INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking playlists...  (Read 1494 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Thinking playlists...
« on: September 20, 2002, 12:34:23 am »

Last night I was adding some slow, mellow songs to my "Go to bed damnit!" playlist. Then I realized how convenient it would be if I actually could see BOTH the content of the playlist and the Media Library. Is this something you could do in MJ9? Then you could just drag and drop the songs between them and easily see if you already added a song or not. How about that one?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Thinking playlists...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 05:05:17 am »

We may make the new, integrated properties screen show playlists and Playing Now.

It's just an idea now though, so no telling for sure.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 12:40:42 am »

We've been bombarding Matt with similar requests since 8 was in beta. :P

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 12:41:43 am »

We may make the new, integrated properties screen show playlists and Playing Now.

Well, would this be a good solution?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 12:53:43 am »

So you'd have that lower half of Playing Now be split into Playing Now and a Playlist?

It could work. But then you'd have people complaining that they want Playing Now, a playlist, and Properties all showing at once.

Have you tried WMP9? It's New Playlist window is a really good idea. It could be made a little better, but it's a step in the right direction.

I guess the question is, do you want a seperate window to show the playlist, or do you want to keep everything in one window?

Maybe a right click menu on the Playlist that opens a seperate, always on top window that you can drag files into and around?

I dunno. I honestly don't know what would be more complicated, either to code or to use.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 11:27:36 am »

My personal thought is that you could show the media library and/or playlists in the bottom half (like it is now) and the playing now in the upperhalf (so you have the choice between Visualisations, Image, Track Info or Playing Now)

Would that be a good idea ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 01:18:35 pm »

bennyd,

That makes a lot of sense to me. Seems like it would be hard to space on twirly things on the screen and create a happenin' playlist at the same time so toggeling between these views would be pretty natural.

Speaking of toggling, could we make the view either a series of icons or a pull-down selection like it is for the show options? I'm getting close to 10,000 files and by the time I'm "done" with my collection it will probably be pushing 20,000. When I click on the view icon to toggle between a list and album covers, it's slow (Though still impressively fast!) and I never know which view I've selected...

Marty3d

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2002, 02:40:46 pm »

Mmm...thinking about it, I think that detachable playlists would be the way to go, much like for instance office where you can pull a menu out from the program...see how I mean?
But it would be a shame just to be able to see Playing Now and a playlist. Why not Media Library - Playlist, Genre - Playlist or even Playlist - Playlist? All together, choose what you want! :)

nila

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2002, 05:04:27 pm »

My own personal thought on this is to do it like ACDSee have done for v4 where each screen can be put anywhere. The player could for instance be dragged and docked at the top, the left, right, bottom etc. playing now the same and so on.
That way people could customise it exactly how they want it.

For me, instead of Playing now and a visualisation window, I'd probably have the playing now there with the media search above it. etc. I'd then put a playlist window on the left, below the media library as I have it on a high resolution and so could easily display the contents of playlists here next to everything.
Taking this even one step further would be so that not only could they customise the view, but they could customise each view.
Like for me, when I'm browsing my media files and they're being shown on the right, at this time I want the properties window, but when I'm in playing now I dont want it there still.
I'd also definitely like to be able to customise the columns that show at different times into different orders.
When I'm using the explorer mode I'll want file name somewhere near the beginning, when in Media Library I'll not want to see it at all pretty much.

I'd like to be able to create different view schemes (for columns)) which I can change between easily, and also display which parts of MJ show where on different screens. For the playing now I might also for instance choose to have the DSP studio docked somewhere.

sekim

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2002, 06:54:25 pm »

Mmm...thinking about it, I think that detachable playlists would be the way to go, much like for instance office where you can pull a menu out from the program...see how I mean?
But it would be a shame just to be able to see Playing Now and a playlist. Why not Media Library - Playlist, Genre - Playlist or even Playlist - Playlist? All together, choose what you want! :)

Are you thinking of drag and drop to where the list / vis panes currently reside? This could be useful. Say select whatever from the node and drag over to the right. Make sure you could use both panes for this.

My own personal thought on this is to do it like ACDSee have done for v4 where each screen can be put anywhere. The player could for instance be dragged and docked at the top, the left, right, bottom etc. playing now the same and so on.
That way people could customise it exactly how they want it.

As for detachable this way, I think it's a lot of fluff. Do you really see a need to move the player somewhere else on the screen, outside of the fact that you could do it? Same for the DSP studio. Analogy to a famous Ronco commercial...Set it and forget it.

This, to me, would detract to much away from MJs' main goal for any real gains in funtionality. In some respects it would be like skins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up