INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GUI: Smartlist/Playlist Wizard  (Read 737 times)

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
GUI: Smartlist/Playlist Wizard
« on: November 17, 2002, 11:54:18 am »

At the risk of asking for unreasonable changes and opening a can of worms, some GUI comments about playlists. Generally the smartlist abilities of MJ are incredibly powerful. Ive been playing with them and Im sure there still things to discover. It works for me. But I think the functionality is a bit hidden, eg I create a new smartlist from the treeview pane, set the parameters in the library pane (wizard) and then have to click somewhere else in the tree to get MJ to ask me if I want to save the smartlist.

Unless there is a simpler method Ive missed I think this is too counterintuitive, at least in terms of introducing new users to the features. So:

1. As well as Edit/Add smartlist there should be a 'create new smartlist' tree node.

2. Coupled with this there should be a 'proper' wizard to create simple smartlists - a single (or stepped) dialog box with options that link to the popups that come from the existing wizard. Eg 1-choose media type (audio/image/video) 2-choose artist(s)/album(s) 3-choose options (full albums/limit time/other modifiers) 4-Create/save playlist

3. the existing add playlist toolbar button would link to this wizard, as well as the node and the menu item.

4. Dont call the existing button the wizard. Call it the playlist builder or something. Or vice versa.

5. for advanced users, they can use the existing wizard button and save the results as a playlist/smartlist. (I assume thats what the 'not yet implemented' menus are for).

Obviously others will use playlists differently, and we could all argue about what you need in a wizard. Frankly I think it would be impossible to cover all of the options in a single user friendly dialog. I know some dont like wizards. But I feel a simpler method for simple playlists like this would be an easier way for people to get into the features, and hopefully they will then progress to using the playlist parameters in the search bar, with the already friendly links to the existing dialogs. Maybe this is for v9.1. Maybe the JRiver experts have something much better up their sleeves. Maybe Ive had one too many G&Ts tonight. Maybe this is too complicated, period. I certainly shouldnt worry about this as much as I do. But I did warn you...

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: GUI: Smartlist/Playlist Wizard
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 06:28:15 am »

I agree 100%.  That would be very user friendly.  I like the current smartlist builder too, but it is a bit spread out.  

Having a pop-up dialogue that you can use to build a smartlist via a "select-and-click-next" interface would be a boon.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

nila

Re: GUI: Smartlist/Playlist Wizard
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 12:55:03 pm »

I'm a power computer user, been using computers for ages, program in several languages and blah blah blah but I'd love a wizard too.

By the time we build up a search string with all the criteria we want anyway we've had to go in and out the options screen several times. A wizard would make this a lot quicker and easier. It'll also get you brownie points with beginners.
Do it like Winzip - Classic or Wizard interface.
Pages: [1]   Go Up