INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cataloging My CD Collection  (Read 1741 times)

rockstar

• Recent member
Cataloging My CD Collection
« on: December 30, 2002, 10:24:42 pm »

I recently registered Media Jukebox, and am happy with nearly every facet of the program (save the selections of skins)... however, I'd like to catalog my CD collection (not through ripping the CDs... just through creating a database that I can organize my collection/print information and reports).  Can Media Jukebox do this, or should I look into another program for tracking collections?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cataloging My CD Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 11:00:29 pm »

Well, every time MJ "sees" a CD it adds it to a database separate from the main music database, even if you never rip it.  You have the same library capabilities you do for a ripped collection.  Having said that, MJ has always been a little "light" in the reporting department so while you can view and organize the entries to your heart's content (especially with MC9's view schemes),  printing the info is problematic.   Try it and see how it works.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

gonzalo

• Recent member
  • Enano !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 06:54:43 pm »

Well, I am new to MJ , but I wanted to do this also.
I understand MJ creates a data base of CDs, so that the next time you insert a CD it has the info readily available (locally)

But ...
I was expecting to be able to browse all my CDs in the "CDs and Handhelds" section. And that if I try to play a track it would promtp me to insert the corresponding CD.

Instead,  I am only able to see the information for the CD that's currently inserted.

Is there a way to do what I want ?
Is MC 9 able to do this?

Rgds
Gonzalo

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 08:13:47 pm »

"CD & Handhelds" shows what's CURRENTLY on those devices.  Look in the "CD Media" section of the "Media Library".  That's where the CD entries are cataloged permanently.  
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

gonzalo

• Recent member
  • Enano !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 11:34:44 pm »

Hey !!
You are right !

I should play around with MJ more before saying obvious things !

fluffybunny

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2003, 06:19:07 pm »

While we are on this subject, does anyone know if you can change the local store for CD data?

The reason I ask is that I use a couple of different ripping programs, most of which allow you to change the location to store CD data.

Wouldn't it be handy if, once the data had been downloaded with a CDDB-supported application, we could then access that data from MJ...?

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2003, 07:05:29 pm »

The CD data is stored in the MJ library which you can put anywhere.  It's in a proprietary format though.

The data is also loaded into the standard Windows c:\winnt\cdplayer.ini file for any other program to access and I believe MJ will look there before going to the online databases.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

fluffybunny

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 07:58:39 pm »

I thought you might be onto something here, but no luck.

CDex has a checkbox option to enter downloaded CD info (from CDDB) into the cdplayer.ini file.

I tried it with a CD that I knew CDDB had but YADB didn't. I checked the .ini file and sure enough, CDex had stored the information there, but I couldn't get MJ to find any information about the disc.

I wonder if there's an option somewhere for this, otherwise maybe it is something that could be patched quite easily? This would be a fairly simple workaround for those who aren't happy with YADB.

It certainly would seem logical that MJ should be able to use information which is already on your computer!

Any thoughts anyone?

Bluesman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2003, 02:28:37 am »

I have had no luck with any version of MJ in being able to access my cdplayer.ini file from MJ. I have approx 2000 cds stored in there. Cdex finds them ok though. Using Win ME & 8.0.393.
What i would like to see is a right click option on "Audio CD" Device to 'Update from CDPlayer.ini', much like there is for Updating from CD database. I know it's supposed to look at cdplayer.ini first, but in my case at least, it just doesn't do it.
Geoff
Is there any other music besides Blues?
Pages: [1]   Go Up