INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help on video frame rate settings please  (Read 344 times)

comox

• Galactic Citizen
help on video frame rate settings please
« on: June 04, 2024, 12:28:50 am »

My monitor goes black for about 1.5 seconds (I think) whenever the frame rate changes.

Of late, every time I start or stop a video with MC my monitor goes black for 1.5 seconds. I want this to stop.

I've been fiddling with MC video settings in an area I do not understand and have found that if I set "Display Settings automatic change mode" to Off then this irritating monitor blanking stops.

Would someone who understands this area please tell me what settings I should use for these requirements:

1) I have a large collection of video encoded to various resolutions, quality, and frame rates.
2) I have a fast computer with a decent video card and a good 4K monitor.
3) My eyes are not super fussy.  I'd like video to play without my monitor blanking and I'd like to know I'm getting good enough quality given my hardware.

Thanks for your help.

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: help on video frame rate settings please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 01:07:54 am »

You can set it to one frame rate you prefer under custom but its pretty horrible as some rates will stutter or jump frames. Setting to auto is the correct way to always match frame rates of the source but it takes time for the display to change.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 01:18:39 am »

Thanks.

When I'm not using MC I use VLC for playing video.

VLC has no frame rate settings that I aware of my monitor never blanks with it.

What MC settings should I use to mimic VLC?

DocCharky

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 02:18:49 am »

Let's start with the basics, just in case.

In an ideal world, your display refresh rate is exactly equal to your media framerate. For example, 25 frames per second (fps) would match a display refresh rate of 25 Hertz (Hz).

In a less-than-ideal world, your display refresh rate is a multiple of your media framerate. For instance, if your media's framerate is 25 fps, and your display's refresh rate is 50 Hz, the player or renderer can simply display each frame twice. This approach works, but it's not always ideal, especially if you want to use motion interpolation on your display.

In a less desirable scenario, your display refresh rate and your media framerate don't match at all. For example, a framerate of 23.976 fps doesn't translate well to a 60 Hz display, which means that some frames will have to be displayed more times than others. This discrepancy can result in stuttering, juddering, or choppy motion. However, you can mitigate these issues using techniques like frame blending.

When you start a video, JRVR attempts to match the framerate and refresh rate, which may cause a brief blanking effect. This blanking is just your display switching to the new frequency, and it's a minor inconvenience, in my opinion.

If you don't want this behavior and prefer to have choppy motion (I honestly can't understand why anyone would want that, but to each their own), you can simply untick the option "Enable Automatic Display Settings changing" under "Display settings" (Tools > Options > Video > Display Settings).
Charky

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 05:15:12 am »

What MC settings should I use to mimic VLC?

You already identified the setting, didn't you?
Turn off frame rate changing if you don't want its behavior, and it would match VLC behavior, which also doesn't change refresh rate.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 01:47:37 pm »

Thank you very much DocCharky. I did not understand any of this before your explanation.

Thanks for confirming Hendrick. I'll turn it back on if my unfussy eyes see any problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up