INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other Users in XP can't access my music  (Read 876 times)

prcarr

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Other Users in XP can't access my music
« on: December 16, 2002, 10:23:16 pm »

I have several users set up on my XP Pro System.
How do I allow them to access my files (on a seperate hard disk to MJ Programme).

They are shown my Library but when you select a song to play it says the path is not valid.

Can anyone help ?

JHC

• Recent member
Re: Other Users in XP can't access my music
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 07:25:24 am »

Is the drive that the music is installed on a local drive on the machine? If not and if it is a network drive, do those other users have the same mapped drive set up?

If it is a local drive, do the other users have permissions on that drive? Is XP installed on NTFS or FAT32?

Jonathan

prcarr

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 03:55:58 pm »

Hi

My System is set up as follows:-
XP Pro
80 Gig HD Divided into 4 partitions.CDEF
Media Centre is on C
Music Files are on E
Drive is NTFS Format

I have tried to share the music folder but it tells me to drag it to shared documents, I have done this but it still won't work.

Thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

Ozbert

JHC

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 08:58:16 pm »

Ozbert,

There are two ways you can do this.

Probably the best way is for you to enable Media Server on your copy of Media Center. You can do this from the Tools menu. You can also set options like having Media server start every time Windows starts etc.

Then everyone else, opens their copy of Media Center and goes to the File menu and select Library. They can try to search for running Media Servers (i.e. your machine) if this is found, they'll be able to see your library and play music without you having to share folders etc. If Media Center can't find your server automatically, they can manually set it up by adding your machine address from the Library Manager dialog in the following format:

m01p://yourmachinename

This is really the best way because even though they can connect, they won't be able to accidentally erase files etc.

Otherwise, if you want to do the things the file sharing way, you need to right-click on the folder where you are storing music and select "sharing..." and set up a share for that folder. The only catch is that other users will have to connect to that share by mapping a drive with the same drive letter that you are using (i.e. e:) so if they already have a drive e:, this won't work.

The first way is really better.

Let us know how you make out.

Jonathan

Pages: [1]   Go Up