INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording from radio station  (Read 1201 times)

Jonolo

• nothing more to say...
Recording from radio station
« on: October 16, 2002, 11:32:32 am »

I am trying to record an internet radio broadcast.  I have set Mixer as the recording source.  This should record any sound going through the sound card.  The radio broadcast is going through the sound card.  I hear it on the speakers connected to the sound card.  Yet I am unable to record any sound.  

When I try to auto set the sound level, no sound is detected.  If I try to record without waiting for sound, I get a file filled with silence.  Why am I unable to record sound that is going through the sound card and being heard perfectly on the speakers?

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: Recording from radio station
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 01:40:05 pm »

Since no one ever answered this I'll give it a shot.

Try reading the Line-In Recording FAQ from the Help menu at the top of this web page.

I think you'll need to open the volume control by double clicking on the yellow speaker in the system tray. Then select menu Options/Properties. Change the  "Adjust Volume For" to "Recording", click OK, then adjust the "Wave Out" or "All" recording level. I was able to get Wave Out recording using this method. I have not been able to get good quality yet, though. I am still experimenting.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 02:58:50 pm »

Maybe Use A Program Called "Total Recorder".

This question has been answered many times.

I think last week it was answered in another thread by JimH.

Basicly they said they could allow this but there was Copyright issues and that is why MJ does not allow things like this.

I don't think it will change in the future.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 11:37:19 pm »

I use Total Recorder to do this. It's a great program and a great bargain. MJ can do this it seems. Just not as easily as it does other things.

ohohyodasoda

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 07:23:50 am »

I don't kow if this will pertain to your problem or not.  I also can not record from the Mixer setting.  It is due to a confirmed bug in MJ.  I have a soundblaster pci128 model ct4700 and when Mixer is selected it Mutes all of the sound card imputs when you try to record.  John T has writen to me and told me that the bug is now repaired and that it wil be implimented in the next build if MJ9 to be released sometime in January.   If you have the same sound card as me, this is probably your problem as it appears to be much like my problem.  

I suggest you try this.  After doing an auto sound level test and the "no sound detected" message appears on your screen, Double click on your volume control in the System Tray and bring up your Mixer window.  Bring up the recording input controls window (usually via preferences/recording radio button) and check to see if all of your mute check boxes have been checked.  If they are all checked, go ahead and uncheck them, and then run the auto sound level test again.  Now go back and see of all the mute boxes have become checked again.  If they are all checked, then you have the same problem as I, and must wait for the bug fix to be implimented.  (or go buy a sound card that does not cause this problem)

I am running MJ8 but will not upgrade to MJ9 until the product is more bugfree.  I am in no hurry.

Let us know if you have the same problem.  It would be nice to know that I am not in this boat alone.

Hope this helped,
Bob Galanter
Pages: [1]   Go Up