INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Toolbar Suggestion  (Read 983 times)

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
Custom Toolbar Suggestion
« on: September 21, 2002, 03:09:19 pm »

It would be awesome if we could drag any node from the Nav Tree to the toolbar in order to create a custom toolbar icon.

I'm specifically thinking of having toolbar buttons that select custom playlists, but it could also be used for artists, albums, etc.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Custom Toolbar Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2002, 03:55:12 pm »

yes... and these toolbar icons could even be used as drop targets....
wouldn't that be realy great?

Ingo

nila

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 05:39:55 pm »

I agree and have been thinking along the same lines a lot recently.
Would love to see more use made of the toolbars.
A toolbar specifically for shortcuts to playlists as suggested with the added feature of being a drop target (LOVELY idea, u are a genious) would be great.
By making it it's own toolbar it could be hidden easily and modified easily with loads of icons on it and arranged slightly better on the screen than just one toolbar that's meant to have all the icons on it.

I'd love to see the toolbars developed like Microsoft Office where there are like: Edit, Format, View toolbars all of which can be individually placed, edited and hidden.
Except for MJ it could be: Drop Target/Shortcut, Edit (have one click access to any of the properties tools we wanted), Get Image from internet, etc etc. Possibly even another one for smartlists. A tiny little toolbar at the top with say 5 or 10 pre-made searches would be so much easier for me to access when also browsing my media library than having to first close this, then enter the playlists, then choose the appropriate one. A bit like now how there are currectly icons for Top Hits, and Recently imported except we could add our own and have it's own toolbar so I can position it where I want it. Right now I cant get any more icons onto my toolbar and still have it fit on screen.
Maybe another toolbar that plugins can put themselves into.

To summaries the toolbars I'd personally like:
- Playlists/Drop Targets
- Plugins
- Edit (File property tools)
- Pre-configured searches (ie smart lists)
- Normal one for my MJ tools - Rip/Burn/Convert/Import etc.
MJ 9 is doing a lot for useability with adding the new wizard for searches, this could also be another big useability feature to add :)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 04:06:17 am »

I totally agree here! In MJ8, the only item in the toolbar I use is actually the back button...and very seldom that is. I miss to add other items than just Playing now...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 06:17:14 am »

Back when MJ8 was still a gleam in Jim's eye, Lise suggested making the MJ interface similar to that of MS Outlook. Where you have a nav bar on the side with shortcuts to the usual things (Playing Now, Media Library, etc), but then you could add your own (specific playlists, or artists, etc). I'd still like to see that implemented.

Another nice thing about MS Office is that every single command that exists in the menus is available as a toolbar button. That would be really nice. It looks as though MJ is headed that way already. But what about some of the right click menus? Like "Copy Listening To" and Add View Scheme and Add View Scheme Group? And playlists?

Adding in the drop target ability to certain toolbar buttons (like playlists, Media Editor, etc.) would be really great. And if these toolbars were dockable on multiple sides, and floatable, that would be even better.

Microsoft sinks millions of dollars into usability testing. Why not capitilize on their labor?

dac4m

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 05:18:02 pm »

I vote for a drop down toobar for playlists and also a separate one for artists/albums/whatever

Then if you pull down the playlist for example you could right click  with a menu like "add to plating now, fileter out, replace playing now, etc)
Pages: [1]   Go Up