INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why does Genre offer values I have not used in my library?  (Read 419 times)

comox

• Galactic Citizen

It seems there was a change I missed. I would appreciate someone explaining what is going on.

In the past when I edited Genre I was presented only with values that I had previously used in my library.

Now when I edit Genre for media type image I am presented with a list of values that I have not used and never will use.

These values include: Actuality, Current, Analysis, Archive material, Background, Feature, Forecast, History, Obituary, Opinion, Polls & Survey, Profile, etc., etc.

I looked at the Manage Library Fields settings for Genre and see no way to clear these default values.

Please explain what's going on here. 

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: why does Genre offer values I have not used in my library?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 12:19:23 pm »

I don't see any of those genre values. The only time I see genre values that don't match my existing set is when I import something. Perhaps you accidentally imported something that uses those genre tags. Based on the values you listed, maybe a newspaper or newspaper article? Or book?

I also get a bunch of new/different genres when I download Cloudplay tracks since I have my own very specific way I categorize and name genres. If you recently downloaded something from Cloudplay, it might have included tracks/data that used those genre tags.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 02:16:32 pm »

Perhaps you accidentally imported something that uses those genre tags. Based on the values you listed, maybe a newspaper or newspaper article? Or book?

I also get a bunch of new/different genres when I download Cloudplay tracks since I have my own very specific way I categorize and name genres. If you recently downloaded something from Cloudplay, it might have included tracks/data that used those genre tags.

Thanks, that was my guess too but does not seem to explain what I see:

1) When I edit Genre for media types Audio, Video, Document I am presented with only choices I have previously used. When I edit Genre for media type Image I am presented with extra choices I have never used.

2) The extra choices are oddly separated from the genres I have previously used. They are randomly sorted as a group that precedes the alphabetically sorted group of genres I have previously used.

3) I double checked that no imported images use the extra genres. I suppose it's possible that some images I imported may have had those genres initially but I have definitely change the genre to one of my standard choices.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the recent changes to EXIF support?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 03:39:29 pm »

I missed that you specified image media type in your initial post. When I click on genre (in the tag window) for an image view, I now see exactly what you're talking about. I screenshot the entire list for JRiver's reference if needed.

That said, I think it is likely exactly what you said - new EXIF support. Or maybe a user requested these additional genres for their own MC image use case?

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 03:45:50 pm »

I think genre should behave consistently for all media types and should only offer values that have been previously used.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 05:40:48 pm »

I don't disagree.  Maybe these were intended as hidden fields but are being shown erroneously? Hopefully Matt can weigh in to clarify what is going on with these image only genre tags.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 07:00:27 pm »

I can reproduce and am investigating.   Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 08:11:52 am »

The behavior is a result of mapping Genre field to IPTC/XMP IntellectualGenre property.

1. Image genres can definitely be different from other media genre properties, personal preferences does not matter.
2. You don't have to use them, they are just presented as options because these "IntellectualGenre" properties are strictly mapped to certain codes, so the only way to make them conform to the standards is to present them as choices instead of letting users type them.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 09:58:09 am »

A little more explanation is in order:

When I mapped MC Genre to IPTC/XMP IntellectualGenre tag, I was presented with the dilemma of following the IPTC standard with a controlled vocabulary list of NewsCodes, and allowing users to enter free-text into the field.  I decided to take a hybrid approach, by allowing users to enter free text, but also presenting a list of text from IPTC NewsCode.  With this approach, we can satisfy the need of both worlds.

If the overwhelming sentiment is that we should just ignore the Controlled Vocabulary and use only free-text for Genre field, I am open to change it.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 11:27:03 am »

If the overwhelming sentiment is that we should just ignore the Controlled Vocabulary and use only free-text for Genre field, I am open to change it.

I find them noisy and illogical and annoying but can live with them. How about tidying things up by sorting them alphabetically and moving them as a group AFTER the group of user used genres?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 12:40:01 pm »

I find them noisy and illogical and annoying but can live with them. How about tidying things up by sorting them alphabetically and moving them as a group AFTER the group of user used genres?

That is what we can do if we decide to keep them.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 12:45:54 pm »

That sounds reasonable (a divider and IPTC codes or something?)

However, have you considered just creating your own genre field?
After 15 years, I've ended up doing this for many of the stock fields. It keeps any pre-tagged mess out of my library, and I personally find this a much better solution :)

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 12:51:34 pm »

That sounds reasonable (a divider and IPTC codes or something?)

However, have you considered just creating your own genre field?
After 15 years, I've ended up doing this for many of the stock fields. It keeps any pre-tagged mess out of my library, and I personally find this a much better solution :)

Adding another genre field would not work for me because other apps use the standard genre field which means I'd have to maintain genre in two fields.
Pages: [1]   Go Up