INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nomad II and MC9  (Read 1808 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Nomad II and MC9
« on: December 02, 2002, 04:31:27 am »

What do I have to do to get the Nomad II working under MC9? I did what I used to do for 8, installed the drivers and the plugin (I even installed the Nomad Manager) but no luck. MC just gives me some weird error message (sorry, I don't have it with me, I'll post screenshots tonight when I get home, though) and then tells me that it's not connected.

Even though the Nomad says it's connected, XP says it's connected, and the Nomad Manager can see the memcard just fine.

Any ideas?

SteveG

Re: Nomad II and MC9
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 05:11:58 am »

Doof,

Do you have MJ 9.0.84? If not please get this version.

Thanks,

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 06:21:55 am »

Yeah, that's the version I'm using.

I'll post more detailed info when I get home tonight. I meant to last night, but I got distracted by the TV. :P

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 12:55:37 pm »

Okay, here are the exact error messages I'm getting.

followed by

and then

Here's my system info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.84 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1664 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 340 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: HP CD-WRITER+ 9300   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:10  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Drive G: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 05:33:58 am »

Doof,

Can you go to the registry and check that under Local Machine\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Handheld you have an entry for NomadII?

This will give me an idea of what the problem is. Thanks,

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2002, 06:08:56 am »

I do, in fact, have a registry key for the Nomad.

Would a corrupt memory card cause behavior like this? I haven't used this thing in quite some time, and I don't know how good the memory card is. I did notice that the Nomad Manager can't upload to it either, although it was able to display the contents of it, and format it. But MC can't even display it without crashing.

I'd hate to go buy a new card for this thing only to find out that's not the problem, but it's definitely something I'm willing to do if it IS the problem. :P Any way of finding out?

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2002, 06:28:39 am »

Do you have USB Smart Media reader?  If not, they're about $20 and very handy to have around especially if you have a digital camera or something that also uses removable cards.  
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 06:11:00 am »

Doof,

Another thing to try is removing the drivers for the Nomad II and then reinstalling the stand alone drivers from Creative's site. This could be a solution and might explain why you can't upload to it with Creative's software either.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2002, 10:10:04 am »

Also,

Later today there will be a new version of MJ 9 (9.0.87). Please get this version and redownload the Plug-in to make sure that it is not a registry problem.

Thanks,

Steve

cubetronic

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2003, 12:34:25 am »

i have a brand new nomad ii and mc 9.0.88, and i was recieving the same exact error messages as doof... (the three windows, where the last one says something about making sure the device is connected and on)..   so, i downloaded the stand alone driver (nomad2drivers.exe from creative.com) and the problem is solved! voila!

i'm so happy i don't have to use some other cheesy software (ahem musicmatch coughcough) just to get tunes on my portable, media center is so good at organizing everything, i love it...  and thanks for the support peoples..

:D cheers, cubetronic

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 05:50:35 am »

I completely lost track of this thread.. :P

But after finding it again and getting caught up, I tried the drivers that were mentioned earlier, and it's all working now. Just wanted to let you know.

Although something funky happened to me last night. I transferred a bunch of files to the Nomad and when I tried to upload them, it kept telling me that one of the files I had selected was invalid. It couldn't find the path that was specified in MJ's database. The problem is, it wasn't listing it in the queue, so I couldn't delete it from the queue. I had to wipe the entire queue and then redo it all.

And then, after I clicked Upload, MJ did it's thing and everything seemed to go well. I was watching TV while it was transferring, so when it finished it was just displaying the contents of the Nomad for a while. Still no problem. At some point, the Nomad did it's timed shutdown, and MJ was still displaying the contents. A little later, I grabbed my remote, and hit the button to play one of my playlists. At this point, MJ displayed an error message asking me to confirm that the Nomad was on. I clicked OK, and then MJ crashed.

Also... I haven't played with the handheld stuff for quite a while, but I thought there was a way to re-order files in the queue before uploading them? Oh... did I have to have it set to display only those files in the queue? I didn't try that... and I also thought there was something that would display the estimated space used before uploading. Like a popup or something right as I sent items to the nomad.

I see that the status box in the handhelds screen shows me the amount of space available after upload, the free space on the nomad, and the amount of space that the uploaded files will take, but it doesn't seem to be accounting for the conversion when calculating that last one. It was showing me something like 27 MB free after upload, 64 MB free on memcard, 114 MB to be uploaded. So those numbers don't seem to agree. How can I have 27 MB free after uploading 114 MB to a 64 MB memcard?

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 08:19:02 am »

Hello Doof,

" I transferred a bunch of files to the Nomad..."

You will get that message if you are trying to transfer a file with an invalid path,(i.e. you have removed a file from your PC without updating the MJ Library). If you update your library, this should go away.

"At this point, MJ displayed an error message asking me to confirm that the Nomad was on. I clicked OK, and then MJ crashed. "

Did you check that your Nomad was powered on before you clicked OK?

"I thought there was a way to re-order files..."

There is.  Right click on Nomad and select "Show Queued Files Only". This will allow you to modify the order.

"It was showing me something like 27 MB free after upload, 64 MB free on memcard, 114 MB to be uploaded. So those numbers don't seem to agree. How can I have 27 MB free after uploading 114 MB to a 64 MB memcard? "

This is taking into account the conversion. Depending on the conversion selected, you could have 27 MB free on a 64MB card after an upload that is greater than 64MB.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up