INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skinning MJ  (Read 1784 times)

Scarebear

• As long as it's skinnable... I'm interested! :)
Skinning MJ
« on: December 01, 2002, 07:21:47 pm »

I've just started creating my first skin for Media Jukebox (working on a mini-me skin) and I'm wondering if there are any threads people are aware of that already cover FAQ in regards to creating skins?

I did a search in the forum and couldn't see much.  I know of the skinning help in the 'Help' section of the MJ website, but any additional help would be great.

So far my main window works fine.  It's getting the other windows to popout that hurts  ;)

Thanks....
Because skinning should be fun!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Skinning MJ
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 12:09:37 pm »

The Developer's Zone is your best bet.

For other questions, ask them here and hopefully somebody will know the answer.

Looking forward to your skin!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scarebear

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 12:37:50 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  My first skin will be 'dull' as I'm just focusing on getting my head around the scripting :)  So don't expect much on the first skin ;)

The problem I seem to be having is with the state.xml and the main.js files.  I'm guessing that the js file is where to detail things like where a popup or sliding window will go to and in which direction etc...  And the state.xml file details the things that function on the extra windows.

It's just finding out how to write these files that is stopping me at the moment.  The links in the Developer's Zone touches on these a little, but not enough for me.

Scarebear

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 01:06:29 pm »

I now have a skin that 'works' but has a lot of bugs in it.  I have the main window almost fully functional (except for the volume and progress sliders not appearing) and I have the extra windows I've created popping up and disappearing.

However, I can't yet figure out how to get them where I want them.  And I see the visual display but not the window it should appear in.

Lots of problems as you can see  ;)

Anybody interested in helping me finish it off?  All help appreciated.

And for those that already can skin MJ, have you seen the skinning competition at Skinbase?  You can win some cool prizes there  :)

http://www.skinbase.org/news.php?topicid=714

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 04:13:41 am »

One thing I've learned while trying to debug skins that I've been working on is to delete that state.xml file between tests (if it's there).

I've spent hours trying to figure out why sliders weren't appearing, or why text wasn't moving to its new location after I had editted the main.xml file, and as it turns out, it's all due to state.xml.

For some reason Metamorphis ignores location information that's specified in main.xml in favor of the location info stored in state.xml. In some cases, this makes sense, but in a lot of cases it doesn't.

Scarebear

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 03:57:04 pm »

Awesome! Thank you very much.  I was going mental trying to figure out why the details were not changing.  I have now managed to get the settings right and that got me on a roll.  I ended up getting further into the javascript side of the skin as well.

My skin now works (the code is probably messy) and I'll be uploading it soon to Skinbase.  Now I can try and make a decent looking skin :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up