Windows > Third Party Plug-ins, Programs, and Skins

Display Bug: Options > Tree & View > List > Enlarge Scrollbars on mouse over (?)

(1/2) > >>

markf2748:
With the Subject option selected, a Standard View skin incorrectly draws the expanded Scrollbar VerticalHandle (same for horizontal handle).  It appears the handle's endpoint sub-images are stretched in one direction, but not the other, resulting in a distorted handle image during enlarged mouseover and during an enlarged scrollbar drag.  Many enlarged scrollbars have always looked goofy to me, and I think this is partly to blame.

Example:  I define the handle to be a simple rounded rectangle with (corner radius) = (rectangle narrow dimension) / 2, thereby giving smooth "half round" ends to the handle (see attachment, but I've seen the same issue with other handle images and other Standard View skins).  With the Subject option deselected everything looks good, nicely rounded as expected.  With the Subject option selected, the ends appear squashed, as if stretched in one direction but not the other.

I use the following code in the <SCROLLBARS> section of the skin's main.xml file:

--- Code: ---<Entry Name="VerticalHandle"  Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalHandle.png"  NumberImages="3" Margins="0,5,0,5" Scale="1" DrawMode="REGION_E_VSTRETCH"/>
<Entry Name="VerticalBackground" Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalBackground.png"  NumberImages="1" Margins="0,5,0,5" Scale="1" />
<Entry Name="VerticalUpArrow" Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalUpArrow.png"  NumberImages="3" Margins="0,0,0,0" Scale="1" />
<Entry Name="VerticalDownArrow" Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalDownArrow.png" NumberImages="3" Margins="0,0,0,0" Scale="1" />

--- End code ---

Seems like a bug to me.  I messed around with several other DrawMode values and did not find anything that changed the described behavior.  In any case, it cost me several frustrating hours to unravel this story while modifying a skin with the option selected.

General Comments re Subject option:  It's 100% an optical illusion, and I've decided never to use it (at least as currently implemented).  This option in no way affects the actual operation of selecting the scrollbar and scrolling: (1) It does not make it easier to initially "hit" the scrollbar (initial target area is not enlarged) (2) During scrolling, the LMB down mouse can be dragged anywhere on the screen while continuing to scroll (a good thing), irrespective of this option setting. (3) It has the annoying side affect of temporarily pushing all the Control Panel thumbnails to the left.

Note:  MC must be re-launched for a change in the Subject option to take affect.

Win11 Pro (64-bit) | Win10 Pro/Home (64-bit) | MC 32.0.49 (in beta)

Matt:
I have this option on and with the default skin it looks right.  Could you post a screenshot showing the problem?  Thanks.

markf2748:

--- Quote from: Matt on May 28, 2024, 01:44:12 pm ---I have this option on and with the default skin it looks right.  Could you post a screenshot showing the problem?  Thanks.
--- End quote ---
Screenshots attached.
With Enlarged Scrollbar, the half-round ends of the scrollbar handle are flattened compared to the full half-circle seen without the Subject option.  It looks as if there is sub-image stretching in the horizontal direction without equivalent stretching in the vertical direction.  The effect is not noticeable if the scrollbar handle is a squared-off rectangle.

The distortion can be very apparent, depending on length and size of the scrollbar, but always displays the same geometry.

I have not fully examined dependence on size of the original image, but from my limited testing it is independent of original image size.

Matt:
I think that's because of the margins on the handle images.  They have a margin that's set that doesn't stretch.  Then the inner part stretches.  You could remove the margins so it stretches uniformly if you preferred.

markf2748:

--- Quote from: Matt on May 28, 2024, 04:39:13 pm ---I think that's because of the margins on the handle images.  They have a margin that's set that doesn't stretch.  Then the inner part stretches.  You could remove the margins so it stretches uniformly if you preferred.
--- End quote ---
Thanks - removing the margins apparently corrects the problem (see attachment and simplified code below).

--- Code: ---<!--  Vertical Scrollbar -->
<Entry Name="VerticalHandle"  Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalHandle.png"   NumberImages="3" Scale="1" />
<Entry Name="VerticalBackground" Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalBackground.png"  NumberImages="1" Scale="1" />
<Entry Name="VerticalUpArrow" Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalUpArrow.png"  NumberImages="3" Scale="1" />
<Entry Name="VerticalDownArrow"  Bitmap="Scrollbar_VerticalDownArrow.png"  NumberImages="3" Scale="1" />
--- End code ---

That leaves two niggles when selecting the Subject option:

(1) When I initially mouseover the handle, there is a brief flash (~ 1 second) between the Up Image and the Over Image during which an un-enlarged Over Image appears.  This is especially apparent when the bright part of the Up Image is significantly narrower than the Over Image, as in the OP example.  I can't capture it, but it's there and is bothersome for this case.

(2) As mentioned in OP, with Subject option selected, the thumbnails shift left as the handle expands.  Then they shift back to right when done scrolling.  Rather annoying. 

The simplified code distorts the handle endpoints when not using Enlarged Scrollbars.  So I will go back to the original code with non-zero top/bottom Margins + DrawMode, and deselect the Subject option (I assume DrawMode requires a Margins callout to define sub-images).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version