INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED - MC PC going to sleep  (Read 377 times)

davelr

• World Citizen
SOLVED - MC PC going to sleep
« on: October 05, 2024, 01:30:01 pm »

Need some help solving a recent problem. I have remote passive speakers back on my deck that I drive as zone 2 on a Denon X4400H AVR. I’ve used MC (currently running V31) DLNA server to source music to the Denon Heos app. The main reason I’ve done it this way is to be able to use MC playlists and Volume Leveling while using the Heos app to control the playlist, general volume, etc. I’ve used this setup for the past 4-5 years with no problems.

Of course the HTPC thats running MC must stay awake for this to function which in the past has not been an issue. For the past couple of weeks, however the HTPC has been entering sleep mode. I had assumed that MC was responsible for keeping the PC awake but it’s been so long since I set all this up that I don’t remember any of the details. If anyone can give me suggestions I’d really appreciate it. Tnx

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC PC going to sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 09:08:32 pm »

Thats a common quirk and it is with Windows not MC at the end of the day. Open Windows Power management by hit opening atart menu and typeing powercfg.cpl and enter to run., then choose the high Performance mode and change plan the settings as you wish.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 24 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound = 1/ Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 Speaker System, 2/ SMSL SU-1 DAC + TA-66 Tube Headphone Amp + Klipsch ProMedia Heritage 2.1 Speakers | HiFi Sound = 1/ Network DLNA to WiiM Ultra Streamer + Advaned Paris A10 Amp in Music Room, 2/ DLNA to Yamaha RX-V777 AV Receiver in Living Room & Outside Deck, 3/ DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

davelr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2024, 09:24:15 am »

Thanks, Dave. I assumed a recent Windows update probably triggered this but wasn't sure what to change. I've adjusted and will krrp my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

davelr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 03:23:28 pm »

Well that didn't work. Power mode set to Best Performance but the DLNA service does not keep PC awake past just a couple of minutes or so. If I login to a user session no problem. This is distinctly different behavior than in the past when it was not necessary to have a logged in user session. Any other suggestions very welcome. Thanks again.

Graham849

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2024, 08:33:20 pm »

davelr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2024, 09:16:09 am »

Thanks Graham, I'll see if I can devise a usable way of implementing this. Appreciate the suggestion.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2024, 11:21:27 am »

This is the setting you're looking for:

davelr

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2024, 02:15:25 pm »

Solved, at least I think so...
It took some digging but I finally found a setting that fixes the problem. In the event that someone else runs into this I'll give a better explanation of the problem and the setting that fixed it. I have no idea what in the update caused the change of behavior.

(and a thanks to Zybex for the suggestion, but the computer sleeping wasn't the problem)

I have an HTPC which primarily runs JRiver for music/Movies, the usual.

This system when booted auto logs in a user account and starts MC. It is left in this state whether being used or not and eventually will go to sleep. This setup has worked well for a number of years.

What the update changed was that the user login was shutdown due to inactivity which of course meant that MC was no longer running.

The fix involves changing a setting in security policy. Run SECPOL (local security policy) and navigate to the following:

Local Policies
   Security Options
      Interactive logon:Machine inactivity limit

This is probably set to "Not Defined", change it to be 0 seconds and the system will no longer kill the user logon.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

PS: I run Win 11 Pro on this system so I don't know if you can run SECPOL directly on a Home system or not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SOLVED - MC PC going to sleep
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2024, 03:00:49 pm »

Thanks for posting your notes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up