INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Text Entry Suggestions  (Read 707 times)

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
Text Entry Suggestions
« on: October 31, 2002, 02:13:13 am »

Hi Matt,

In another post (I forget which one) you asked for some text-entry feedback -- I'll attempt to give you some suggestions that I would find useful...

I am a manager in a restaurant who has recently got MediaJukebox up and running (version 8 very successfully). I have a large amount of music that needs to be added to the database and ripped onto the computer. My waiting staff is usually responsible for this and have set "quotas" for each shift! The machine is standalone and so online lookups are not posible.

The following problems are ones that I would like to see addressed in one way or another:

- I usually enter in all common aspects of the CD first (album name, year, genre etc.) and then move on to track names and artists. There needs to be a quicker way of entering in all the artists and track names. MJ 8 had the PageDown function which allows you to jump to the next track. However, it forgot which field you were in and so you would have to "Tab" to the correct field, enter in the information, PageDown and "Tab" again... Could a similar function be built into MJ9, but have MJ remember what field it was in? This would save a lot of time!

- Using data already in the database, provide autocompletion for all fields, possibly excluding Track Name and the various number fields -- or make it customisable what MJ autocompletes.

- Once the track info is in, do a compulsory "Clean-up" of track names (again, customisable?). I would also appreciate having some way of controlling the text clean-ups that occur. For example, MJ always converts "The" to "the", but I'd rather not have ", The" converted to ", the". Can you not include an intelligent "find and replace" mechanism into the clean-up? Eg: replace "The *" with "*, The" etc.? A user-definable list of criteria would be fantastic.

- Also the option of doing a compulsory audio analysis on imported tracks (or while ripping - this is already an option?). Is there not a way to do background analysis so that all music is eventually analysed without you so much as having to lift a finger? That would be handy and save a lot of effort. I don't like the dialog that pops up and obscures the view, despite the fact that you can work around it. Can you make it (at the very least) not stuck on top?

- Another idea, which borows slightly from the autocomplete is to do a "spell check" on the entered data and do some intelligent suggestions on Artists, genres etc. For example, if I enter "Moyb", MJ can say - "Ooh. I don't have any artist called 'Moyb', but I have one called 'Moby' - would you like to change that?". Or, if I enter a genre for "Eminem" as "Rap" and the next album that I import has "Eminem" singing "Opera", MJ can say -- hang on a moment. Eminem has sung "Rap" before, are you sure that he's now singing "Opera"?

- Quite often I have artists and track names entered in the wrong way, or when reading data from filenames into the fields, things end up a little confused. Is it not possible to make some macros or something that can swap all artists and track names, or all comments and genres etc.?

That's all the suggestions I have for text entry. I do have more suggestions, but those will be posted separately!

Thanks for all the hard work thus far!
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs
Pages: [1]   Go Up