INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist First Name/ Last Name / The...  (Read 1128 times)

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
Artist First Name/ Last Name / The...
« on: September 29, 2002, 08:24:37 am »

OK, here is the deal...

I'm currently in the middle of ripping and getting seriously anal about the cataloging of my 2000+ CD collection. MJ to the rescue!

However...

How is MJ9 going to eventually deal with alphabitizing Artists based on their Last name?

How is "The" as a first name/album name going to be handeled?

I'm asking because I just spent two months cleaning up about 10,000 songs (I'm barely half way through...); manually placing the artist's last name first and then realized that MJ doesn't do this automatically when an artist is in a compilation.

Is this going to be addressed? Can I just ignore manual manipulation at this point knowing that it will eventually be delt with through software?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Artist First Name/ Last Name / The...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2002, 08:50:49 am »

>> manually placing the artist's last name first and then
>> realized that MJ doesn't do this automatically when
>> an artist is in a compilation.
Sounds Like A Lot Of Work.

Normaly When CD's Are Sold They Are Sold And Labeled With The Correct Name Like

"Elton John"

Not

"John, Elton"

They Are Put On The Shelf At The CD Store As "Elton John", Not "John, Elton" (I Have Never Seen Them Backwards).

Do you know of any program that deals with Artist Names The Way You Want?

I am asking because i would like to see how they handle it. but i don't think i have ever heard of one.

I did create a program to correct artist names from people who type them backwards like you and fixes them (MJ Plug-In For MJ8 Chart Finder).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002, 09:36:02 am »

KingSparta...

Yes, that is true, and maybe in that particular case I would go to the "E" section to buy said product since the name is fanciful, but I wouldn't go to the "T" section to buy The Residents, and I wouldn't go to the "R" section to buy Rosemary Clooney and I wouldn't go anywhere to buy Madonna  :)...

At the same time, I wouldn't expect a piece of software to determine whether Captain Beefheart should go under "C" or "B". (Though in this particular case, probably under "B" since he is refered to as Beefheart more than Captain, then again...where to put the "Stones"?)

I certainly see the issues, however, "The" is pretty easy, you can either ignore it, in other words, "The Beatles" would still be called "The Beatles" but would be alphabetized under "B". Or you could automatically put ",The" at the end...

As for the rest, it is tough. Here is an off-the-cuff possibility. A sort field is created and automatically updated as part of the database (I know the DB has been frozen, too late...).

Seems to me like you are going to have three possiblities:

1. keep
2. switch value 1 before space with value(s) after space
3. custom.

"Keep" would be the default and the Artist would automatically be filled in the sort field (better if you could decide what the default behavior would be...).

You could check a "swap" check box to swap out all charactors before a space with all charactors after the space (or charactor of your choice, "_" for instance...).

Or you could just edit the value directly for cases such as "Blind Lemon Jefferson" which you would probably want to sort by Jefferson. So I would enter "Jefferson, Blind Lemon" in the sort field.

So let's say that the breakdown is 20% group names that don't require special sorting, 70% Artists that need to be sorted by last name and 10% custom.

Here is what I would do...

Set the default sort to swap. This gets me 70% there. For 20%, I just have to deselect a checkbox. For the other 10% I still need to manually change things, but I currently need to do this with 80% of my music.

Since the defaults are determining how data is entered into a field, not how a collection is sorted, you could switch default behavior back and forth depending on what you rip.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 09:51:40 am »

Additionally, in the media library you could have two options, artist and artist(sort)....

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 10:47:50 am »

Persnoaly I Delete "The" From "The Beatles" (My Program Will Do That)

It Also Deletes "The" From "Beatles, The"

So "The" Is Out Of The Picture

There Is no way To Auto handle an Artist Like "Elton John" Manual Yes

Mark Files

All With 1 Space And No "," Would Mean To Me

First Name Last Name

With "," And A Space Would Mean

Last Name First Name

If Select And A Manual Press Of A Button Would Rev The Name.

Any Artist Name With Two Spaces Would Be

John Ford Coley

Coley, John Ford

If You Pres Rev Name It Would Simply Take Anything After ", " And Put It Up Front.

'Fill Me in' Charted At 15 In 2001

Listening to: 'Fill Me in' from 'The Best of Craig David' by 'Craig David' on Media Jukebox

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2002, 06:17:18 pm »

KingSparta,

Thanks again for your response.

Ideally, I'd like to get rid of presenting Artists as  [Last Name], [First Name]. However, I'd like them to sort that way. One "low tech" way this can be handled is with a separate sort field that isn't even visible other than within properties. Using this method you can create sorts that have nothing to do with the alphabet, either to amuse yourself at parties or to put faves at the top of the list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up