INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1445 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
Where to start?
« on: July 26, 2002, 09:02:11 am »

I'd like to make an attempt at developing a visualization or a display plug-in, but I need help knowing where to start.  I'm not sure how big a task this might be.

I haven't done any serious programming since college over 15 years ago.  I do know html and javascript though.

Here are some very basic questions...
What language is used?  Do I need special software, like Visual Basic, or is a text editor sufficient?
Will I be able to figure this out in a day or two (like javascript and MegaSkin xml) or is it bigger than that?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 05:18:33 am »

sam,
Someone else will be along to say more on your question, but you could start by running a visualization you like, then using the menu button on the display of the visualization to choose "visualization studio".  There you can see how it is made.

Thanks for doing it.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 08:48:30 am »

sam_,

to create display plug-in you need to use Visual C|PLS||PLS|.  Display plug-in must be COM control which registers itself with MJ.  

Will I be able to figure this out in a day or two (like javascript and MegaSkin xml) or is it bigger than that?
It's harder than javascript but not too hard.

Take a look at Track Info plug-in; source code is available on Developers' Zone.

Nikolay

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 04:15:14 pm »

Thanks.  The visualization studio looks pretty powerful.  Was it developed in-house?  Also, some of the variables are self-explanatory - like t, r, b, and g - but it would be great if you had a list of definitions for the rest...

And C|PLS||PLS| looks an order of magnitude harder than javascript.  Not a weekend project.  Maybe I'll stick to organizing music and designing pictures and icons.  :)

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 07:02:44 am »

Yes, the visualization studio was written here (over a weekend).
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up