INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Completion?  (Read 1585 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
Auto-Completion?
« on: October 22, 2002, 09:26:01 am »

Any chance we'll see auto-completion for at least some of the common tag fields? For instance, while typing in  the artist field the suggested match list would prune as you continues to type or you could mouse over to a pop-up list to select an entry.

For common information such as artist, composer, orchestra/music group, etc; a pre-built database could be included with MJ to seed the auto-completion function and help reduce spelling errors.

This is important for non-pop/rock music databases as the online sources such as CDDB are seriously limited outside of the most popular classical and jazz releases.

Auto-completion would elevate MJ from "most incredible" to possibly "unbelievably great"!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Auto-Completion?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 10:17:25 am »

Two things:

We're playing with audio fingerprinting for automatic tagging based on a file's unique audio characteristics.  Might help in this area.

Secondly, do you really spend a lot of time typing info in MJ?  If you do, where are you typing and what are you doing?  There's probably stuff we could do to streamline the process.  (I ask because I don't really type that much in MJ)

Thanks Leo.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 11:10:41 am »

Matt,

Believe it or not, yes I do spend much time entering data in fields. Part of the problem is I am encoding my rather large music library which is 60% classical, 30% jazz and about 10% rock & misc. The CDDB database (and YADB, for that matter) are  fairly brain-dead. For instance, if I am encoding Brahms Piano Sonata's performed by Yo-Yo Ma and Emanual Ax. Guess who the artist is? CDDB brings back Johannes Brahms! Last time I checked he's been pushing daisies for 105 years. The artist(s) are Ax and Ma, of course.

I am also strick on how artists are entered. If, for instance, the music is symphonic, I enter 'conductor, orchestra' in the artist field (e.g.--Karajan, Berlin). If the music is a concerto, I enter the soloist ahead of the conductor ahead of the orchestra (e.g.--Mutter, Karajan, Berlin).

Which is how I listen to my collection. I may want to hear Horowitz' performance of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3 ('Rocky III' to those of us who really like this composer) with Ormandy and New York. And, I have as many as five or six recordings of this particular major classical piece by different artists, orchestras, conductors, etc. Each proformance provides a unique perspective on a great work.

CDDC rarely gets the information right. When one has a few thousand CD's in a large, comprehensive library, the work-load for to produce a clean database is large. Bottomline, I have been doing serious data entry all summer since I discovered your very fine software and had enough confidence that I could build such a comprehensive music library.

The fields most useful to auto-complete are 'genre' and 'artist' as I use them differently from the CDDB universe. An example of my genre's for classical music are: Piano Solo, Piano concerto, Piano Trio, Piano Quintet, Violin Solo, Violin Concerto, String Quartet, String Quintet, etc. etc. I do the same with other genre of music (with rock, I just let CDDB fill in the genre). Then using your wonderful program, I can look up 'Beethoven' - 'String Quartets' and even further filter by performer (e.g.--'Emerson Quartet)'. This is a huge boon to music lovers where in the past, just keep all of my CD's in any kind of rational order proved impossible.

-Leo

jwaters

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 01:31:25 pm »

Auto-completion would also be very nice with the new image cataloging features in version 9.

If you are cataloging/tagging an lots of images, there's obviously no internet source to lookup from, so all the information will have to be entered manually.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 03:13:28 am »

This would be a great feature Matt.  I don't spend a huge amoiunt of time typing into MJ as most of the time the info is already tagged in files or I can find it from YADB.  However when I do type it would be useful to have auto complete like it is in MJ9 e.g. if I have already got an Aerosmith album and I type Aero it fills in Aerosmith.  This is in the playing now list view that I normally type although combo boxes in the properties window with info already entered would also be good.  And if this had auto complete too ... WOW!

Hope this helps

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

michel

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 03:45:41 am »

Auto-completion would also be very nice with the new image cataloging features in version 9.

and also for MJ9 custom tags as they will be obviously not filled from YADB.

WE WANT AUTO-COMPLETION... AUTO-COMPLETION FOR ALL... AUTO-COMPLETION WILL WIN...

;D ;D ;D

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 08:57:21 am »

I meant to add yesterday that I also use many custom fields and auto-completion would be a terrific improvement there, also.

nila

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 02:28:15 am »

I'd LOVE this feature too. I used to have it on my old Jukebox and it was well and truely missed.

Often do it for filling in id3 tags. Would like it to suggest Artist's when I'm filling it in from my list of artists, with a drop down list of other artists that match what I've typed so far.
With Album's I'd like it to auto suggest album's that match the artists that is listed for that file.

With Genre I'd LOVE it to suggest genre's that I already have but still allow me to carry on typing in case I do want a different one.

Comment field sometimes, but not usually.

I think all fields should do it because that way it's a case of you've met everyone's needs no matter which fields they want to do it with.

Would DEFINITELY love this feature :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up