INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Re-Rip MP3's and Use Current ID Tags???  (Read 2113 times)

bradesp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
How to Re-Rip MP3's and Use Current ID Tags???
« on: December 29, 2002, 06:10:47 am »

Hi all,

I've spent the last 4 weeks using Ver 8 and have ripped approx. 200 of my personal CD's.  Unfortuantely, I'm just now listening to them on my jukebox and I"m not happy with the quality. (I ripped them at 128K using the Lame codec).

I now want to re-rip my CD's at 192kbs or 256Kbs, but here's the rub, about 20% of my CD's we're NOT found on the YADDB database lookup, and I had to manually input the correct ID tags.  

Is there a way for me to Re-Rip these CD's *WITHOUT* ? having to manually re-enter the ID Tags like I did originally?

THanks!

Bradesp

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: How to Re-Rip MP3's and Use Current ID Tags???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 06:35:29 am »

MC9 supports (or will)...individual track look-ups.
The YADB well is deeper since you ripped/encoded last, so you may only have to type in 19.95% of your CD's. When you do encode this time, use the MP3 Encoder VBR (LAME) and set your quality to Normal/High or High (equiv to alt preset standard and extreme). This will put your bit rate between 192 & 256 for excellent sound quality.

Rx

edit > if you keep exactly the same filenames as the old versions, you could just copy over the old files with the new. The MJ DB will still have the old tag info but...I'm not sure how you would force the old tag info to be written to the new files.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 08:52:45 am »

>> MC9 supports (or will)...individual track look-ups.
MC9 supports, but may not be found due to the limited data it has right now.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 10:42:16 am »

When you rip a CD, MJ automatically puts the "tag" info (and any changes or additions you've made) into the "removables" database.   You should be able to put any of those CDs in the drive again and MJ will find the tag info locally.   This only works if you made  your changes BEFORE you ripped the CD.  

If you made the tag changes to the MP3s themselves after the rip, give xen-uno's suggestion a try.  

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 04:24:34 pm »

Remy...your right on, brother.
It should look locally for a match before hitting YADB.

Rx

edit > Now that I think about my copy over solution...I'm thinking it won't work. Since MJ relates a particular DB record to a particular file name, then using MJ to do new rips with the same filenames as old will overwrite the old tag info in the DB. It may work if the new files have (slightly) different filenames (lead the new files off with a "N", for instance). Then with Win Explorer delete the original files and strip the N off. Use MJ to delete the new files (which will delete them from the DB only, since files by that name no longer exist).

This is complicated and prone to error. If there isn't a match locally then you'll probably have to bite the bullet and do some typing. If you do this make sure you submit your entries to YADB so that it becomes burlier. Who knows...the SLO (Super Lossless Ogg) format may be out by then (it's in the imagination stage right now, but with Matt's help, it should be in the Alpha stage before hell freezes over), and you'll want to re-encode yet again! :)

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 05:15:51 pm »

This seems like an excellent opportunity for someone to create a plugin to do same ... I know that when/if I ever need to rerip I would even pay for such a thing.  It seems that the track Name would most likely be the best thing to key off of and then have some kind of multi-select for track names that are similar.

phelt

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 10:15:30 pm »

Mp3Tag Studio lets you dump tag data to a list and tag from a list. So maybe you could dump the tags out from the current files, re-rip, and tag from the list. I'm sure there are probably other apps that do this, MP3TS just happens to be the one that I use.

nila

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 01:39:08 am »

JUST CHEAT!!!

lol. Rip your CD's, give them the same naming format as the old ones. Throw them in the old directories over writing the old files then use MJ and get it to update the file tags from properties.

It'll then write all it's info into the mp3s thinking they were the old ones.

Et Viola - problem solved :)

Oh yeah, and just Rip at 192 if you want a constant bitrate. It's meant to be near perfect so unless you have AMAZING ears you wont hear the difference and it'll save you some space.
If you dont mind non constant bitrate then rip using VBR and high quality. Lame does a really good job on this and it'd be the best space/quality combo.

bradesp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 02:03:21 am »

Nila,

Not entirely sure I follow your mechanics...  assume I'm 6 years old  ;D

GIve them the same naming format - Not clear about what you mean...  

Here's what I did with the orig. CD's.  Popped them in, did lookup.  If found ripped, however after ripping I often went in and modified things like: Year, Genre, and with "mix" CD's I modified the Song Name so that it would sort correctly after downloading to my NOmad Jukebox.  

If DB didn't find CD, I'd manually update the entire set of Tags prior to ripping... Actually on a few ocassions I did the tag updates AFTER ripping.

You suggest taking the new MP3's and  "throwing" them in the old directory writing over top of the existing files and then running MJ to update tags.  This suggests that I NOT use MJ (which I am currently)   to do the MP3 ripping.  

OK, so let's say I rip the CD's with another LAME encoder and direct the MP3 output to the current directory for that CD.  Since Windows see's these MP3's as files, wouldn't my file names have to match?  And in the case of CD's that aren't in the Database, doesn't this put me back to having to manually build the ID tags?

Thanks for your help!

bradesp

nila

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2002, 02:49:00 am »

Ok, Heres how you do it.

You rip the cd's with whatever you want and just rip them all to some temporary location.
I'm not sure how you named the files previously but name them in the same manner as before.
Like if they were named like:
artist - album - track number - song name
before then name them like this again so they end up with duplicate file names.
Then, using Windows explorer select the album, go to edit/cut then go to the folder where the old mp3s are.
Select edit/paste and when it says do you wish to over right these files just say yes.

You will then have the new files in the old positions and MJ will think that the new files are the old ones. You then use the tool in MJ to update the tags from the database and it will write the tag info to these new songs.

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2002, 07:53:46 am »

It should work IF you use some other ripper/encoder other than MJ. If MJ records are based on filename/location rather than just filename then you could use MJ to R/E. But I think it's filename based, which means old tag info in the DB would be overwritten while doing the new R/E's.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up