INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v8 Album Artist = v9 ?  (Read 1300 times)

phelt

v8 Album Artist = v9 ?
« on: November 05, 2002, 12:39:27 pm »

Read through messages here, but did not find an answer. How does v9 deal with Album Artist tags set in v8? Is there a quick way to convert v8 Album Artist tags into v9 custom tags?

I tried making a custom field in v9 named 'Album Artist', but nothing showed up when I checked File Properties for MP3 files known to have v8 Album Artist tags set.

I hope that Multiple Artists is not intended to be the only replacement for the Album Artists tags. While I can see how it might be useful for some, it has no value for me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: v8 Album Artist = v9 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 12:48:18 pm »

I hope that Multiple Artists is not intended to be the only replacement for the Album Artists tags. While I can see how it might be useful for some, it has no value for me.

It is.  If you need a field for something like "Extra Artist Info" or "Other Artists" or something, you'll have to create a field in the DB.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

phelt

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 03:54:04 pm »

Just to be clear:
In version 8 you implemented Album Artists, touted it as a feature, and recommended its use. Now you are changing the feature and not providing a tool for conversion or for cleaning up the extra data added to users' files, despite the many concerns voiced well before version 9 became available?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 05:01:28 pm »

There was a lot of talk about this a few months ago.  The general opinion was that the new system is better for the bulk of our users.  For users unhappy with the new system, they can still accomplish the same thing as MJ 8 with a little leg work.

If people need an upgrade path for their album artists, we can provide something.  Our thinking was that for 99% of people, it was either unused in MJ 8 or rendered useless in MJ 9 -- so upgrading it was only adding DB clutter.

If you really stand to lose a substantial amount of information, let us know and we'll work something out.

Thanks for understanding phelt.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

phelt

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 05:52:14 pm »

Hi Matt: I do understand that you wanted to make a more elegant system in version 9 - I have no argument against improvements. The logical question: how difficult would it be to take the existing Album Artist tag data and dump it to new custom tags? Is there enough of a difference in the MJMD stuff to make this a major coding challenge?

Perhaps I am in the minority with regard to Album Artists, but I buy a lot of dance/techno/electronic compilations so Album Artist has been an unbelievable boon for me. It was the feature that made me register MJ the same day that I tried it. A good number of my collection is on vinyl (the only format available for those works) so I've been through a lot of tagging already - roughly 3200 files. If there's any way that a solution can be found, I will happily register the new version as a show of further support. Otherwise I'm signing up for quite a bit of work  :P

best,
phelt

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 06:40:18 pm »

Here's what I don't get.

Why can't MJ9 so it's Multiple Artists thing automatically, but still allow those of us who actually understood, liked, and used MJ8's Album Artist field to edit that value on a track per track basis?

So for the majority of the users out there who can't figure it out, they'll never have to. For those of us who can, we can have the added flexibility that we crave (that you got us hooked on in 8).

Is there some reason this can't be done? I mean, basically just stick with 8's method, but have MJ automatically populate that field with "Multiple Artists" where it detects it's needed, and the actual Artist everywhere else. Then we can manually go in and change "Multiple Artists" to things like "Soundtracks" and "Mixed Albums" or whatever...

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2002, 10:18:41 am »

Hi,

I had asked recently why "Album Artist" isn't available as a column in the content pane, but hadn't yet noticed this thread, which I guess means that "Album Artist" won't be in V9.  

I've been using "Album Artist" heavily since I started ripping my classical collection -- one really needs the ability to distinguish composer from performing artist.   So please add me to those who would like V9 support the conversion of V8 "Album Artist" fields to the best way of doing the same thing in V9.

Thanks.

js
Pages: [1]   Go Up