INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to MC9. First thoughts  (Read 1383 times)

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
New to MC9. First thoughts
« on: December 30, 2002, 05:05:27 pm »

Just moved from MJ8 to MC9.0.89
Firstly, looks great. Lots of good new stuff in there.
Also, sorry if some of these have been mentioned before. I had a rummage in the forum and couldn't find answers to any of them.

1. When I upgraded my database, it took ages but didn't seem to import most of the fields I had set. e.g. all the Names of my avi files were taken from their filenames, not their names in the MJ8 db. The only files that really worked OK were the MP3's which have their tags in the files.

2. MJ8 made real progress with keyboard usability. I could do everything I wanted with keyboard mappings from my remote. MC9 is a big step back in this area. e.g.
Tab only takes you from the tree to the search field, not to the tracks.
When you're in the tree, Ctrl-W, Ctrl-W moves the focus to the search field for some reason
Pressing Alt-Enter to bring up the file properties window puts keyboard focus on the General tab, allowing you to expand and collapse it, but tab away and you can't get back to it. In fact, there's no way to expand a collapsed tab with the keyboard

3. Is there any way to get the old Album Artist behaviour back? Using "Album Artist" in a view scheme gives you (unassigned) for single artist albums, and using "Album Artist (auto)" gives the "(multiple artists)" for compilations. I like the old way where I'd see the album artist (e.g. Cafe del Mar, Bassic Instinct etc.) if it was there, otherwise the artist. Can this be done with the new method?

4. Why has Image Location been removed from Find and Replace?

5. What's with the search bar? Every time I type an expression it understands, it underlines it and won't let me edit it. e.g. type
album=bond
and it lists both my James Bond soundtrack albums, but then promptly converts it to
Album: bond
and clicking on that requires me to select individual albums. It trying to be much too helpful.

6. Matt promised us aspect ratio control for video playback.  Consider yourselves reminded:
\http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1023711829

More as I think of them :) but keep up the good work.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New to MC9. First thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 03:21:46 am »

>> it underlines it and won't let me edit it
right click, it will
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 04:23:33 am »

3. Is there any way to get the old Album Artist behaviour back? Using "Album Artist" in a view scheme gives you (unassigned) for single artist albums, and using "Album Artist (auto)" gives the "(multiple artists)" for compilations. I like the old way where I'd see the album artist (e.g. Cafe del Mar, Bassic Instinct etc.) if it was there, otherwise the artist. Can this be done with the new method?

There's A LOT of people who want the old Album Artist behavior back (including me). But Matt won't budge. :P

And to answer your question... no. But if you wanted to take the ungodly amounts of time it would take... you can create a new field (call it AlbArt or something) that contains the information you want, then add it all in by hand. Meaning, for EVERY SINGLE FILE you'll need to add in what Artist you want to show up. And then you can create a view scheme for that. It's really not worth the time and energy that's better spent conforming to and/or complaining about the new method (like me). ;)

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 08:51:55 am »

bump, mostly for these:

2. MJ8 made real progress with keyboard usability. I could do everything I wanted with keyboard mappings from my remote. MC9 is a big step back in this area. e.g.
Tab only takes you from the tree to the search field, not to the tracks.
When you're in the tree, Ctrl-W, Ctrl-W moves the focus to the search field for some reason
Pressing Alt-Enter to bring up the file properties window puts keyboard focus on the General tab, allowing you to expand and collapse it, but tab away and you can't get back to it. In fact, there's no way to expand a collapsed tab with the keyboard

4. Why has Image Location been removed from Find and Replace?

6. Matt promised us aspect ratio control for video playback.  Consider yourselves reminded:
\http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1023711829

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 08:59:24 am »

Bump this again once the new Unicode build is out and working and we'll chew through these.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up