INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vanishing controls ("turn white"-problem)  (Read 1538 times)

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
Vanishing controls ("turn white"-problem)
« on: September 17, 2002, 08:48:25 pm »

Hi,

I'm currently developing a plugin called "MJDubFinder" and one user (and myself) reported, that if he clicks away from my plugin and comes back, the listview the plugin uses turns white (displays nothing but white color).

I read something about this, that this may be a known "bug" or something. Can anyone help me out? I already tried setting the first tab-page in a picture-box, but that doesn't help. It helps with option-buttons (which display black if I don't use a picturebox).
I also tried using the ".refresh"-method of this listview-object. But it does seem like this makes it even worse.

Turning off skinning for the plugin doesn't work either (I tried to set this in the startup of the control). Unskinning the whole application doesn't help also (but makes it less often?!).

Do you have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Mirko

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
RE:Vanishing controls (
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2002, 10:00:24 pm »

Hi,

> I read something about this, that this may be a known "bug" or something.

There are loads of bugs with the MJ skinning engine.

> I already tried setting the first tab-page in a picture-box, but that doesn't help. It helps with option-buttons (which display black if I don't use a picturebox).

That's an XP skinning issue ... not MJ.

> Do you have an idea how to fix this?

What is the AutoRedraw flag set to for your interface frame?
Make sure it's set to True.

Unless you know what you're doing make sure ClipControls is set to False also.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 10:41:13 pm »

The AutoRedraw is set to false (I thought there are no custom drawn things in the picturebox so I don't need it). The ClipControls... I don't remember, but I didn't change it.

About XP-Skinning with optionbuttons: Sorry, I don't think so. I have not discovered any other application that has this problem (including my own). But you may be right, maybe the developers know this and do something against it; that doesn't explain, why I don't have this problem normally.

Thanks.
Mirko

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 11:50:37 pm »

Here's an example on google showing the VB/XP/Skinning issues:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=xp|PLS|theme|PLS|vb|PLS|picturebox&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=eTONKBHECHA.1064%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=1

It's all to do with controls within frames.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
Re: Vanishing controls (
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 02:29:27 am »

I tried adding the pictureboxes behind the listview, but this doesn't help. I guess it's a problem with the tab-control I use, too. But I don't intend to remove that, so I guess I have to life with that...

Maybe I will find a new control similar to the listview, that doesn't refresh this uncontrolled. I think it's a problem between XP-skinning and control-repainting (this would explain, why not all controls and not all constellation of positioning of them have the same problems -> why should placing a control onto a picturebox resolve the problem, if this is a XP-skinning issue alone?).

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 05:00:27 am »

There are some bugs with the MJ skinning engine too ... so if you have that on switch it off and try your app to see if it's that.

Some one's I've found:

1)  Setting a listview header to non-sort doesn't get skinned

2)  Having a "static" control does not get skinned properly.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2002, 08:30:26 am »

I used the function to disable skinning. I don't see effects in my plugin, but in the listviews MJ uses (the column-headers are no longer skinned).

The column-headers are all sortable and no static items in there. I tried to issue the refresh-method every second or so, but this doesn't help. I'll guess this control is not a well programmed one... I begin searching for an alternativ tomorrow. If I don't find one, it may be possible I develop one :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up