INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Emusic  (Read 27450 times)

NY40Male

Re: Emusic
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2002, 07:28:04 am »

Especially When They Claim Access To Their Entire Library Of 200,000 Song.. Unlimited Downloading...
Seems Like Its Time To Click On That Link To The CA Attorney General

michel

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2002, 07:58:46 am »

I suspect that the number is something like 5,000 tracks in any three month period.

I downloaded about 6000 in a couple of weeks and I had been canceled. You are probably right.

michel

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2002, 08:15:08 am »

According to Jim, Emusic has to pay 0,07$ per track downloaded.

Paying 10$ / month during 1 year, Emusic would loss money if you download more than 1704 tracks during the year (143 / month).

Using ADSL or cable, you can download this amount in 2 or 3 days. Even if not all have ADSL or cable connection, It is difficult to believe they built a so risky business model.

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2002, 08:19:21 am »

I don't think I've ever downloaded anywhere 5000 files. I guess I'll go back to MJ download Manager and see what happens. How do I restore MJ DL Manager?
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MJ is the epitome of what a media player should be!
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2002, 08:55:18 am »

From the Emusic General FAQ Page:

Do musicians and labels get paid for the MP3s I download?

Yes. EMusic splits all of the profits from membership fees 50/50 with the label or artist. EMusic is a legitimate downloadable music service that compensates artists and labels for their work, without sacrificing convenience or low-cost.

What is EMusic?

EMusic is a revolutionary new music discovery service that offers an easy and inexpensive way for avid music fans to download and enjoy over 200,000 high-quality MP3 songs from established musicians. For as little as $9.99 a month, you can download as much music as you desire from EMusic's catalog. All of the music is legitimately licensed from record labels and artists, so you can feel comfortable knowing that songwriters, musicians and other copyright-holders are being fairly compensated for their work.

My obseravtion here (for what it is worth). I have downloaded over 100gigs of files in 18 months. I used Getright, an automated downloader manager, for a year. This was on a dialup connection. I had T1 access to emusic for about 2 months. I used the Real Audio Download Manager and the .rmp files for 1 month, downloading about 3000 files.  Right now I am using MJ and the MJ Download Manager. I am still on the dialup. I know I average about 40 files a night and 1200 files a month. I think emusic has a sniffer going that detects what it thinks is automated download utilities leeching files. I bet it only uses a small time frame. If you download too many files in that time frame, then you must be a download criminal. Either way, I am peacefully awaiting there response to emusic and also to my own inquiry. I am saving all correspondence just in case I need to submit this issue to my state's attorney general, Tom Miller (you know the guy that still wants to stick it to MS and beat the tobacco companies into submission).

Praying for the best outcome here.

btw. Thanks Jim H for going to bat for us.

ibusinesslawyer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2002, 09:10:37 am »

BTW, if anybody wants to contact the AG in their own state (about any matter), here is a link to a listing of all available AG sites: http://www.findlaw.com/11stategov/indexag.html.

yosISme

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2002, 10:27:07 am »

Praying for the best outcome here.

Not sure if God cards about our MP3 downloads...
Well, maybe ones from under the Religious category, but I'm pretty sure he won't help me get reinstated so I can download more death metal...   ;)

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2002, 11:30:48 am »

Not sure if God cards about our MP3 downloads...
Well, maybe ones from under the Religious category, but I'm pretty sure he won't help me get reinstated so I can download more death metal...   ;)

I can't speak for God, but as Oddball said, "always with them negative waves, Moriarty."

Neanderthaler

• Recent member
  • Music
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2002, 02:14:58 pm »

"You get access to our whole mp3 catalog,every track in every genre"

Seems to me that they lie more than only on the volume issue.
Since there is a lot that I can not download because of US restrictions, but they do advertise with these tracks!!
I do like Emusic a lot for there large catalog, but get irritated by these lies.

Michael Horton

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2002, 03:40:35 pm »

Perhaps:

music "industry" hears as excuse for illegal downloading: "There are no legal alternatives." Industry doesn't want to, but sets up legal alternative to end this excuse for piracy. Industry takes in in the shorts financially, and so provokes people in to not using the service, and service folds. Industry says, "We tried providing a legal alternative, but that's apparently not what the people really want. So we'll go back to what we were offering before--nothing."

advantage: One more excuse for illegal downloading nullified, as industry looks as though it made an effort to create a solution addressing the needs of those who were pirating their music

why i think this: the seemingly unworkable business model and the great lengths to which emusic had gone to chase away customers can't be the design of a company that intended to actually remain in business for very long.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2002, 04:27:27 pm »

It may be more a matter of both sides don't trust the other.  Combined with a royalty system that never envisioned people having 20,000 tracks for their own personal use.

I don't think it's sinister.

If they thought they could make money, they'd be all over it.

sekim

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2002, 04:27:31 pm »

For measure, I posted a link in the HA forum to see if this goes further then seen here. It is a bit underhanded to see this sort of stuff happening. And I was thinking about a subscription. I think I'll wait now.

NY40Male

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2002, 04:49:45 pm »

In Case Anyone Gives A  Care I Filed An Online Complaint With The California Attorney Generals Office
And I'm  Hoping More Will Do So With Their Deceptive Practices

ibusinesslawyer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2002, 04:56:29 pm »

It may be more a matter of both sides don't trust the other.  Combined with a royalty system that never envisioned people having 20,000 tracks for their own personal use.

I don't think it's sinister.

If they thought they could make money, they'd be all over it.

Jim, a number of industry observers believe that the music industry has in fact set up various subscription services expecting them to fail.  The reason is just as the previous poster put it, so that the industry can say "we tried and failed."  Most observers who have so opined, however, were referring to services like Pressplay that sharply limit the number of tracks subscribers can keep.

Nevertheless, it is farcical to suppose that Vivendi didn't understand the numbers when they acquired EMusic, or when they opened the back catalog of Universal to the service.  (Vivendi has indicated that it wants to sell most of its internet properties, and this may somehow play into EMusic's recent actions.)  

Ultimately, it is hard to understand how they think this kind of thing is going to help them.  They could have offered, say, 1,000 downloads per month, but they chose instead to plaster the term "unlimited" all over their site and their advertising. The publicity this will lead to could be devastating.  

They are a very, very high profile target; why they would paint a bullseye on their back is beyond me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2002, 05:03:50 pm »

ibusiness,
JRiver has been working in this area since Diamond came out with the Rio.  We were members of SDMI and attended the first 5 or 6 meetings.  We have been to NY and LA enough to have met and talked with maybe 50 people from all 5 record labels, many of them several times.

I don't think it's a conspiracy.  I think they are moving slowly because they aren't dialed in to the technology (at the top) and they don't see how they can make money.

EMusic has been a ray of hope for me.  I think they come close to offering what our users want.   Pressplay and MusicNet don't.  

I don't think EMusic has handled this well, but I certainly sympathize with them given the market conditions.

I believe they will get it right.

Michael Horton

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2002, 05:38:49 pm »

well, in keeping with my practice of seeking enemies on every possible side of any given question, let me say that my comment was intended for those in the "let's sue them" camp, hoping that it might give them pause to consider that their actions may be of the "cutting off the nose to spite the face" type.

I'm an emusic customer--signed up to support the endeavor, even though I don't like the poorly-ripped 128 kbs files. I'd like to see emusic succeed, perhaps in spite of themelves.

I've been downloading maybe 150-200 songs per month, using MJ'd download manager. I used it twice this week, so it's use alone doesn't seem to be the problem, as I haven't received the offending termination notice yet. I listen to the songs and then delete them. That's so many songs, in fact that I don't have time enough to listen to more than bits and pieces of each song before deleting it. If I think that I'd like the CD, I add it to my Amazon shopping cart, and move it to save for later. I buy a few CDs a month. If emusic would rip at a higher bitrate, and post the CD's insert notes someplace, I think that I could invision buying a lot less Cds.

zevele10

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2002, 12:38:19 am »

I am not sure about the $  0,07 concerning the no-universal artists.
I do think that i is\was less.Still kind of good deal for all the labels on Emusic.
How many of you have any Bomp!,Frontier or Voxx records?
On the top of the sales [small] ,to get some money-even small- from Emusic was a plus.Exposure to thousand and thousand people a very good thing.
Some indee labels have on Emusic records out of print since long.Instead of re-editing it,just encoding it can gives some money and ,again,some exposure.

The 'first' Emusic [i mean before universal domination] had great concern about people putting Emusic stuff on Napster [it was the only one at this time].
From the day universal toke it,you never heard again about it.BECAUSE THEY SOLD INDEE LABELS ,NOT universal CATALOGUE.
And they dream is to be able to put to death any indee label.

All the problems are since they put some of they music on Emusic.They may have to pay the $ 0,07 for universal music.

Anyway,i do not feel to start again if labels want this or that.I do feel they deserve only contempt.I see them as enemys and the most anti-democratic  organized corporate on earth.

But if i rent a car telling 'unlimited kilometers' for $x a day, i would not pay them if they ask for money concerning kilometer after more than x kilometers
If i buy a litter drink ,it has to be a litter inside ,not 0,86 .

If you did a mistake selling your jukebox $ 25,and next week you remove mp3 encoding from registered version, you deserve to be take to court

I do not see why ,because it looks like universal are less f...g  b.....ds  than sony [ ??] , they deserve a special  treatment.If in USA ,i would fill a complaint  while downloading songs at the format i want ,mp3 or wma or ogg up to 340 kps at  $ 15 a month or $ 0,01 per megabytes.
It is legal according to the law and the agrements they reach in this country .Of cause not a country under Hillary rules.
And they will get more and more like it,as i get on p2p  at VBR 192 kps a lot of albums on 128 kps on Emusic.

By the way since now 5 months i do not buy music from majors.I can tell you i still buy a lot of good music not giving any penny to $%$^#.....

Listening to RAIKORIS punk band from Kathmandu Tibet

They are not on universal because they know that they would not have a problem financing the holocauste of tibetan people if doing this gives them acces to the chinesse market.

You will keep or not my post in full,but think twice about what i say: just the true.

Anyway ,have a nice week-end

michel

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2002, 06:52:38 am »

Listening to RAIKORIS punk band from Kathmandu Tibet

Listening "The last train to Lhasa" of Banco de Gaia

(an album to remember of the thibetain people)

yosISme

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2002, 02:31:17 am »

Just curious if anyone was cancelled BEFORE the end of their first month.  For me it was just a few days after the beginning of the 2nd month of my 3 month subscription.

Also, I haven't seen a credit back to my card yet as they stated.  Has anyone?

NY40Male

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2002, 03:56:04 am »

Yup..I Got My $9.99 Back....Just Checked My Checking Acct...Online...Comes Back As Emusic Reversal.

zevele10

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2002, 05:51:16 am »

NY40male

I may be wrong but you are not new on Emusic .You toke one year few months ago?

NY40Male

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2002, 10:14:21 am »

I Signed Up About 3 Months Ago (Maybe) For The Year
But They Terminated Me....Or At Least My Post Was First...But They Credited My Checking Account I Noticed Today

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2002, 10:29:38 am »

In the last three months, I have downloaded 3,112 tracks from Emusic, all but 149 of them using MJ's DM.
I have not been cancelled. On the contrary, I tried to quit and it didn't stick.
Tentative conclusion?
It has nothing to do with the DM you use but it may have something to do with the number of tracks and maybe even the genre or even the artist. Most of my downloads have been in the Jazz or Blues category ... never big money makers for the "Industry".

CVIII
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A seemingly non-related story follows. Read it if you have time but don't if you don't. You won't miss anything.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
When I first got connected to the internet a couple of years ago, I used a free ISP called Juno. I liked it and thought I should pay for it and that's when the trouble began. The come-on was "better connection, faster connection and more reliable connection". There was no mention of a connection time limit. During the Christmas break, I was home for most of the 10 days I was off and used the internet for a large portion of that time (Napster was the cause but, as I had dial-up I wasn't really causing much damage but at any rate, I know better now so shut up). I was soon cancelled for "violating the usage policy of Juno" which was never stated. It took a telephone call to New York to find out what I had done wrong. Once out, there was no going back. I did get "invited" back a short time later at a higher rate but I declined. Gracefully. (Yeah, right)

My point being, this behavior is not isolated. So now we know. Not much can be done except report them to the BBB.
Their "agreement" gives them the right to behave as they see fit at the time. No recourse. Close your eyes and take it and then move on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The preceding story was brought to you by a bitter old man who only holds a grudge for fifty years or so.
---------------------------------------------------------------
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2002, 10:45:17 am »

So start again,download like a mad,be cut [sorry...]
Start again ,do the same.
You would get thousands of songs for far less than a year subsciption.
To others:
DO NOT take a 3 months trial,take one year,download like mad until they cut you .You would get 3 or 4 thousands songs for $10 or $20.Not a bad deal.
My second year is until februar,i will start to download like a mad soon.If i have luck ,they may cut me.
I will start again with an US adress if you know what i mean,i will download like a mad until cut  and bye F O

Now if they are not fair i do not see any raison to be.
Will put a VERY BIG new folder to share this evening......

I found 2 LEGAL places to dowload music,not as cheap as Emusic and not with the same underground catalogue.- but quite good
After giving it a try  ,i let you know

ibusinesslawyer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2002, 10:47:08 am »

I would disagree with you about lack of recourse in a hypothetical situation where a company promises something in advertising to induce potential customers to sign up, but then refuses to honor its promise.  For an example of a statutory provision that might apply, see:

Cal Bus & Prof Code § 17500 (2002)

§ 17500.  False or misleading statements generally

It is unlawful for any. . . corporation or association, or any employee thereof with intent directly or indirectly to. . . perform services, professional or otherwise, or anything of any nature whatsoever or to induce the public to enter into any obligation relating thereto, to make or disseminate or cause to be made or disseminated before the public in this state, or to make or disseminate or cause to be made or disseminated from this state before the public in any state, in any. . . advertising device. . . or in any other manner or means whatever, including over the Internet, any statement, concerning those. . . services, professional or otherwise, or concerning any circumstance or matter of fact connected with the proposed performance or disposition thereof, which is untrue or misleading, and which is known, or which by the exercise of reasonable care should be known, to be untrue or misleading, or for any. . . corporation to so make or disseminate or cause to be so made or disseminated any such statement as part of a plan or scheme with the intent not to sell. . . those services, professional or otherwise, so advertised at the price stated therein, or as so advertised. Any violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($ 2,500), or by both that imprisonment and fine.

Even if such a hypothetical company would not be prosecuted criminally, the statute (and others like it) can be enforced civilly.

[The foregoing is not legal advice]

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2002, 10:56:51 am »

>> imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding
>> six months
Sounds Nice, Do they get roaches in there food also?

'In The Still Of The Night' Charted At 38 In 1960

Listening to: 'In The Still Of The Night' from 'The Best Of Dion And The Belmonts' by 'Dion And The Belmonts' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

yosISme

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2002, 11:05:16 am »

ibusinesslawyer,
Section 7.1 of their agreement, which they put in the cancelation email, states that they can cancel you at any time for any reason.  You have to agree to that before signing up.

Wouldn't that cover them for canceling anybody for any reason?

ibusinesslawyer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2002, 11:17:04 am »

I would argue that where a hypothetical company makes an explicit promise and then reneges on it by reference to a provision that purports to allow the company to renege on any promise it makes, the very fact of referring to such a provision for its actions is evidence of an unfair trade practice.  Moreover, were the contract per se the issue, many courts would invalidate the provision as unconscionable.

[The foregoing is not legal advice]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2002, 11:18:10 am »

§ 17500.  False or misleading statements generally

It is unlawful for any. . . corporation or association, ... to. . . perform services, professional or otherwise, ......, including over the Internet, any statement, concerning those. . . services...which is untrue or misleading,...
Even if such a hypothetical company would not be prosecuted criminally, the statute (and others like it) can be enforced civilly.

So, for Californians present, is your interest in this matter business or pleasure?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2002, 11:28:43 am »

>> is your interest in this matter business or pleasure?
I would think A Bit of Both

I deal with this sort of thing when we get in a lawsuit and if it is advertised and they dig into it we (Orkin Pest Control) normally pay out a few million. The last Claim we had was $2000 and ended up to be 2.3 Million (Still pending on appeal)

'Goodnight My Love' Charted At 32 In 1963

Listening to: 'Goodnight My Love' from 'The Rock'N'Roll Era - The Last Dance' by 'Fleetwood’s' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NY40Male

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2002, 11:31:28 am »

King Never States If He Got Terminated Also...Especially With All That He Has Downloaded Or Is Emusic Playing Favorites?

zevele10

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2002, 11:34:20 am »

Do not need to go so far
Unlimited downloads they say
It is not true

Do not know in US but in France enought to take them in court.
They did not say that it was for to much downloads ,i know.
But if put in court in France ,they will have to prove that .

Anyway JimH i am sorry as you may be to see a friendly indee company starting to be as bastard than the ones who buy it.
But when this know outside of this forum another good raison to people to use p2p

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2002, 11:39:40 am »

I never got terminated from e-music maybe before Un-Advertized limits kicked in.

I downloaded what I could (maybe 60,000 - 80,000) and then left, I deleted most of them i think maybe I have a 1,000 of them from E-music (Just A Guess, But It Is Not Much).

'Rag Doll' Charted At 01 In 1964

Listening to: 'Rag Doll' from 'Black & White Piano, Vol. 1' by 'Four Seasons' on Media Jukebox

Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2002, 11:48:28 am »

Anyway JimH i am sorry as you may be to see a friendly indee company starting to be as bastard than the ones who buy it.
But when this know outside of this forum another good raison to people to use p2p

I agree with you that EMusic has made a mistake.  You, their customers, can ask them to make it right.  We will try to help.

If you're successful, it would be a positive step for digital music delivery.

zevele10

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2002, 12:17:27 pm »

I do not have problem until now.
So it looks a little bit' over ' to send them an email about it.

But again the way they behave.Nothing ,just an email,FY,we do not want you anymore.Like if people are rubish.
But without people they are nothing.And without indee labels they are less.
Acting as they do ,they may lost indee labels.

Even with a limit at 1000 songs a month it is a good deal.
If you are honest to say so

One of the site i found charges $14.99 for 1000 songs a month.But NOT on Xing 128 ,on 192 and some  on 160.
Or $0,01 the MB if you do not want a month

Another one charges $25 a month unlimited downloads.
Both run since few years,so they do make money.

But this problem shows how labels and corporates had behave and will behave   for ever

NY40Male

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2002, 12:24:56 pm »

Zevele What Are The Other Site That You Speak Of..Are They Still Around?..Anything Good?

zevele10

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2002, 01:01:05 pm »

I am trying the other sites.
When i have a 'general picture' i will post about it.
It is not as easy than with Emusic ,there is problems with tags making some mess at the downloading level.
Caltalogue is much more  general than the underground/indee Emusic one.

Both sites are legal in they countrys ,so i will post on interact

yosISme

• Recent member
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2002, 01:04:17 pm »

Not to get too far off topic, but speaking of tagging problems - all the music I downloaded from Emusic seems to have a Genre tag of "Blues".  Is this something I did, or is this something they did?  I certainly couldn't find anything I did.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2002, 01:11:08 pm »

What Are The Problems With The Tags?

Maybe That Could Be fixed By Runing It Thru A Tag Cleaner Or Other Program of somesort.

'Western Union' Charted At 05 In 1967

Listening to: 'Western Union' from 'The Best Of Five Americans' by 'Five Americans' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2002, 01:15:11 pm »

>> "Blues".  Is this something I did, or is this
>> something they did?
Id3v1 Genre Code "0" is Blues

this also means they did not fill it in.

this could be for some reason company Policy for one.

music may fall into many groups and if you set a genre then someone would ask why is this trance song in with Techno. you can't win for losing.

'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' Charted At 02 In 1967

Listening to: 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' from 'Anthology Cd' by 'Frankie Valli' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

yosISme

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2002, 01:27:34 pm »

Thanks King!
I thought it must be something like that.
Although when I wrote to their tech people, they had no idea.  Go figure...

zevele10

« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2002, 01:29:34 pm »

Blues means not genre set.
You get the same with mp3.com

Tags:
Look like that songs get the same tags.
Like U2 first album with the song Gloria on the first album, and live on the third live mini alum.
If you download all in a general folder ,when downloding the second  Gloria,you get a message'you have allready .....do you want to download again'.
If answer yes ,you overwrite the studio version ,if answer no ,you do not get the live version.
It is not that there is no tags for album.In MJ you see the album name.

Other problem
With reedition if you have the original song 'KingSpata is the king' and 'KingSparta is the  king' mono and 'KingSparta is the king' outtake.Some time the tags are the same for the 3 songs .At the end you get only the outtake and you see 2 songs are missing on the album.

The way i found is to use GetRight cause you can create a folder inside the interface. Like it you have each album in a sub folder -album name- inside a folder-band name-
The problem is that if you want to check with some programs ,you have to do it folder by folder,a real pain somewhere...

Concerning the songs inside the same album ,i think that with GetRight you can change the name of the file before starting to download.
I am sure i used this fonction ,but i cannot find it now

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2002, 01:37:25 pm »

>> Tags:
I See, Basicly Bad File Names And Bad Tags On Versions Of The Same Song

'Over You' Charted At 07 In 1968

Listening to: 'Over You' from 'Greatest Hits' by 'Gary Puckett And The Union Gap' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2002, 01:47:18 pm »

Yes
But the problem is that it mess around with the download.
When you have the songs on your hard drive ,correct  the tags is not a problem

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2002, 08:25:53 am »

Posting on http://help.emusic.com/ssr/index.pl?t=3 AKA Subscriber Status Page

Product: EMusic Audio Players
Last Updated: 10-28-02 08:58
Details:

If you are wondering what options you have for download manager software, look no further than the EMusic Audio Players page!

These download managers include support for EMusic's new download format and can download full albums or single tracks from EMusic!  The PC download managers Media Jukebox and Zinf also act as MP3 players giving you an all-in-one download and play solution!

Simply click the link above to visit our Audio Players page and then click on the "download" button for a player that matches your operating system!

From the Audio Player page mentioned above (I did not include the 3 other sanctioned jukeboxes with download managers).

Welcome to the EMusic Audio Players page! Each of these software products do the following:
Support one-click complete album downloading.
Organize your music collection.
Queue up multiple tracks for download.
Need help? EMusic does not offer support for these products. Please visit the software product's web site or the help files located on the player's interface.

MEDIA JUKEBOX
Rip, encode and burn MP3s with this award-winning music management system. This top rated jukebox has more power and more features than any other, and offers unparalleled file organization, search and playback options.
The new Download Manager component allows fast, single-click downloads of whole EMusic.com albums, instant playback of tracks as they download, and automatic import of new files into your music library.

Got a question about MEDIA JUKEBOX? Need help? Post a message here!

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2002, 05:05:46 pm »

I guess that eliminates another possible cause of EMusic termination.
That's right.
I'm cool.

Lynn

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2002, 05:15:58 pm »

Hi,

I received the attached from eMusic today, and I plan to ask them for guideline of reasonable use.  I am happy that they are trying to work this difficult problem out:

Dear EMusic Subscriber,

Thank you for your response to receiving an account
termination notice.  After reviewing your account
usage and evaluating your explanation as to why we
should reconsider this action, we have provisionally
reinstated your EMusic subscription.  Please read
below for further information.

Your account was one that we identified as having
unusually excessive download activity, which is
outside the scope and intent of our Terms and Conditions:
http://www.emusic.com/bem/new_signup/terms.html.
Although EMusic is structured to allow consumers to
discover, sample and download music for personal use
and enjoyment, it is not designed and cannot operate
as a source for consumers to download unreasonably
excessive quantities of music for which we are
obligated to pay artist and songwriter royalties.

Unlike other online music subscription services, we
have gone to great lengths to provide our subscribers
with an open, easy-to-use service that allows maximum
flexibility. Unfortunately, some subscribers do not
follow the usage terms in word or spirit.  

To maintain our low price and continue to provide a
flexible service, we work hard to minimize abuse by
monitoring the site for unusual activity.  Examples of
violations include but are not limited to password
sharing, use of automated systems to download huge
numbers of tracks, and other activity on the site in
excess of what is reasonable for one's personal use.
Accounts that we believe are violating the terms and
spirit of the service are subject to cancellation.

Although your account has been reinstated, we ask that
you consider these guidelines carefully as you use the
service in the future.

Kind Regards,

EMusic.com

ibusinesslawyer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2002, 05:22:44 pm »

My wife received a different letter.  Emusic advertises "UNLIMITED" downloads.  Period.  If they want to offer a "LIMITED" service, they need advertise it that way.  We are planning to take appropriate action.

- - - - - - - - -

Dear EMusic Subscriber,

Thank you for your response to receiving an account
termination notice.  Based on your account activity we
cannot reinstate your EMusic subscription.  Please
read below for further information.

Your account was one that we identified as having
unusually excessive download activity, which is
outside the scope and intent of our Terms and Conditions
http://www.emusic.com/bem/new_signup/terms.html Although EMusic is structured to allow consumers to
discover, sample and download music for personal use
and enjoyment, it is not designed and cannot operate
as a source for consumers to download unreasonably
excessive quantities of music for which we are
obligated to pay artist and songwriter royalties.  

Unlike other online music subscription services, we
have gone to great lengths to provide our subscribers
with an open, easy-to-use service that allows maximum
flexibility. To maintain our low price and continue to
provide a flexible service, we work hard to minimize
abuse by monitoring the site for unusual activity.
Examples of violations include but are not limited to
password sharing, use of automated systems to download
huge numbers of tracks, and other activity on the site
in excess of what is reasonable for one's personal
use.  Accounts that we believe are violating the terms
and spirit of the service are subject to cancellation.

EMusic.com

NY40Male

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2002, 05:34:33 pm »

I Got The Same Message As Lynn...I Wrote Them Back Saying They Suck And I Contacted The Attorney General Of California..Have A Nice Life Going Bankrupt....Also You Noticed They Havent Put Up Anything New In 4 Days...Just A Concidence?

ibusinesslawyer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2002, 05:53:50 pm »

Prosecutor Opens Probe Into Vivendi
Tue Oct 29, 6:52 PM ET
By PIERRE-ANTOINE SOUCHARD, Associated Press Writer

PARIS (AP) - Prosecutors opened an investigation Tuesday into whether Vivendi Universal under former chairman Jean-Marie Messier misled investors with falsified financial reports to buttress the media giant's beleaguered shares.

Paris prosecutors are trying to determine whether the company published false balance sheets for fiscal years 2000 and 2001 and issued deceptive information about its forecasts for this year and last, judicial officials said on condition of anonymity.

The investigation was prompted by a complaint filed by shareholders who allege the company under Messier's leadership deliberately misled investors into buying or holding Vivendi's stock.

For the rest of the article, see http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=530&e=4&cid=530&u=/ap/20021029/ap_on_bi_ge/france_vivendi
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up