR black bar detection, that may be why I'm getting inconsistent results.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 10:32:57 am »

I'm using MadVR, so if it depends on the JRVR black bar detection, that may be why I'm getting inconsistent results.
It would be easy to try JRVR.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 10:53:52 am »

I've tried it many times.  Just can't get it to look as good.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 10:57:47 am »

How recently?  It's worth trying again.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 11:05:16 am »

Yesterday.  It's got potential but still prefer MadVR.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 11:23:28 am »

It would be helpful if you can report any issues in the main JRVR thread.

madVR subtitle behavior won't be addressed in this thread.

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 11:39:19 am »

Hi, Drybonz,

Not that it will matter to you, but I recommend that you at least read this short thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138341.0.html

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 11:47:56 am »

It would be helpful if you can report any issues in the main JRVR thread.

I was just answering your questions.  I don't have any specific issues to report.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 11:49:11 am »

Not that it will matter to you, but I recommend that you at least read this short thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138341.0.html

Thanks.  I saw that thread and checked into JRVR again after reading it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up