Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

Audiophile Speakers for Laptop

<< < (3/4) > >>

dtc:
In a professional studio environment, which ASIO was meant for, it is typically shared, since mixing different sources is pretty common. In that environment, however, the sound engineer typically has total control of all the possible inputs. Many consumer companies just use shared mode, rather than changing the driver to be exclusive. I don't think Topping is unique in having a shared ASIO. But, I do understand the desire to have an exclusive mode driver.

Awesome Donkey:
Yeah, I only need ASIO to be exclusive to workaround the audio renderer errors that appear attempting start video playback on YouTube in Chrome while using WASAPI exclusive, for example. I've explored other options but unfortunately I don't think there's any way around it other than ASIO exclusive. Schiit's ASIO worked beautifully this way but unfortunately for me DSD in my library became a thing. :P

Awesome Donkey:

--- Quote from: Awesome Donkey on May 04, 2024, 01:02:23 pm ---Yeah, I only need ASIO to be exclusive to workaround the audio renderer errors that appear attempting start video playback on YouTube in Chrome while using WASAPI exclusive, for example. I've explored other options but unfortunately I don't think there's any way around it other than ASIO exclusive. Schiit's ASIO worked beautifully this way but unfortunately for me DSD in my library became a thing. :P

--- End quote ---

So I did get a iFi ZEN DAC 3 and... as I was honestly expecting it doesn't use ASIO exclusive for PCM. I guess I have to finally accept that no matter what DAC I get, it likely doesn't support it. That said, I actually might've found a different workaround for the audio renderer error thing with WASAPI, we'll see.

The iFi ZEN DAC 3 is amazing, simply put. It plays everything I've thrown at it and more... I even got the infamous MQA working through MC32 to the ZEN DAC 3. I like the volume control too, so if I decide to replace my speakers with powered studio monitors I can control the volume with them and use balanced outputs to the speakers. I also picked up a pair of AT ATH-M50x's and they sound great too with the DAC and its built-in amp. So even though I'm a little bummed about ASIO exclusive not working for PCM I'm quite pleased with this DAC upgrade.

IF I replace my speakers with studio monitors right now the ones in consideration are the KRK 5" Classics, the KRK ROKIT 5s, the Yamaha HS5s and finally the Audioengine A5+s. Would love to hear if anyone is using any of them what they think. :)

AGAWA:
Neumann or Genelec is a way to go. i prefer Neumann.

dtc:

--- Quote from: AGAWA on May 11, 2024, 03:56:04 am ---Neumann or Genelec is a way to go. i prefer Neumann.

--- End quote ---

Good speakers at a different price point. At that level there are lots of options for bookshelf speakers, not just monitors. But most are pretty big for an actual desktop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version