INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large playlist problem  (Read 1257 times)

Renegade

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Large playlist problem
« on: December 06, 2002, 06:06:39 pm »

Well, I've been trying out the betas as fast as they're coming.  I keep having the same problem though.

I access all my mp3's from a windows share on another PC.  When loading a large playlist MC just seems to hang forever and won't start playing the mp3's.  I've let it sit there for well over 30 minutes and eventually just kill the process.  If I take the same playlist and dump it to Winamp it doesn't seem to have a problem with it.  

I would love to keep MC.  It's a great program and the iPod plugin just puts it over the top.  Any help would be appreciated.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Large playlist problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 06:26:21 pm »

A little more info would help...

What's "large" mean?  20 tracks?, 200?  2000?
Does a "small" playlist work?
Is the playlist an internal MC playlist from the library or an external one?
If external, what format? Can you import the playlist and play it?
How exactly are you "load"ing it?  
Do the tracks from the playlist show up in Playing Now?
What does the player window say?
Can you manually add the first few tracks of the playlist to playing now and get them to play?
Are the tracks already in the MC library?

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Renegade

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 06:51:30 pm »

Sorry... guess I should have given a little more info.  :)

Anyway...  the playlist has just over 1000 songs on it.  

Small lists, like a random 1 hour audio, seem to work on a more consistent basis.  Not everytime... but it's still beta, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Originally, I added all the mp3's to the media library and created the playlist from that.  Since then I have also exported that same playlist to m3u and tried "Playing" it from the right click menu in explorer.

If I right click on the playlist in MC and tell it to "Play" this will happen everytime.  At this point MC locks up and I have no idea if they show up in Playing Now or not.  If I tell it to add to "Playing Now" it happens slightly less than always.

The player window doesn't really say much of anything.  The screen just freezes.  If I bring another window in front and try to go back to MC I can't.  It won't respond to anything I've tried.

If I select say the first 6 tracks in the playlist and try to add them to Playing Now it does the same thing.

Yep.

Would it make any difference if I mapped a drive the share vs. using the UNC?

I think that's everything... let me know if there is anything else I can try.

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 08:18:49 pm »

I'm thinking it's a problem playing the files not the playlist itself so hold off on playlists until playing individual tracks is working OK.  

If you can, clear your library.  If you've got stuff you need to keep, create a new scratch library for this test.
Now try mapping the share to a drive letter, then import the first few tracks of the playlist that fails using the drive letter and try to play them.  Don't import the playlist, just the tracks.  If that DOESN'T work, try copying the files to the local machine, import and try to play.

What operating systems are being used and what networking method?  Post the results of "Help / System Info" for the client machine.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Renegade

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 03:28:57 pm »

Well, thanks for the help.

I cleared out my media library and using the UNC was able to add half a dozen tracks to Playing Now and they played without any problems.  So I added them to the media library and created a playlist out of them.  That worked to.

I'm reimporting my mp3's into the media library as I type this.  Guess I'll play around with it some more and see what happens.  If it does happen again maybe I'll switch back to version 8 again and hold off on MC for awhile.

Renegade

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 03:14:52 pm »

It would seem I spoke to soon.  Everything was working great after I cleared out my Media Library.  And I was able to play mp3's without any problems after re-importing all of them.

Tonight when I booted up my PC though, I'm right back to where I was.  The songs I was playing last night were still in Playing Now and I hit play and then nothing.  MC just sits there, I assume trying to access the files.  So while MC is sitting there I pop open Winamp, hit play, and get music.

I'm not sure what else to try.  I'm willing to work through this for awhile, but would appreciate some suggestions.

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2002, 05:03:36 pm »

Did you try importing them via a mapped drive letter to see if it makes a difference?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2002, 06:10:00 pm »

Renegade,
Another suggestion - Before you click play, access the folder using windows explorer and make sure you get to it no problems. Then try clicking play.

It could be a case of windows wanting to verify user name and password etc for the network but no prompt being given as your trying to do it through MJ first. Once you'd accessed through explorer it willl have verified these so MJ might work :)

Just an idea. Try it, see what happens.

Renegade

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2002, 06:15:30 pm »

Well, so far so good.

I cleared out my media library again, downloaded the newest beta and reimported everything via a mapped drive.

I'd rather not use a drive letter, but it's a small price to pay.  I'd just like to say thanx for everyone for the suggestions.  Hopefully everything will continue to go well.

BTW, this forum is the main reason I'll be sticking with MC.  I admit it, I panicked and downloaded musicmatch. They can't even seem to get the app to not freeze the UI between tracks.  AND don't offer any support for non paying members.  Gee thanx... ya I'll send my check right over.

Well again, thanx for the help guys.  Hopefully this is the last time ya hear from... well on this anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up