INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What license do I need to run JRiver as a docker on UnRaid?  (Read 684 times)

kdsteele

• Recent member
What license do I need to run JRiver as a docker on UnRaid?
« on: August 04, 2024, 03:40:47 pm »

I currently have a Windows license for MC.  I am interested in running JRiver as a docker on UnRaid, but I'm a noob. I'm building my UnRaid server now and know little about Docker containers. Do I need a Linux MC license for this?  How do I play music from a Docker? Is it accessed from a browser? Does the Windows based client connect to the Docker? How about the Android app? I would appreciate any expertise or experience anyone would be willing to share.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What license do I need to run JRiver as a docker on UnRaid?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2024, 04:57:38 pm »

You should state what you use MC for before getting advice on whether to use the Linux version as a server but MC has at least 1 fundamental feature gap in a mixed os setup that makes it difficult to recommend (imo obviously). If you do go down that path then you need a master licence (to allow use on windows and Linux) . If you have no prior experience of Linux then going straight into MC on docker looks a fairly bold move as there's no official support and configuration/behaviour will be fairly specific to your setup. Without Linux experience, I would suggest going with a Linux VM on unraid instead to get comfortable. You can migrate to docker later if need be.

kdsteele

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2024, 09:03:09 pm »

Thanks - I use MC for streaming audio FLAC files to Windows and Android clients.   I do not use any video functions.  I also use the theater view to display info about the current playing selection on a large TV.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 02:39:17 am »

Thanks - I use MC for streaming audio FLAC files to Windows and Android clients.   I do not use any video functions.  I also use the theater view to display info about the current playing selection on a large TV.
so you use a windows client to display theatre view?

probably a linux server will work ok for you then as streaming audio is not typically a v demanding (i.e. unless you routinely try to stream some really high sample rate files with high channel counts) activity

kdsteele

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 08:12:14 pm »

so you use a windows client to display theatre view?
Yes
Pages: [1]   Go Up