INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Wish List  (Read 1110 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Current Wish List
« on: November 17, 2002, 12:17:18 pm »

Current Wish List:  (in no particular order)

• Replay Gain.
    Customizable default for unanalyzed files and manual track specific adjustment of gain, intensity, BPM and peak level.  When analyzing large batches, you should be able to select the number of parallel analyzes to run.  

• Burn Lists.
    Save cd cover layout, CD-TEXT, track by track crossfade and DSP, directory formats for data CDs, etc.

• Burn CD-EXTRA format.  Now that MJ handles images, this is a natural.

• Parallized ripper.
    Parallelize the ripping process if more than one cd reader is available AND parallelize the encoding process.  The current "rip and encode simultaneously" option is the SLOWEST of all.  http://peakin.com/music/rip_comparison.html
    The encoding process should workd the same way for conversions.

• Optimizing for SMP machines (without hurting single cpu machines of course).  This is even more important now that the standard Pentium 4 processors are shipping with Hyper-Threading enabled.

• Configure sort order and columns by view scheme.

• Move playlist export to playlist context menus.
    Should be able to export individual playlists as well as playlist groups in any of the supported formats to any location.  Playlist groups should be exportable as either a single concatenated playlist or separate playlists for each of its children.

• Change the behaviour of the enter key in the search bar.
    Pressing enter should commit the search criteria instead of sending the results to playing now.  You should also HAVE to press enter to commit the search criteria so the results don't keep changing as you type.

• File path settings for music base directory and cover art should be saved as part of the library, not globally.

• Database backup file names should include the library name and a sortable date.
    Instead of simply "MJ Library Backup (11-9-2002).zip" it should be
    "MyLib Library Backup (2002-11-09).zip"

• Bulletproof Party Mode
    No library switching, no DSP changes, no media server control, no skin or plugin manager control, etc. Of course what would be better is to allow the user to select what functions a partier can perform.  

• Customizable context menus.
    The right click menu should be completely customizable for the track details window.

• Selectable "Wave Out" or "Master" for volume control.

• Media Server enhancements.
    Auto down-conversion
    customizable buffering
    access multiple libraries

• Use full MJ client as a web remote client.  I.E. Media server except play at server instead of streaming to client.

• Player controls more like physical players.
    A single press of Previous not within the first 2 seconds of a track should take you to the start of the current track instead of the previous track.
    Repeat 1 track or all of playing now.
    Time display relative to all of playing now, not just the current track.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Current Wish List
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2002, 09:03:39 pm »

Audio, Video, Playlist and Image "category" association during install.
  • On the page during setup where you pick your file associations, MJ would have four "easy" buttons.  These woud select/deselect all file associtations for the category.  So if you pressed "Audio" it would tick/untick mp3, wav, ogg, wav, and so on.  "Image" would tick/untick gif, bmp, jpg, and etc.
  • It'd REALLY simplify installation, as most folks, when presented with a giant list of file associations, will just hit next.

Party mode mode.
  • You would have Mega-me, Mini-me, and Party-me.  Party mode would launch when party mode is selected and would have its own skinnable interface, so that you can use skins to impress your friends and limit their access to your database.  Skinners could have a field day making Party-me skins (you could do just like with mini-me); heck, if I could do it, I'd make one too.
  • You would have a config page, while in Mega-me, about everything to show/hide during party mode.  Here's where you set the password, designate what playlists to be visible during the party, what kind of music to include (just classical?  just jazz?) and what to not include, ;).  Of course, while in Party-me mode (that name kinda sounds silly), nobody can delete or edit any part of your library.  To escape from party mode, you just click the right button and type in the password.

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

nila

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 01:32:34 am »

HUGELY agree with the comment on file types.
This would really help beginners and even power users.

Would ideally like to see it like:

+audio
- mp3
- ogg
 - wav
- etc
+video
- m2v
- avi
- etc
+graphic
- bmp
- jpg
- jpeg
- gif

checking any of the groups will check all sub items which would as standard be unexpanded.

Also like to see the installer remember what installation options were used last time as well as which file types. Continual new installations mean this would be a HUGE help.

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 04:33:25 am »

Adding to this list...

1.  All options for everything listed in at least one place.

2.  Support for the -nogap switch on the LAME encoders.

3.  Full PVR functions for the TV system, with integrated web-based guide for automatic recording, and rules wizard for recording.

4.  Simplified options or a more complete wizard system for setting options in TV mode.

5.  Support for picture-in-picture for systems with dual TV tuners and/or playback of recordings and TV at same time.

-Mr.X

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 04:39:17 am »

RemyJ wrote:
Burn Lists.
Save cd cover layout, CD-TEXT, track by track crossfade and DSP, directory formats for data CDs, etc.
Can you explain what you're looking for in more detail? Or it there's another thread where you've already done this, let me know.

Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RemyJ

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 07:32:07 am »

A burn list is basically a shortcut for specifying all the things you can specifiy today (plus a few new ones), but in one place.   This gives an easy way to re-burn without having to go keep going through the setup steps.  "One Touch"

A "burn list" contains...

• The audio tracks obviously (or a reference to an existing playlist).
  • The CD-TEXT Title and Artist for the disc.
  • A format string for the CD-TEXT track names I.E. "[artist] / [name]"
  • Burn Mode: CD-AUDIO, CD-EXTRA, DATA
     If CD-EXTRA, the files to be included in the data track.
     If DATA, the directory structure format string. I.E. "[artist]\[album]"
  • On a track by track basis:
       The crossfade (or gap) time with the previous track
       The DSP settings for the track.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 12:52:37 pm »

Sounds good to me :)

Also, when going to the burning screen could the GUI be modified slightly just to bring a few of the options to the surface.

Specifically:

- CD Name for data cd's or Artist & Title for audio cd's. Could text boxes be added to the top of the burn screen just to make it easy and quick to add this info.

Nice job on the redo of the cd burning options. Love the addition of a direct option to enable cd-text.

Benjamin0

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 01:44:14 pm »

Hi,

i'm sure but quite , it seems there is any way when you live in France to use the Tv Option : there is no Secam mode for the scan of the Channel. Do i am right?
if not , it can be an interested things for the next version , specialy for the french......
And still for the non english as a first langage, maybe a translation can be great, don't you thing?

thanks, these is anyway the best media manager

Benjamin
Pages: [1]   Go Up