INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SDR and HDR switching  (Read 806 times)

cunim

• Recent member
SDR and HDR switching
« on: August 01, 2024, 09:10:58 am »

My TV (LG G4) has automatic detection of whether the input is SDR or HDR.  So, for example, it sees my Apple TV as HDR and my 4K video player is seen as SDR or HDR, depending on the type of disc being played.  The JRiver PC is seen as HDR or SDR, depending on how Windows is set.  That all works seamlessly.

I have hundreds of SDR blu rays, and use JRiver to manage and play them on the PC.  Windows is set for HDR, because some of my applications use that and I don't want to keep switching modes.  Therefore, my TV always thinks it is getting HDR video from the PC, even though all of the source material JRiver is playing is actually SDR.  Of course, SDR movies do not look right on an HDR display.

Is there a way within JRiver to apply an icc profile or some other setting that optimizes SDR movies for display within an HDR Windows environment?  If there were, I would not have to swtich Windows from HDR to SDR mode every time I want to watch a ripped movie within JRiver.

Assume all my hardware and software is the latest, if that makes a difference.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: SDR and HDR switching
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2024, 02:14:28 am »

If you are using the latest version of MC32, and using JRVR in it, then MC should actually automatically output SDR video in such a way that it looks as intended on a HDR screen in HDR mode.
You can confirm in the JRVR settings if conversion to HDR is enabled - as well as potentially configure the intended brightness.

Depending on your calibration of the SDR mode, that may not be identical however, but it should be close to what a HDR movie on such a screen looks, just without making use of the extra brightness or color range that HDR offers.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: SDR and HDR switching
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2024, 04:27:16 pm »

Hendrik,

I am on MC32 and my SDR movies result in no signal to the display (LG OLEDC2) when trying to play them with HDR turned on in Win10 using JRVR.   As soon as I turn HDR off in Windows they appear in the OLED display.  Obviously, I don't want to have to turn off HDR in Windows each time I watch an SDR video.    So where is this conversion to HDR setting?  All I see under JRVR settings are two checkboxes for using the displays' HDR capability and automatically switch to HDR when starting playback plus the brightness settings.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up