INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder Remote Plugin - ATI Remote Wonder  (Read 3055 times)

sraymond

Girder Remote Plugin - ATI Remote Wonder
« on: November 30, 2002, 04:44:44 pm »

Any guess on when the Girder remote plug-in will work with V9?  I'm anxious to get my ATI Remote Wonder working with Media Center - and as I haven't found an ATI Media Jukebox plugin, I'm hanging my hopes on using girder as a go-between.

And any reason why you guys don't develop a plugin for ATI Remote Wonder?

Scott Raymond-

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Girder Remote Plugin - ATI Remote Wonder
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 07:33:17 pm »

Having done a lot of MJ & Girder work in the past week, I can say that the MJ Girder plug-in is not completely needed (in v8--so probably also in v9). I believe that all the functions that can be accessed through the Girder plugin also have key commands, so you can just use the keyboard actions in Girder instead of the messaging actions.

However, I am new to Girder, so there may be advantages to using the messaging actions that I'm not aware of. I think that avoiding the plugin simplifies the chain of intereacting pieces, so that's got to be a good thing, right?

Best,
Brad

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 12:25:43 pm »

Yeah, I thought of that too...  Girder is extremely powerful!  But for some reason, I can't get Girder to send the "menu" key to Media Center when it's running full screen (i.e. toggle Haistyle).  And as it's running full screen, it makes it really hard (i.e. impossible) to see what Girder is doing.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  And if you have any idea how to do what I'm trying to do, I'm "all ears".

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 03:28:24 pm »

Hi People

Glad to see some ATI remote users here.

Any guess on when the Girder remote plug-in will work with V9

Dont really need it. Just use keyboard comands, Girder and the ATI plugin for Girder.
Yes, using Girder is like going around the block a couple times, just to go to the house next door, but it works.

And any reason why you guys don't develop a plugin for ATI Remote Wonder

Dont hold your breath, the MJ team are very busy with Ver. 9.
If I ever get time maybe Ill look at it and see what I can come  up with.
The source is available on ATI web site.

Now my questions.

Have you notice that MJ9 loads the X10 plugin on install?

Have you notice that it conflicts with Girder?

Everytime I download a new ver of 9 , I have to uninstall the X10 plugin, in order that my remote functions properly with Girder.

Thanks
Griff

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 04:09:08 pm »

Dont really need it. Just use keyboard comands, Girder and the ATI plugin for Girder.

You mean don't use the ATI Remote Wonder Application at all?  I'm playing with the "X10/ATI remote plugin" for Girder, which shouldn't need the ATI app running.  But I'd need to manually map all the remote keys specifically (which could be a lot of work).  As it is, the ATI app works pretty well - with most keys working fine for MJ/MC.  But I really need the menu key/button to work and so far it's been no joy.

Are you using some sort of standard .GML for getting the basic buttons mapped?  Or are you starting from scratch?

In theory, it should be pretty easy to write a plug-in for the ATI app... but creating a DLL sounds like more work than I'm interested in.  In this respect, I'd see your point about going with Girder and leaving out the ATI app all togeher.

Have you notice that MJ9 loads the X10 plugin on install?

Have you notice that it conflicts with Girder?

Sorry, I can't offer you my perspective, as I don't have Girder working for anything yet.

Thanks for the dialogue!

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 04:57:51 pm »

Hi

You mean don't use the ATI Remote Wonder Application at all

Sorry, you do have to use ATI remote software and on the plugin tab, select Girder.
Thats why I said its like going around the block a couple times , to go to the house next door.

I'm playing with the "X10/ATI remote plugin

Never could get it to do what I wanted.

Sorry, I can't offer you my perspective, as I don't have Girder working for anything yet.

Ok, next time you use Girder (I assume you downloaded Girder plugin for ATI), Try uninstalling the x10 plugin for MJ first.

Then if Girder is not Auto. running start it.

Then try it.

I can prog. everything except , darn I cant remember, I believe TV,DVD and Web buttons.

I will ck. out the button on the ATI for you in the next couple of days.

But I really need the menu key/button to work and so far it's been no joy

Ya, I run a HTS off my PC, a lot of users dont have that on their keyboard, Dont remember what I did, because after they made the core change, I stoped doing anything till I see where they are going.

Take care
Griff

sraymond

(ATI RRe: Girder Remote Plugin - ATI Remote Wonder
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2002, 05:35:15 pm »

OK...  I think I'm starting to understand.  I've seen two Girder plug-ins for ATI.  One of them (ATI Remote Wonder by KSnoopy) has the ATI plugin for Girder and the Girder plugin for ATI.  I assume this is what you're using.

I've also seen Girder's "X10/ATI remote plugin" by Sagi which allows me to avoid the ATI Remote Wonder application alltogether.  This seems the more elegant solution.  Using this plugin seems to work pretty well.  I dowloaded Girder's export group for Media Jukebox 9 and after relearning the events (the remote used was obviously different), it seems to work without any problems.  Of course, if you look at the export group, it's missing a lot of functionality.  And unfortunately, I can't decipher the command codes to get the rest of the remote buttons.

Perhaps I'll try your suggestion and do it the long way.

And all this leads me to my "Big Question".  After playing with this for about three hours, I'm starting to wonder what the MJ plugin does.  Does anyone know what this does for me (in light of the preceding discussion?

Thanks again for the discussion.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 07:48:27 pm »

Griff,

I've been playing for another two or three hours.  I've come to a few conclusions/shortcomings.

Using the X10/ATI plugin is nice - but I've run into a wall with only one thing - the repeatability of functions like volume up/down.  This is the only thing I can't do using this plugin.

Using the ATI Remote Wonder plugin, I can't find an export group that works the MJ.  The one for Version 8 seems to need the MJ Girder plugin - which doesn't install with V9.  Have you written your own Girder commands for MJ?  If so, mind sharing?

As for the TV, DVD, and Web buttons...  if I understand correctly, ATI won't "release" them for use with other apps.  This is one reason to use the X10/ATI plugin to get away from the ATI remote wonder appliccation.

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 06:47:01 pm »

Hi Scott

Using the X10/ATI plugin is nice

This is new, posted end of Nov.
Downloaded it today.

This is not the x10 that was worthless.

Thats why I have been using Karatesnoopy plugin.

The x10/ATI plugin is the way to go.

but I've run into a wall with only one thing - the repeatability of functions like volume up/down.  This is the only thing I can't do using this plugin

OK, here you go

Create a vol. up comand
hit the keyboard tab
put a ck. next to control
in special key - select add
ck. apply

now- look at the space to the lf. of the little green light at bottom rt.

This will tell you what your remote is doing.

now you will see either x10_up_volumeup and x10_dn_volumeup (or viceversa) THEN x10_RT_volumeup--- as you hold down the plus on the volume button on the remote.

WHEN YOU SEE THE x10_RT_volumeup , this is when you want to hit the Learn Event.

The same holds true for vol down. Except instead of add select subtract for special key.

Im assuming that you know how to prog. keyboard functions. If not get back to me, and I will give you better details.

See you posted on the other Board today.

Menu key-- I assume you want this for Hairstyle.

Work around for now.
Use your remote goto fullscreen/ck. the rt. mouse button/dwn arrow to Hairstyle/hit ok on remote.

Still have to prog. the rest of my buttons on my remote.

Hope this helps
Take care
Griff

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 08:00:31 pm »

Griff,

Thanks for the tip...  my mistake was in hitting the learn event before the repeat event was happening - which prevented it from ever learning the RT.  Your help was greatly appreciated!

I'm working with the VolumeOSD plugin rather than controlling volumes on an application-specific basis.  This seems a more elegant solution, and the interface is nice.  Applying your hint (i.e. adding a second event after the remote was repeating) fixed the problem.  It now works great.

I'm also using the "command" vice "keyboard" tab (and then capturing the WParam)...  this is what Francois Lafaix did for his MJ9 export group.  As I think about it, I realize I don't understand the benefit of doing so, but what's done is done...

All, in all, this seems like a lot of work - but I'm exciting about being able to make the remote a really useful tool!  I still don't know what the MJ girder plugin buys us, but I guess I'll have to wait until it's updated to play with it.

Again, thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up