INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GUI change request -- playlists  (Read 677 times)

nila

GUI change request -- playlists
« on: February 01, 2003, 06:41:05 pm »

Previously when people have mentioned GUI changes you've always replied saying to name specific small changes and they will be considered.

Here are a couple of things that I think would really help to just pull out some of MJ's features that are not so obvious and make them much more present to the users and therefore make them more likely to use them.

• After a playlist is created, a prompt box should appear saying: Would you like to create a view scheme to allow you to easily navigate the contents of this playlist:   yes/no (with a checkbox saying: 'remember my choice' so that it wont ever appear again).

It took me ages to get familiar enough with MJ to start using View schemes to navigate playlists and to realise that it was possible and what effect it could have. This would really help users to begin to understand the power that view schemes can have combined with playlists. I think it'd really help sell MJ a LOT and it'd require only MINOR programming work.

This one's slightly bigger programming wise.
  • Right now you have loads of smart lists to do 'tasks' in MJ like: files needing to be tagged, needing images etc. These are all located in the playlists node of the tree. The problem is, for people like myself who dont use playlists that much, we dont go into the playlist node much and so we are really not presented with these very often and so are not aware of their prescence. If an extra menu item called: 'Tasks' was added with all these smart lists and an option to add more smart lists to it, it would constantly be there for us to see and be made aware of it's prescence so we could use it and so it would get FAR more use.

This would require no screen space as it would just be an extra menu item at the top of the screen but would again bring some of MJ's huge powers more to the surface instead of leaving them somewhat hidden.

MJ has a LOT of features similar to these that are HUGELY powerful but you guys blend them into MJ so intuitively and natively that they just dont scream out and grab the users attention and make them aware of MJ's full power. Bringing them more to the surface with tiny changes like this wont require any big changes to GUI or anything else but will really help to make people aware of them as important features.

Matthias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: GUI change request -- playlists
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 05:46:12 pm »

I second this.  I will be setting up PC media centers for my neighbors, and would actually like to start doing it for more people as part of my computer business, and these suggestions will make MJ more attractive & useful.

~Matthias

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: GUI change request -- playlists
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 06:19:00 pm »

Yeah...but don't overdo it. Keep the interface clean and mean.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up