INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Change Media Location Wizard  (Read 323 times)

Deribas

• Recent member
Issues with Change Media Location Wizard
« on: August 13, 2024, 01:15:49 pm »

I initially posted my question, by mistake, in the existing Windows JRiver thread on the same topic, where it received zero replies. Perhaps when positioned appropriately in the Mac sub=forum, it will merit a reply:

I came across this wizard in my MacOS MC32 after I had a crash on my media storage on a NAS. I rebuilt the large (11 TB) media folder on a new NAS from backups but gave the folder a somewhat different name than what it was when I was using the folder as the media location for the MC library.

When I start MC, the library is all there, but trying to play any album I get a “can’t find” error, and looking at the file fields, I see the path including the old name of the media folder, as expected. I did not rebuild or restore the MC library on my Mac as it was not affected by the crash.

In my attempt to use this wizard, I made sure that the NAS was connected to my Mac, started the wizard, pointed to the new-name media folder as the folder to search, and clicked on “migrate folder”. It then started an overnight search process. When it was finished in the morning, the library looked as before but still no luck playing files and the file paths still point to the old-name folder like nothing was changed. I quit and restarted the MC and still no apparent changes to the library being able to find the media in the new-name folder. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Update: I’m trying to run the change location wizard on individual sub folders of my large media folder. Some of these are organized by file type, I.e., FLAC  vs SACD-derived .iso files (DSD inside). The wizard gets pcm-based files’ location updated so that FLAC-encoded albums can play,  but the location of SACD .iso albums is NOT updated, and so MC cannot find and play them. Any clues why this doesn’t work?

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with Change Media Location Wizard
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 04:16:43 pm »

The database needs to point to the exact location of the media files. So you need to know exactly what the folder's path/name is.
Then, in MC, you can use F6 (Copy, Move, Rename) and in the top left drop down box select the last (bottom) option "update database to point to new location"
There, you add the exact folder path/name for you media folder (you can copy it from the file manager on your NAS).
That should make your media files accessible
Hope this helps!
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (33.0.20 64 bit): 2799
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (33.0.22 64 bit): 3557
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 | JRMark (33.0.22 64 bit): 9145
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (33.0.205 64 bit): 1426
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Deribas

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024, 12:17:57 am »

The database needs to point to the exact location of the media files. So you need to know exactly what the folder's path/name is.
Then, in MC, you can use F6 (Copy, Move, Rename) and in the top left drop down box select the last (bottom) option "update database to point to new location"
There, you add the exact folder path/name for you media folder (you can copy it from the file manager on your NAS).
That should make your media files accessible
Hope this helps!

Thank you  - I am trying your suggestion. I take it that the dialog box called up by F6 is the alternative to using the Change Media Location wizard. It seems like a powerful if somewhat confusing tool. It took me a bit to figure out that I had to have every album in my library highlighted in order to have the change apply to them. I also guessed that the option on the bottom (find and replace strings) is the one I want to apply.

The end result is that it seems to work (finds and plays) on a random sampling of SACD-derived albums, which were previously unable to be found. I may yet discover some exceptions but so far so good. Thank you again.

It may still be of interest to the JRiver software designers that the wizard i mentioned originally worked on PCM (FLAC and ALAC files) but not on SACD-sourced .iso files.

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 08:31:12 am »

I hear you and I'm happy you got it to work.
MC is extremely powerful but also complicated to master. It took me a while to figure out a lot of things but the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and helpful.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (33.0.20 64 bit): 2799
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (33.0.22 64 bit): 3557
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 | JRMark (33.0.22 64 bit): 9145
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (33.0.205 64 bit): 1426
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro
Pages: [1]   Go Up