INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View - jumping forward in time has unexpected behavior now  (Read 240 times)

bogdanbz

• World Citizen

I have just started using build 27 and the issue reported in this thread is now solved. Thank you!

I noticed another unexpected change in behavior however, not in a good way in my view.

I am using the Explorer plugin in Theater View to navigate to folders with video files in them. I navigate to the folder where the file I want to play is located, and then I move the cursor over the file I want to play with the keyboard "down arrow" key, and press the "Play" key combination (Ctrl+P) or press the keyboard Play/Pause media key when the cursor is over it. The file starts playing, which is fine.

If I press the right arrow key during playback, then playback jumps forward in time, which is as expected.

If I press the right arrow key, and the playback is near the end of the file so that the jump would go over the remaining time:
- what used to happen was that playback jumped to the end of the file and stopped there
- what happens now is that playback of the next file in the folder starts, which is unexpected (and doing the reverse - pressing the left arrow key to go back - does not jump back to the previous file in the folder either)

I prefer the old behavior of the playback stopping when jumping forward in the file, if the jump goes over the duration of the file.

The PgUp and PgDn keys work to start the playback of the previous or the next file in the folder, so this behavior of the right arrow key is not necessary to play the next file in the folder, and is in fact unexpected.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
Re: Theater View - jumping forward in time has unexpected behavior now
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2024, 03:30:03 pm »

And it seems there's more...

This behavior is not something that happens only when skipping forward in the file close to its end, but if you leave a video file to play till it reaches its end, MC will start playing automatically the next file in the folder.

I think this qualifies as a bug now, the next file in the folder should not start playing automatically, when you start playback of a file in the folder you just want to play that file and not have the rest of the folder content be treated like some sort of a playlist.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2024, 04:06:42 pm »

Make sure you actually start playing with "Play" or "Watch", and not Play All/Watch All. Otherwise that would be expected behavior.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 04:32:59 pm »

I'm using Ctrl+P (and the keyboard Play/Pause media key), which according to the default Resource.xml file means MCC command 10000 and which according to https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands means MCC_PLAY_PAUSE. So it's the "normal" single file play command (or at least that's how it has always been in MC till now).

Btw, I just noticed one more thing: when I am in the Explorer plugin in Theater View and start playing a file in a folder, it looks like all the files in the folder are added to the "Playing Now" playlist.

This did not happen before. When I started playing a file, the other files in the folder were not added to the "Playing Now" playlist.

Maybe this is related to why when a file ends the next one starts playing immediately.

And another observation: if you double click on a file in Windows Explorer (instead of Theater View), the other files in the folder do not get automatically added to the "Playing Now", and skipping past the end of a file, or waiting for the file playback to end, does not automatically start playing the next file in the folder. It's only when starting playback from within the Explorer plugin in Theater View that this thing happens.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2024, 02:37:55 pm »

I just updated to build 30.

Not only does build 30 do the same when skipping at the end of the file, but I just had the first crash right after it automatically started playing the next file in the folder on such a skip. It doesn't happen all the time though, seems to be a random crash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up