INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MJ9 support burning directcd format?  (Read 1004 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Does MJ9 support burning directcd format?
« on: December 01, 2002, 05:37:48 pm »

I often copy music I want to listen on my MP3 CD Player to a directcd formatted CDRW. I prefer this to erase/burn method MJ uses because, it is faster to make small changes this way. Delete that album, add another one and you go, etc...

Does MJ support copying mp3 files to a directcd CDRW, in an efficient way?

Currently I am locating the folder of each album using "Locate File" in MJ and copy the folder using explorer to the CD. This is inefficient. It would be nice to have support for this operation in a similar way burning in MJ works. I guess the new explorer in MJ9 could somewhat simplify that, but I still don't know how to do that efficiently.

I don't think that this should be difficult to implement. Maybe even the "external application" feature of MJ could be used to call an external copy command. Do you have "special words" that are expanded during the execution of the external command other than [FILENAME]? for example, part of the feature described above could be implemented with an external copy command:

copy [FILEFOLDER]/*.*  D:/[FILEFOLDER]

Any comments on how people use directCDs with MJ9?

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
Re: Does MJ9 support burning directcd format?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 12:26:07 am »

There should be no problem in using the MC9 Copy-Move Tool to a DirectCD formatted CDRW. I've not tried it, but I'll do and will post any further information.
The only problem with Copy-Move is that you can only copy selected files in a single folder: I had posted a Wish to have the same folder flexibility in Copy-Move which is available in the Burn dialog, but have received no answer.
Luigi
Luigi1943

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 08:38:46 pm »

I've tested copying MP3 files to a directcd  CDRW. It works regularly.
Luigi
Luigi1943

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 08:44:41 am »

I hate to use Copy-Move tool to copy files to a direct CDRW. I believe that these are low level operations that should be done carefully. (not in every day usage).

I have just created a temporary direct CDRW to listen today on MP3 CD player. Instead of copy, I hit move. Since I have considered the CD temporary, I could easily have deleted the files and loose them.

The point is: operations such as burning a CD that does not change the database, should be not close to operations such as Move that change the database.

direct CDRW should be supported as easily as any handheld device. It is probably not diffucult to implement with the handheld plug-in interface?

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 08:46:05 am »

I have forgotten to say that, I have started a wish list on that:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/wish_list/wish.pl?ID=636

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 09:30:03 pm »

The Move operation changes the database, Copy doesn't. I don't see any danger in using Copy: it can do a perfect job in building temporary CDRW to listen for a while. Of course, you can't delete copied files from MJ database (which has no trace of them), but must do it from Explorer.
Luigi1943
Pages: [1]   Go Up