INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help configuring Glissando please  (Read 2324 times)

MrCC

Help configuring Glissando please
« on: February 18, 2003, 03:54:12 am »

I am trying to setup Glissando to access MJ on a central PC.  I am getting totally confused as to how to configure/install Media Server/Web Remote/Glissando on the various PCs.
I have read the various readme files, searched the forums etc.
The Glissando docs talk about an example on a local PC.

My setup is a W2k PC in the sitting room, local amp and speakers.  I want to run Glissando on a PC in my study to change/control the playback.
The 'server' PC is 192.168.0.160 IP.
I have MJ8 on both PCs.  TCP/IP installed on both.  Network works fine.

My questions are:-
Do I need Media Server on the server PC?
Where do I install Web Remote?  On the server, the study PC, or both?
Presumably Glissando only goes on the study PC?
Do I use port 8080 or 8081 for Glissando (to avoid possible conflict)? Perhaps there is no conflict if Media Server not needed.

I am sorry if these questions seem very basic to those that have used these plug-ins, but it really is not clear how they all interact.  Perhaps some clearer examples in the Glissando readme files would help.

The Glissando software and it's functionality looks great, looking forward to getting it up and running.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help configuring Glissando please
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 04:13:35 am »

I am trying to setup Glissando to access MJ on a central PC.  
My setup is a W2k PC in the sitting room, local amp and speakers.  I want to run Glissando on a PC in my study to change/control the playback.
The 'server' PC is 192.168.0.160 IP.
I have MJ8 on both PCs.  TCP/IP installed on both.  Network works fine.

My questions are:-
Do I need Media Server on the server PC?

No.  Webremote must be running, but not Media Server.

Where do I install Web Remote?  On the server, the study PC, or both?

It is an html (web) server, so it goes on the server.  It must also be running.  You can try a test connection to it from IE from either machine.

Presumably Glissando only goes on the study PC?

Glissando is the client (not the server).

Do I use port 8080 or 8081 for Glissando (to avoid possible conflict)?

If you run two pieces of software on one machine, they cannot share the same port.

The Glissando software and it's functionality looks great, looking forward to getting it up and running.

Did you try AVSForum? There is a Glissando thread there on the HTPC board.

MrCC

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 05:15:31 am »

Thanks for the response on this.

Can you clarify what port 8080 or 8081 I should use?  Or rather, I guess I should ask, am I running two pieces of software?  Which?  If I turn off Media Server (how do I stop this loading please?), do I have two pieces running?  

Also, in Glissando text file, what do I enter for the FQDN of my 'server' PC?  Just 192.168.0.160?  This isn't FQDN is it?  The example in the Glissando help file does not assist here.

Thanks for the link to the AVSforum, I'll browse through there, looks like some interesting stuff.  Didn't find a quick help on my Glissando questions though.

Can you also please give me an example on testing the web remote server with IE, as per what you mentioned.  What do you type in?

MrCC

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 10:26:03 pm »

Can someone provide some clarification on the settings for Glissando please?

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 10:30:12 am »

I am going to give this a try.  Keep in mind, that I am just an advanced functional user, and my knowledge of networking is only what I have picked up over time.

Media Server and Web Remote are two separate items in MJ/MC.  Media Server allows you to access a library on a "server" pc, and use those files on the "client" machine.  Web Remote, allows you to control the "server" from a remote location.  To further enhance the functionality of the Web Remote, a more enhanced version of the Web Remote was built by a MJ/MC user, called Glissando.  I will get into setting that up later.

In terms of the ports, you can use whatever port you like, as long as that port is not being used by another piece of software, and that it follows the guidelines in the Install.txt file for Glissando.  I beleive that states that you must use something higher than 1024.  Ports are just an additional means of designating an "address", beyond the IP address.  (sorry if I am incorrect in my explanation, but that is about all I know about ports)  Anyway, if you use Media Server, and you use port 8080, then for Web Remote, you should use 8081, as you can not use the same port numbers of an IP Address for different software applications.

FQDN, is not a term that I am familiar with, but according to the install instructions for Glissando, you need to specify the IP Address of the "server" computer in the glissando.txt file.  Again, follow the instructions in the Install.txt file.  

Regarding JimH's comments about testing this from an IE browser session, I can only guess that he was telling you to type the IP address, with a colon, followed by the port number, hit enter, and see what comes up.  If Page Not Found, then the Web Remote pluggin is not functioning properly.  

Setting up Glissando, is fairly easy if you follow the Install.txt instructions.  Let me know if this does not help, and I will try to get more specific.

Drew

MrCC

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 10:51:58 am »

Thanks for your explanation Drew, that has helped with some of it.
The FQDN is Fully Qualified Domain Name, and is one part I am not clear on.  Unfortunately the Glissando docs did not give an example.  They just said use it, or use localhost for a local machine.  It would have been really nice to have a few examples.

I have Media Server starting up automatically on the 'server' PC, I don't want it, but am not sure how to stop it. I have asked, but no advice yet.  It could cause a conflict with 8080.  I'll use 8081, I did see a post in another thread on that.

What I really need is someone to post their Glissando.txt file here when their configuration is not all on a 'local' PC.  That would allow me to mimic/edit the configuration details for my setup.
Maybe not too many people are using it (or they don't read the boards much!).

Thanks.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 11:31:53 am »

MRCC
I am going to try and cut and paste the info from the Glissando.txt file.  The only two pieces that I have made any adjustments to, is the "server domain" where I just put in the IP Address, and the "server port" where I put in 8081.  I have not really made any adjustments to the other items.  

serverDomain=192.168.1.100&serverPort=8081&numberedLists=true&fullScreen=false&hideMouse=false&skin=default&done=true

I would agree with your statement that not alot of people are using it, plus the Third Party Plug-ins Board may not be checked as often as the others.  I just happened upon it, as I was sitting around the house, and had read through all I wanted on the other boards.

I will check back in case you need further assistance.

Drew

MrCC

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 10:10:25 am »

If I turn off Media Server (how do I stop this loading please?), do I have two pieces running?

JimH
Can you please let me know how I stop Media Server from loading to the System Tray?

I see the option to Start it from the menu (once you have stopped it from the System tray).

Edit
I found this utility that manages it very simply.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 11:14:22 am »

Double click on it to open it and then take a look at your options inside Media Server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up