INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pick a Playlist?  (Read 755 times)

drbenson

• Recent member
  • I'll never buy 'til it's lossless
Pick a Playlist?
« on: December 05, 2002, 01:12:38 pm »

When I create a playlist, where in the Windows file system does it go? I can't seem to find 'em.

The reason I ask is that I'm setting up a frontend for my HTPC, and I'd like to present a list of existing playlists in the interface so a user can pick one and have MC9 open and play it automatically.

I can do this in Windows Media Player 9 by simply asking the system to open a .WPL file in the My Playlists folder- due to file associations, the playlist opens in WMP9 and plays. I can also add the playlist name to the command line for WMP9 and do it that way.

Can something similar be accomplished in MC9, or am I at another dead end? I prefer the ASIO output and other advantages of MC9. Thanks in advance for any help.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pick a Playlist?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 08:02:44 pm »

Can something similar be accomplished in MC9, or am I at another dead end? I prefer the ASIO output and other advantages of MC9. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been working on this for the past several weeks. I'm working on a multiple control system where I can choose by playlist, by album, or by artist. See my thread here:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1038028931

Matt very helpfully pointed out this piece of documentation from the Developer's Zone of MJ:

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/CommandLine.html

There are other ways to go about it...MJ recognizes m3u (Winamp) playlists if you set up the file associations correctly. You can export your MJ playlists as .m3u files and use whatever method you want to launch them. Although the system I've created is more complex initially, it's much easier to extend (& I'm finding it easy to automate).

Good luck!
Brad

drbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 06:50:53 am »

Thanks so much! That was just the information I needed. Now if I can find the time to actually understand it all....

drbenson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 09:56:09 pm »

A difficulty. Based on the info provided- I printed the thread and article- I came up with this command line to play a playlist called Om which I created in MC9:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mjextman.exe /play treepath=playlists\om

When I put this into the Run command for testing, it opens MC9 ok, but I get an warning box saying "Media Jukebox was unable to play any of the files in the playlist. Please make sure that the path int the Media Jukebox library points to the right location. Also double check to make sure that you are not unintentionally filtering these files." Click the OK button twice, and I'm back to MC9.

If I then click the Om playlist in the tree, the files are all there and play fine. Is this a bug, or can someone look at the command line and see if I've screwed the syntax somewhere? Thanks.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 06:03:27 am »

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mjextman.exe /play treepath=playlists\om

When I put this into the Run command for testing, it opens MC9 ok, but I get an warning box saying "Media Jukebox was unable to play any of the files in the playlist. Please make sure that the path int the Media Jukebox library points to the right location. Also double check to make sure that you are not unintentionally filtering these files." Click the OK button twice, and I'm back to MC9.

I haven't actually tried the command line options in MC9. I've been using MJ8 until Matt takes off his warning about getting more bug reports than could be fixed... :)

I have gotten that error, but it was due to some stupid errors I had made. First, make sure your back & forward slashes are correct (FWIW, your command above looks right to me in terms of this). Second, I don't know if case matters, but you might try "TREEPATH" and "Playlists". Also, make sure that your playlist isn't in a "Folder" (like "Mixes", etc.). The TREEPATH modifier needs the full path to the file, just like Windows. Finally, make sure you are pointing to the correct path for mjextman.exe. In MJ8, it's actually in the MJ install folder. I seem to recall that it had been moved for MC9, but that's something to check out.

Let us know how you fare...
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up