INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prismiq Media Player getting more press  (Read 795 times)

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
Prismiq Media Player getting more press
« on: February 03, 2003, 06:09:15 am »

Our local Austin TX paper has a writeup on the Prismiq Media Player ($250) ... looks interesting  ... www.prismiq.com

Harry_The_Hipster

Re: Prismiq Media Player getting more press
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 07:03:56 am »

I've thought about it, too. However, all of the stand-alone units seem to have the same limitations: no support for non-standard formats (Ogg, APE);  some limitations on file size; and limited ability to utilize MJ on the remote interface. If I'm understanding it correctly, the most you can do from the client is access a previously-organized m3u playlist. No opportunity to select files spur of the moment, unless you go to the server, which defeats the purpose.

That's why I'm leaning towards a networked laptop. pricier but more flexible.

HTH

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 10:05:29 am »

On this subject - I've just bought a new toy  ::)

Its the SLIMP3 which allows me to listen to music remotely in my house.  I'm using it over a wireless connection and it appears to work really well.  It even allows you to listen to internet radio.

I ordered it from the US and it arrived in the UK within 5 days.

The only drawback is it doesn't play APE so I'm using MP3.

You can see the device at the following URL:

http://www.slimdevices.com

I think devices like this will really take off over the coming year.  Many people just don't want a PC in the lounge - but a small device like this is ideal.

Have JRiver ever thought about going into the audio hardware market ?  If you designed a small device that could go anywhere in the home and link to Media Center running on the PC I would be in heaven (especially if it played APE files !).

:P

Mark

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 01:56:27 pm »

If I'm understanding it correctly, the most you can do from the client is access a previously-organized m3u playlist. No opportunity to select files spur of the moment, unless you go to the server, which defeats the purpose.

The Audiotron (info at http://www.audiotron.com) has buttons on the front that allow song, internet radio station, genre, playlist or any other selection criteria to be played (or queued).  It also allows control via a standard infra-red remote, and has a built-in web server.

I love mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up