INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image tags  (Read 914 times)

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Image tags
« on: October 06, 2002, 09:55:20 am »

Confused about image tags in v9 and in general. Just got my first ever APS photos developed to CD and noticed that in Windows XP 'file properties advanced' shows some interesting tags such as title, subject etc. (which are currently blank) and also records some photo specific info: the date/time the picture was taken, whether the flash was used etc. (cool).

It seems that these existing photo specific tags are ignored in MJ but not destroyed if I use MJ to tag my images - they still appear in Windows. I want to rename and classify my images by subject/title etc and retain the date/time photo taken info as MJ fields. Im not bothered about viewing properties in XP, but it does seems that there are many image specific tags which MJ doesnt seem to have. Im not sure how artist/album should map to title/subject etc. How is this planned to work in v9? (Im currently on v9.0.63). Or if this is a stupid newbie question can anyone point me to a image resource I can use to get educated?

Incidentally MJ is not alone in this - PhotoshopElements does the same. Maybe image tagging is a standards-free zone.

Tentative tuppence into the interface debate follows:

Incidentally its been interesting to go back to the bottom of the learning curve with images and how to use them in MJ in particular. Its going to be very difficult to design an interface which is equally comfortable with the demands of images and sounds equally. But I have faith: you have managed six impossible things before breakfast before...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Image tags
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 04:01:55 pm »

Thanks Lee -- we'll try not to make a mess of things with images.

As for tagging, MJ uses its own tagging method because nothing out there really does what we needed.  We'll release the spec when we get some time.

As for what fields to use, I've been using "Genre", "Album", and "Year" a lot with my images. (i.e. Vacation\2000\Boundary Waters)

But since MJ 9 will have flexible DB fielding, you'll be able to create any fields you like to work with your images.

Take care.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re: Image tags
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 09:17:44 am »

Matt, thanks - adding db fields to complement the existing ones is what I intend to do. We are definitely going to need displayed fields and their order to be remembered as a property of view schemes, though. And way to import the date the photo was taken from the JPG would be cool too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up