INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Column Alignment [marko]  (Read 240 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Column Alignment [marko]
« on: May 06, 2024, 07:39:28 am »

Marko said this about column alignment:
Please allow us to set a program default for list column alignment, or let it be set in field manager?

I get that people who code or spend days at a time in excel like their numbers right aligned, but my brain hates it. I initially think the column is empty, then realise it's right aligned, so set the alignment to left... for every affected column. It really irks me :)

Today when a column isn't specified, it simply uses the default with this logic:
return (m_nDataType == DT_NUMBER || m_nDataType == DT_NUMBER_INTEGER) ? JRT_RIGHT : JRT_LEFT;

One simple change is that we could make right-align of numeric fields an advanced option.

We could expand to allow setting alignment on a field-by-field basis, but that seems a little too dense to me.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: Column Alignment [marko]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 10:05:46 am »

Right-aligned numbers is the norm, Marko just needs a new brain  ;D
An advanced setting (left|center|right) is great, but I would leave the default as is.

A per-Field setting in the "Edit Field" UI would also work. As long as the default doesn't suddenly change, then I think both options are fine and don't add much clutter.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 12:15:50 pm »

One simple change is that we could make right-align of numeric fields an advanced option.
ooooh... yes please :) (though consider leaving things as-is and making the advanced option to be left-aligned?)
We could expand to allow setting alignment on a field-by-field basis, but that seems a little too dense to me.
Agreed.

Right-aligned numbers is the norm, Marko just needs a new brain  ;D
Agree re: "The norm", strongly agree re: "new brain" :D
An advanced setting (left|center|right) is great, but I would leave the default as is.
A per-Field setting in the "Edit Field" UI would also work. As long as the default doesn't suddenly change, then I think both options are fine and don't add much clutter.
A global setting would be preferred, especially if it's a simple thing, also, the current defaults shouldn't change.

@Matt, thanks for looking.

-marko.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 03:10:40 am »

For what it's worth, virtually all my views use centre alignment for numbers these days, but I'm also not overly bothered by how things stand as they are easy to change.  Also wouldn't be upset if they changed to centre by default.
Pages: [1]   Go Up