INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much bandwidth necessary for Ntwk Drive IMPORT  (Read 1121 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
How much bandwidth necessary for Ntwk Drive IMPORT
« on: February 03, 2003, 05:36:14 am »

Im using a file server in my house on an old box w/ a 10Mb LAN (Half Duplex) (Sorry guys) .... and, every time I try to import files from the Remote Drive (Either Mapped to a drive letter or via \\RemotePC\Share), It runs my processor to 100%, and locks up after just a few files !!!

Anyone experience this one before ... MUST I have a 100Mb LAN in order to import from the remote drive ?

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
Re: How much bandwidth necessary for Ntwk Drive IM
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 06:30:58 am »

NOTE:  I hooked up the PCs on a 100Mb LAN and all worked GREAT, no lockups ... stuck them back on a 10Mb and all went to pot again .. UGH !

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 10:03:46 am »

Thers something else going on. 10 Mb/s is a (relatively) rapid 1.25 MB/s. Of course, there's some overhead dropping that down a bit. Sounds like you know networking so...?

Check your NIC settings (speed/duplex). Do you have latest drivers? Is the hardware the same as that you ran 100 Mb/s on?

10-27

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 10:42:40 am »

Im beginning to question the network config with the 10Mb LAN ... it consists of Linksys BEFSR41 connected to 10Mb Hub connected to 3COM NJ200 ... connected to PC.  
File Server is connected directly to BEFSR41 (100Mb for it)

When connecting the NJ200 directly to the Linksys, I cannot get connectivity (NJ200 blinks) ...

But, while writing this .. I realized there might be a problem with what I did ...
Would it make a difference whether I used the UPLINK port on the Linksys or a standard port ??

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 10:51:19 am »

Just a quick idea: If you're using Windows ME with system restore activated, sometimes network activity will fill the system restore directory with files and make a mess of it.

I import and play video- and audio files on a 22 mbit WLan (TrendNet), and that works without a hitch. It's not that much faster than a regular 10 mbit (actually it might be a lot slower when the signal is bad).  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 11:49:13 am »

Sorry, Mastiff, WinXP :)

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 12:11:19 pm »

I am no Networking Expert, so I will only chime in that I think the Uplink vs Regular Lan Port question could have something to do with it.  I believe the uplink port is for when you connect multiple hubs together, and could cause network trouble if not set up properly.  

I am sure that there are other more knowledgable people that can chime in here.

Drew

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 03:43:40 pm »

> I believe the uplink port is for when you connect multiple hubs together

Absolutely correct UNLESS your hub has a button (MDI / MDI-X on the HP ProCurve here) that can make that port standard. If there is no button than you need to use a crossover cable for any connection from it (to a NIC).

MDI does a cross over internally for use with straight thru cables for connection to hubs/switches. Use the MDI-X (no internal crossover) and straight thru cable for connection to NIC's. Your network will definitely malfunction without following these guidelines. I don't know if MDI is standard terminology...check your manual.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up