INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 PRO  (Read 1055 times)

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
MP3 PRO
« on: January 15, 2003, 10:50:23 pm »

Can MC play MP3 PRO files.  I understand that they will play on any MP3 capable player but that they will normally be of lesser quality.  Does MC retain the PRO layer, hence better Q files and if not is there any way to convert them into a format that MC can read??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

ChicoSelfs

Re: MP3 PRO
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 01:35:55 am »

MC don't play Mp3PRO, the only way to play Mp3PRO is using the in_mp3pro.dll from Winamp but using that in MC you can't change tags only playback the files
Made in Portugal

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 02:09:08 am »

An interesting thread about MP3pro I came across over at Hydrogen Audio:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=16&t=5721&hl=&s=38e2fd0aebf8153347dabf0784269fed

It's only useful for bitrates up to ~96-112 kbps, because above that the SBR technology makes things worse again than using plain MP3.

Another question is the long-term future of this format, because it will probably be replaced with aacPlus from the same company as soon as they (and the MPEG working group) are ready to release the codec. As mp3PRO is not part of any MPEG standard (and will never be), its basis for a further industry development is much smaller than for aacPlus that will be a core part of the worldwide MPEG-4 standard.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 02:53:06 am »

If you mean do MJ will play your mp3pro.
The answer is yes.
But without the specific mp3pro quality- if there is any.

Now let me tell you something.
I did some mp3pro with MusicMacht

I played them in MJ and MM.
I cannot see any difference using one or an other player

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 03:30:20 am »

The reason I asked is because I am downloading some files that have been encoded in MP3PRO.  I would rather have them in bogstandard MP3.  They have been encoded at 64 kpbs.  What does that compare to in normal MP3 terms??  I encode all my own things at VBR High Quality.  I'm guessing it won't be equvalent to that??  Once I have the files is there any way to convert them to nomral MP3 but maintain the extra quality??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 04:11:32 am »

64kbps MP3pro is maybe slightly better in sound quality than 96kbps MP3.

...is there any way to convert them to nomral MP3 but maintain the extra quality??

No, converting them to MP3 will only make the quality worse.  It's like making a copy of a copy...each one is a little worse than the one before it.  It would be best just to leave them as they are.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 05:03:41 am »

first play them in MC and see if the sound is ok
But DO NOT  convert them.
You may end with a very poor quality.
The only raison you may have to convert them is if you have a mp3 player.
In this case keep the origial as it is
Pages: [1]   Go Up