INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Music Library on Second PC  (Read 338 times)

Michael S.

• Recent member
Updating Music Library on Second PC
« on: April 30, 2024, 11:12:58 pm »

I use MC with two computers (a desktop PC and a work laptop).  I plan to use the desktop PC for updating, editing and adding to the MC library.

I also like to listen to MC files on my work laptop, but don't intend to do anything else on that computer.

I would like to periodically transfer the entire library from the main desktop to the portable SSD drive used with the work laptop so that it stays updated.  What would be the best and easiest way to do this?  Does it just involve copying the entire Music file from the desktop PC to the portable SSD or is more needed?

I have MC 32.  Thank you.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Updating Music Library on Second PC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 12:25:55 am »

I keep 2 computers synchronized on a daily basis with identical media files and JRiver database/settings/thumbnails.

I use Syncovery however any good quality backup application should work.

Because I do this daily and my library is large I have it configured to detect and copy only those files that have changed so it is fast.

Syncovery has a very nice feature that only copies the portion of a file that has changed which is handy for big files that don't change much like my 7GB JRiver thumbnail file.

You will need to synchronize:
- media files
- library files
- thumbnail files
- cover art files

Most of the settings are in the library files. The few settings that are in the registry can be easily transferred by backing up your library on the source system, copying the backup to the destination system, and restoring the backup. I don't change settings too often so don't need to do this very often.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 09:34:55 am »

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 01:07:58 pm »

You will need to synchronize:
- media files
- library files
- thumbnail files
- cover art files
The last two items are automatically included in the media files sync if the cover art is stored in the music file tags, or located in the same media file directory as the audio files (organized in per-album directories and then folder sync).
Thumbnails wiki:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Thumbnails
"putting cover art into files" https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138600.msg961169.html#msg961169

Another recent thread on this subject, "continuously cloning files+library+tags 1:1 to laptop" :
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138655.msg961613.html#msg961613

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 08:24:56 pm »

The last two items are automatically included in the media files sync if the cover art is stored in the music file tags, or located in the same media file directory as the audio files (organized in per-album directories and then folder sync).

True for album art and video art. Not true for artists art.

Michael S.

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 12:00:04 am »

Thanks for the posts, I am wondering if there is a simpler solution.  I don't want to buy additional backup software.  I don't need to keep everything continuously synchronized.

Would it work to just save a library backup on the desktop PC, delete the music folder on the portable SSD, copy the entire music file from the desktop and paste to the portable SSD, then restore the library backup on the laptop?

I would just do this as needed, probably about once a month.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 01:47:34 am »

Thanks for the posts, I am wondering if there is a simpler solution.  I don't want to buy additional backup software.  I don't need to keep everything continuously synchronized.

Would it work to just save a library backup on the desktop PC, delete the music folder on the portable SSD, copy the entire music file from the desktop and paste to the portable SSD, then restore the library backup on the laptop?

I would just do this as needed, probably about once a month.
Yes it would work, but copying all your media files once a month is overkill.  IMO it is well worth the investment in a folder compare utility such as BeyondCompare, or maybe try a free utility such as WinMerge.

Then use the comparison software to copy only the new or changed albums to client's own media drive.  MC automatically imports the new files into its library, including the artwork.  The whole thing flows smoothly when both server and client use exactly the same folder structure for audio media.  I've been doing this "manually" for years for two different clients, without "automatic" continuous syncing.  There are possible gotchas with dynamic fields like "last played date" if not saved to tags, but it sounds like you may not care about that.

I find there is no need to go the full library save / cross restore route until there are significant changes in my server's views, playlists, custom fields, etc. which I want to incorporate on the clients.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 02:16:12 am »

True for album art and video art. Not true for artists art.
Not quite sure what you mean by "artists art".  Is it artwork which is stored under the artist's folder, rather than in album folders, assuming folder scheme Artist > Album > Tracks & Album Art?  If so, then I would expect the same folder compare which picks up album differences to also pick up changes to "artists art"?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 02:55:20 am »

You could, as you probably know, use Library Server to just share a library from one machine to another.

If you're using the second machine as a backup, you might consider what happens if you discover a severe problem on one, but not before you've copied the problem to the other.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 03:02:41 am »

FreeFileSync is pretty good, you can save a preset to compare and sync 2 folders easily enough. And it's free.
All above caveats still apply.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 11:15:07 am »

Not quite sure what you mean by "artists art".  Is it artwork which is stored under the artist's folder, rather than in album folders, assuming folder scheme Artist > Album > Tracks & Album Art?  If so, then I would expect the same folder compare which picks up album differences to also pick up changes to "artists art"?
I thought you were arguing there is no need to copy album art if stored inside the audio files. I agree.
I was pointing out you still need to sync the artists cover art folder if you want to clone an identical setup.
I want my second system to be exactly identical in all respects.
I did not mention it but you also need to sync skins and custom resources.
Pages: [1]   Go Up