INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions/Praise  (Read 1136 times)

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Suggestions/Praise
« on: January 02, 2003, 02:02:44 am »

MJ8 was a little crash-prone on my Win98se system and I was hesitant about "upgrading" to a beta version of 9 for fear of even more instability.  I don't recall what it was that prompted me to install MC9, but I did a few days before Xmas and I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised by how stable it is running on this machine.  Much better than MJ8  :)

Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions regarding the file properties that makes editing tags a little easier (IMHO).  I wasn't sure where to put these, so let me know if I should post them in the Wish List or move them to the appropriate thread.

1. In Tools/Options/Tree & View Settings I've renamed all three custom fields.  However, when I right-click on a file and choose Properties, the fields are still named Custom 1, Custom 2 & Custom 3.  It would be great if the new names for these fields showed up here, since I don't seem to always remember what each custom field was renamed as.  ?

2. In MJ8, when you clicked on the Genre field in Properties to edit tags, you would get a drop-down list of the genres already being used in your library.  This was a very handy feature since I don't always remember exactly how I named a genre previously.  For example, did I spell it "Downtempo" or "Down Tempo"?  Without the drop-down, I have to stop and look thru the Genre view scheme to see what was used.  Also, IIRC, the Artist field also used  a drop-down list in MJ8.  It would be great if this could be the case again in MC9.

Thanks,

Rob

Listening to: 'Parachute' by 'Shakatura' in Media Center 9

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Suggestions/Praise
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 05:17:12 am »

>> 1. In Tools/Options/Tree & View Settings I've
>> renamed all three custom fields.  
i also noticed it does not update the Top Bar (Field Name) properly untill you close MC and reboot it.

I have not tested that latley

I would like to move the properties window to the bottom, since i normaly need to move the properties all the way open to get to the file name to maybe copy and paste artist name or song name into a field that has not been taged properly.

about the Genre list, matt said at one point they were going to get away from providing Genre lists. I don't really see this as a problem for my self since i don't like labeling music files with abscure Genres that mean nothing.

I seen this Genre the other day

Scrachin My Assin Billy-Bop-Rock

whats that all about?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 05:28:10 am »

Well, there's a difference between providing a premade genre list and just displaying the genre's you yourself are already using. That's what rocketsauce is talking about. Just a dropdown list that shows the genres already in use. And I agree, that was very nice and I wish it were back. As an interim solution, you CAN drag a file to a view scheme that shows the genres and that file will be given the genre you drag it to. Be careful, though... if you have a view schemd of Genre - Artist - Album and you drag a file into the Album part of the view scheme, you'll assign that file the same genre, artist and album as the one you dragged it to.

I also agree about the Custom field names. Even though I don't use them much.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 05:38:20 am »

Field renaming

Agreed -- we still need to flush this area out.

Drop-lists

Agreed again.  However, it's a speed thing for now.  If we need to build a list of all the values used for every field, that's slow.  We need to make those lists dynamically fill...

Hey, and nice picture rocketsauce :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 05:50:56 am »

Well, the way it worked before, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the only field that populated its values from the entire library was Genre. The rest only populated from the values of the selected files. Does that bog things down a lot?

I can see a need to have every value populated the same as genre, but I can also see how utterly uselsess that could be in other circumstances as well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 06:00:34 am »

I can see a need to have every value populated the same as genre, but I can also see how utterly uselsess that could be in other circumstances as well.

Special cases are evil.  However, how's this:

List values used by selected files (what we list now)
Divider
List all library values

Make the combobox have "auto-complete".

However, what the world needs first is a unicode Media Center :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2003, 06:40:35 am »

Yeah, that sounds good. Hopefully the speed impact won't be too bad.

And yes, by all means, get the Unicode stuff done so we can a new build and move on to other stuff!

What are you doing on Interact anyway! Shouldn't you be coding!?! ;)

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2003, 10:29:29 am »

Hey, and nice picture rocketsauce

Thanks  ::)

Well, the way it worked before, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the only field that populated its values from the entire library was Genre. The rest only populated from the values of the selected files.

I believe this is how it was in MJ8 and it seemed to work very nicely.  :)

I really liked the way the Properties editor worked in 8.  It seemed pretty straight forward...to me anyway.  I've only been using 9 for about 2 weeks, but I'm not getting the hang of it as easily as I did with the one in 8.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 10:21:46 am »

You are right ,it was like it in MJ8.
There is a lot of music i set by genre \countrys.
And ,as you ,i miss this now.
But they have much more important thinks to do right now.
They may see about it latter.
If not we will just post again ans again...
I'am very good at it....

And YES this MC9 is just a total winner.

Pages: [1]   Go Up