Author Topic: IPOD  (Read 25523 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IPOD
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2002, 11:54:46 am »

DejaVu.

New version 3.0.31.

F19 fix, I hope.  

I have not been able to test with an upload of a few thousand files because I do not have a PC set up to handle this. I will do this tomorrow if this does not fix it and try to knock out the GUI lock at the same time.

Thanks for your patience with this one.

Steve

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2002, 03:07:41 pm »

New build and no fix for the MJ9 crash on the one specific playlist. I have been able to get around it by deleting the offending playlist and recreating the smart list rule set.

I am certain that this is more of an MJ9 / playlist bug than an iPod bug. I have saved a backup of the MJ db with the corrupt playlist, email me to get a copy.

The symptom (to refresh your memory) is that including a specific playlist (Zappa Favs) in an iPod sync operation will crash MJ every time. Take note, in my scenario, the files in the playlist were already on the iPod.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2002, 05:19:01 pm »

OK, good news/bad news time:

Good news: I'm getting somewhere between 25-35 MB/sec!  What's up with that?  I'm used to around 5-7?

Bad news: Um, it doesn't tranfer files.  I tried just small playlist w/179 songs, they zoomed through at ~30MB/sec and then when it was done I got an error message: File Transfer Error and it listed the file name.

I did it a number of times and it was always a different file name.

Same would happen if I just selected one file and did Send To>CDs, Device & Handheld, it would look like it's uploading it then I'd get the error message.

Note: don't go down the firewire path on this one.  I have NEVER had a firewire problem on my PC.  Even using native windows copying.....

Something's up.  If you can fix the F19 bug *and* get the files to copy at this speed, you're going to make *a lot* of people happy.  I was only getting 3-4MB/sec in Ephpod (which is what I have to open now so I have some tunes on my iPod for tomorrorw :(  )

Is anyone else experiencing this with the .31 build?

Oh, this was from a freshly Restored and formatted for MJ iPod.

Adam

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2002, 08:14:53 pm »

steve, i had the same problem as adam, i tried to add a new album to my pod and it rushed through it all then said there was an error and it didn't transfer anything. i am also running VERRRYYYY SLLLOOOOWWW with mc9 although i guess you wouldn't be the one to tell, but the mc9 board is too crowded so you'll have to do.
ite
---------

SteveG

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2002, 06:46:34 am »

There was a problem with the download page that put the wrong version of the Plug-in up last night. This has been corrected. Please get the Plug-in again and all should be better.

Thanks,

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2002, 07:59:44 am »

Guess that means we don't get to keep those blazing fast uploads.  Darn, those were tasty!   ;D

Adam

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2002, 08:19:24 am »

Unfortunately I'm still getting 800 files in the F19 folder with the new 3.0.31 build.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2002, 06:48:51 pm »

I think I know why Steve you keep thinking it's fixed and why we are all still reporting it as not fixed.

It has to do with either the number of files uploaded or if you're synching a second time.  Here's what I did:

I sync'd a playlist onto a clean iPod that had 179 songs. on it.  Checked the iPod.  It worked!  F19 has like 5 songs in it, the other folders had anywhere from 5-14 songs in them.  So, that looked pretty good from a randomness perspective.

Neat, I thought, so I then did another sync and added the rest of my playlists.  BAM!  It didn't work.  If fact, what I believe it did was ignore entirely the other folders and added all the songs from this second sync into F19.

The other folders still have between 5-14 songs in them.

Hope this helps.  I really think to get the GUI locking and other issues fixed you gotta get a larger library going to you test iPod there.

Oh, if it helps any, here's another vote for graphical rating getting added to MC9.  It's just too much of a pain to do it they way it's set up.

Adam

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2002, 07:08:57 pm »

It has to do with either the number of files uploaded or if you're synching a second time.  

I think the first option is more likely; I think that the number of files being synched determines the distribution in some way. With the latest builds (9.088 and 3.0.31), I reformatted the iPod, formatted for MC, and proceeded to do one sync of 2822 files. Of those, 2235 ended up in F19. Dividing the remainder of the songs (587) by the number of remaining folders (19) gives an average of 31 tracks for the other folders. As I look through those remaining directories, I see a range of tracks between 23 and 41. This would make sense. So, my question is: is there something magic about having more than about 600 tracks that makes the distribution put the rest of them in F19?

Hope that made sense

Paul

P.S. yet another vote here for a graphical rating system in MC. However, the higher priority for me would be playcount updating from ipod!

SteveG

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2002, 10:05:49 am »

Hello Everyone,

The latest plugin from yesterday should fix the F19. I tried to let y'all know yesterday, but we had some server issues and I could not get to the web site.  It turns out it was a problem with finding a duplicate file which could occur even with a single synch. Please let me know if it is still a problem.  I did do a test with 2000 files on Friday which helped get to the bottom of it and it worked great.

In regards to GUI lock, during the 2000 upload test, the status messaging was always present and functioning (not locked) for me.

PS, can you elaborate on what you mean by graphical rating?

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2002, 10:31:23 am »

I believe that graphical rating is like in iTunes or Windows Media Player 9 -- where you rate songs 1 to 5 stars by clicking on the stars next to a song.  Kind of off-topic on this post, though, hehe.

I'm pretty sure that Matt and co. plan on implementing graphical ratings -- near the final stages of development, tho.

PS, I've kinda messed up my iPod -- I can't get it back to a WinniePod heh.  Thus my lack of input since taking it to work the other day.  I'll be back soon.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2002, 12:52:42 pm »

YEAH BABY, YEAH!!

I fixed my iPod, downloaded the plugin, and synched a smartlist called "10GB of music", which contained (get ready) ten gigabytes of music.  Synch went well (averaged about 5.8mb/sec).  After sync, I checked the folders.

NICE SPREAD!  F15 had 135 files, F14 had 90 files, and every other folder had somewhere between that.  I unplugged and started playing songs; I experienced ZERO skips!

Well done, Steve!  It looks like you've nailed this one!  (Though, I still think he owes us some beers) ;)

As an aside, I have a DV camcorder, which is plugged into the same firewire card as my iPod.  While synching the iPod, I stupidly unplugged the camcorder, which resulted in a CRC write-error on the iPod, and subsequent MC sync abend.  This is natural and expected, and is likely not in your power to control, I imagine, but I just wanted to mention it.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2002, 05:53:07 pm »

its great seeing this support for graphical ratings!! i've been hoping for this one ever since i first tried it in itunes3. its near impossible to go through lots of files and rate them as it is now. once i have that i can start using smartlists! hoooray :D
---------

fex

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2002, 11:43:14 pm »

I tested the new plugin one or two hours. I uploaded files, then synced files, synced playlists deleting the songs that are not in the lists and so on, filling my pod to 18 gigs. The F19 problem seems really to be solved and I have no skipping problem anymore.
Speed was incredible (around 9'300 kbps). This is almost the double speed I realize with ephpod. Great!

Suggest, I pay my beer myself, drinking it on you... ;)

Not working for me is "updating tags". Changing one or two tags and syncing with this option causes most or all songs (not only the changed ones) to "vanish" in pod's database.

Fex

Quillo

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2002, 06:59:01 am »

WinPOD
Windows 2000 SP3

Can also confirm the F19 file bunching has been solved for me by this release.  I had found some first track skipping going on too and this also seems to be eliminated now.  Thanks.

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2002, 08:38:49 am »

Yep, F19 file distribution problems are fixed for me as well. Nice work Steve. No first song skipping problems now.

Paul

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2002, 06:45:18 pm »

Good work on F19 bug, my results as far as deviation are 84 as the fewest, 119 as the most.  Pretty good.

I was able to replicate the lost database problem Fex had.  Here is what I did to make it happen:

1. Sync'd w/Playlist #1 to an empty iPod.
2. Changed some Album information, resync'd w/Update Tags. Only selected Playlist#1.
3. Sync'd and Updated fine
4. Changed album information back that I changed in Step#2 above, did a Synch w/Playlists #1, #2 & #3.
5. Ipod had no songs in the database, the Playlists where there but empty.  Ipod was full of files, DB was empty.

Had to do a restore and resync of all songs.

Hope this helps, I think the Update Tags when adding additional Playlists that weren't part of a previous sync causes problems.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2002, 05:47:29 am »

Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on F19, I am glad to put that one to rest.

Adam and Fex,

I cannot duplicate this, even following Adam's test.  Can you try the following on a clean iPod...

1) Create two playlists with 3 files each.

2) Synch them.

3) Update the Album tag for one file in one playlist.

4) Resynch.

If this works, try having a duplicate file in both playlists. If this works, try if you can to find a specific way to have MC fail.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2002, 08:31:36 am »

Steve:

I'll try to figure out a way to replicate consistently, but my suspicion is that it won't be replicable with small playlists.  The playlists I was using had the following number of songs:

Playlist #1: 179
Playlist #2: 2002
Playlist #3: 205

Playlist #2 is my iPod playlist, all the songs I want on my iPod, as such, Playlists #1 & #3 have songs that are duplicated in Playlist #2.

Maybe this would help, there are the rules for these playlists:

Playlist #1: =Playlist #2 & Genre="Christmas Tunes"
Playlist #2: Artist = (all the artists I want on my iPod)
Playlist #3: =Playlist #2 & Genre="Jazz"

Hope that makes sense.  The contents of the playlists should be making a difference, but I'll be the size does.  I'll try w/small playlists tonight.  If I can't dupe w/those I'll try w/large playlists (179+ songs)

Adam

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2002, 01:24:37 pm »

Brand New Machine, Clean install of MJ 9.0.88 and current plugin. When I sync, MJ crashes every time.

My iTunes and MJ dbs are here: http://beepcom.tzo.com/JGOURD-MJLibraryIpod.zip

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1814 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 691 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SONY CD-RW  CRX210E1   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Drive H: YAMAHA CRW2100S   Addr: 2:5:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

tou

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2002, 02:41:18 pm »

I too am finding that when every I sync my file MMJB crashes. I have tried formating ipod with MMJB. I have also reformated my Ipod using Apple Restore and still it crashes everytime. I have about 600 songs on my computer and when i get to say 200 it crashes. I have tried deleted hh_portable.dll and installing new plugin and it still won't work. I have shut down zone alarm, norton etc thinking it might have a conflict with another program and it still crashes.

The message i get is
App.c:\program files\jriver\medai center\media jukebox.exe (pid=1136

Exception number(0000005
(access violation)

Unable to verify checksum for C:\program files
jriver\mediacenter\plugins\hh_portable.dll

error symbol file could not be found
defaulted to export symbols for c:\program file\jriver\mediacenter\plugin\hh_function hh portable

error module load completed but symbols could not be loaded
Application exception occured

fex

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2002, 02:50:26 pm »

Tagging:

First test on a clean iPod (two playlists with different files): No problems.

Second test (two playlists with one duplicate file):
Playlistst are not listed, same as duplicate song. Did it two times with different files.

I'm working on that specific way to fail MC. Suppose (!), it has something to do with a combination of deleting files not in playlists and updating tags (sorry, have a lot of songs to manage...).

Fex

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2002, 05:53:43 pm »

OK Steve, I've been able to recreate part of the problem.  Here's the steps:

We're going to make two playlists from the same album, we'll use the first 6 tracks of the album.  The track order is important in reproducing.  Start w/an empty iPod.

1. Playlist #1 = songs 1,2, & 3 from the album
2. Playlist #2 = songs 4,5,6,1,2 & 3 from the album
3. Sync
4. Change the Album Name (I just added an "A" to the end of it)
5. Sync the same 2 Playlists and check Update Tags
6. Check your iPod.  On mine, there are no Playlists at all.  Also, doing a Browse>Artist>Albums shows the one Album (correctly updated) but the Album only has the first 3 tracks of Playlist #2 listed (songs 4, 5 & 6).  Not 6 songs as you would expect.

I've done this a bunch now and consider that reproducable.

Here's the interesting thing.  Viewing the iPod in MC it shows up fine, but looking at the iPod itself shows the missing playlists and tracks on the Albums as listed above.

Now, the track order needs to be the way I listed.  If you do it this way:

Playlist #1 = songs 1,2, & 3
Playlist #2 = songs 1,2,3,4,5 & 6

It works fine.  More strange, no?

I think you must have some logic messed up somewhere that's causing this problem.  Aw, heck.  I don't know what I'm talking about.  But at least this is reproducable and is probably the root to the "empty" ipod databases that Fex and I have reported.

Here's a copy of my iTunes DB in this corrupted state:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/data/

Hope this helps.

Adam

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2002, 09:33:02 am »

Steve:

Found something else that doesn't seem to be working right: Safely  Convert.

As I understand this, this feature will automatically convert a non-ipod supported file type (such as WMA) to mp3.  Right?  Well, I tried to upload a WMA file and it didn't get converted or added to my iPod.

Let me know if I have the gist of this functionality wrong.

****EDIT: Never mind.  Figured it out, this only works when manually uploading and clicking Options.*****

Adam

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2002, 10:01:06 am »

As I continue to prepare my mp3 library for the big day I convert from ephpod to MJ, I still am trying to figure out how best to use Smartlists and playlists.
(Steve & JimH, feel free to move this to a new topic if you think it will railroad the thread)
Can you guys start posting your smartlists for us to use as examples?  I have already made good use of ones posted on older Ipod threads, making two hours mixes of a genre and stuff.
I consider this to be Ipod-related because as we fill up our Ipod's, we can't just have Smartlists for "all rock", "all jazz", etcetera, unless your collections are less than your Ipod's capacity.
Thanks in advance.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2002, 10:22:19 am »

mclaugh:

Don't know if this'll help, but I did a little tutorial on a somewhat complex one that somebody wanted to do from the iPodlounge forums.

For you this is probably a no brainer....but thought I'd just through it in in case:

Here's the link

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2002, 01:08:49 pm »

Everyone,

I am working on the bug synch and tag bug. Hopefully a solution tomorrow.

Mclaugh,

This is a great place for smartlist suggestions. Check out the link Adam listed and we can pick up here tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2002, 06:03:28 pm »

Adam-
Thanks for that link- it's exactly the kind of conversation I'm looking to start w/ relation to Smartlists.  I also posted a new separate topic about using wildcards in Smartlists.

Here are some Smartlists I've made:
I have Genre Smartlists- this one is for Jazz:
mediatype=[Audio] genre=[Acid Jazz],[Bebob],[Bebop],[Big Band],[Fusion],[General Jazz],[Jazz],[Jazz+Funk]
Here's a 1 hour high tempo Smartlist I call my "raquetball mix":
mediatype=[audio] ~t=60 ~sort=random intensity=>=4
Here's a four hour Rap Smartlist:
mediatype=[audio] genre=[Hip-Hop],[Rap] ~t=240 ~sort=random
And finally, here's a list of songs for my wife when she wants to just play music, it's my "jen" Smartlist:
mediatype=[Audio] comment=[jen] ~sort=random

Ok- Who's got some more creative examples?

TimB

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2002, 01:03:15 am »

I'm not sure this is the most efficient method as I'll explain at the end.  Here's my current smartlist logic:

First an explanation, I have a PCMCIA firewire card running off my laptop, as the card is unpowered it doesn't have battery power for a full 20 gig load.  My MP3s are stored on my desktop downstairs which is connected to my upstairs machine via wireless LAN (802.11b).  I also want to have complete albums in case I hear a song on my playlist and say "Hey I wanna listen to that album".  :)  Once a week I update my Laptop and then my iPod on new entries to my desktop machine.  Daily I update my playlists from my laptop upstairs, as they're based on the weekly lists from my static MJ database on the laptop (only updated weekly) they shouldn't require any new songs.

Weekly Update:

Playlist: A to M
Media Type: Audio Complete Album=1 artist: A-M Not Artist: Bert Jansch, CSNY

Playlist: N to Z
Media Type: Audio Complete Album=1 artist: N-Z Not Artist: Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Ralph McTell, Who

Daily Playlist Updates:

Playlist: Rock Random 1
Media Type: Audio sort: Random Limit: 600 Minutes Genre: Rock Playlist: A to M, N to Z

I also have playlists for genre's Rock Random 2, Jazz, Classical, Country and Folk.

The problem with my situation is that 'cos I have more than 20 gig of MP3s I need a way to exclude some tracks without breaking my complete album argument.  I don't mind losing part of one album but if I try to limit megabytes by adding a limit argument I find that I have many albums broken up.  So instead I have to exclude specific artists and as my collection grows, I'll have to exclude more.  Its a non-automated solution that doesn't scale well.

Up to now I'm doing a complete MP3 reload every week 'cos Steve is improving the logic of the plug-in.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2002, 04:11:23 am »

Tim-
I completely understand your argument regarding complete albums and your Ipod's capacity.  I have a 10gig Ipod, and around 70gig of mp3's.  (I own over a 1000 cd's, and my family refers to it as "my addiction").  At least 10gig are duplicates; early on, I had a problem w/ my Ipod and moved all my files back onto my computer- I'm still weeding out from that, correcting tags, etc.
Back to the issue- like you, I like to fill up my Ipod mostly w/ complete albums.  I do have stray songs here and there, but for the most part, I have a steady stream of albums I take on and off.  I ran into the same problem as you- I didn't want to have albums broken up or excluded due to rules I add for total file size.  It's the reason I feel that artist/album sync is so key- I would like to dedicate around 8gigs for complete albums (some rotated, some essentials always on the Ipod), and then have the other 2gigs for random genre playlists (4hours rock, 4hours jazz, etc).  Finally, I would squeeze one playlist of new songs/artists I heard that I wanted to evaluate- I would just modify the auto smartlist "recently imported" to give me the suitable list for my Ipod.

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2002, 04:22:27 am »

And to reply to myself-
For about two to three weeks, I've been trying to build one large playlist in MJ that holds most of the albums I consider essential to have with me most of the time.  
-To do that, I sat and typed out a list in Notepad of all the albums on my Ipod.  
-Next, I went over the list and chose which albums should be on this big list (Pet Sounds, Loveless, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot demos yes- Jazz Passengers, Best of Morrissey no).
-Now, I'm currently going through these albums in MJ to make sure the tags are completely correct (I had made some corrections when uploading to Ephpod, and those didn't make it back to the id3 tags).  I'm still doing this.
-Once this is complete, I plan to wipe my Ephpod Ipod and christen it for MJ.  (by the way, JimH, if you're reading, which version of MJ should I buy?  It's not that clear to me from that buy page.)  I will add the BulkPod playlist of all these essentials in lieu of artist/album sync, and try to control it that way.
Again, that's why I'm asking so many smartlist questions- if there is a way to better do this using smartlists, I would love to see examples so I can copy.

Thanks again, sorry for my longwindedness.  As a longtime lurker, the few times I raise up to write, I tend to babble......

SteveG

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2002, 04:29:51 am »

McLaugh,

In case you don't know this, to select different Albums for your smartlist, when in Media Library click on the wizard icon and do "Add Rule->General->Album".

Also, MC9 is definitely the version to get for iPod if you do synchronization because this feature is not available in MJ8.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2002, 06:07:36 am »

Everyone,

A new build of the Plug-in is posted (3.0.33) which should resolve the tag updating issues reported.

Thanks,

Steve

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2002, 09:33:54 am »

Steve-
I had forgotten you can add rules to add individual albums like that- thanks for the reminder.
At this point in the development, what would you say are still your "action items" for the Ipod plugin?

Also, I agree that I should get MC9 over MJ8, but in searching through the archives, I think there is also an "audio only" version of MC9 due in the future.  I would probably rather sign up for that- I already have a tivo and standalone dvd player.  In fact, the only use I would have for anything video related is to plug the computer & MJ into my living room AV system so that I can control listening to music using my remote.

SteveG

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2002, 09:56:34 am »

McLaugh,

The list of things to add to iPod is somewhat dynamic. I will be glad to add almost anything that is possible into the Plug-in. For now, I want everything that is already there to be rock solid before I add anything new. I think with the last two fixes we are pretty close. Assuming no new surprises, I will start adding new features.

In regards to the stand alone version 9, I think this is how it will go, but  it is a little unclear yet.

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2002, 12:11:51 pm »

Dear Ipodder novices,
Please advise me..........I am buying an IPOD in the next few days, however, I have been reading these forums and I am a bit confused with the whole process and MC8/9/MJB/ephpod lingo.    Please understand that all I know is how to download songs from Kazaa and then burn them onto a CD............As for "getting ready to IPOD" I understand this (which is not much):
*ephpod was voted #1, but that was before MC9 came out
*MC9 is a beta test and therefore stick with v.8
*Once I download v8 OR v9 it will automatically find my downloaded songs in "my Kazaa", then  I can go in and edit any of the artists names/albums/songs etc., etc.
Is any of this correct?  

Basically I want the best sound quality, so can anyone advise me on the order of doing this?  I read ashawley Help link but I still have some initial questions.  Please bring this IPOD wannabee up to speed.  
p.s. I believe I need to purchase a firewire card - where is the cheapest one to be found?

DeeJayPod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2002, 12:47:33 pm »

Hello!

This is my first post, though I've been lurking here for a while now...

I just installed MJ & the plugin - previously, I was using MMJB for library mgmt and EphPod for syncing.  I LOVE the MJ interface - it is such an improvement!

A program called Media Core crashes each time I try to sync my library with my iPod.  This shuts down MJ and the entire process.

I've found that when I select Delete Files Not in List, it crashes immediately.  If I deselect this box, it crashes part-way into the sync process.  Has anyone else seen this?

My system info. is below.

-DJP

Media Jukebox  9.0.89 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 868 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 88 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: SONY     CD-RW  CRX140E     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2002, 01:14:47 pm »

Podder,

I would recommend getting v9 even though it is a beta. Without 9, you will be unable to synch and I think you will want this feature.

MJ/MC will be able to import songs from any and all places on your drive and you will then be able to edit tags.

DeeJayPod,

Can you make sure you have the latest Plug-in (v. 3.0.33). If so, if you don't mind losing your data on iPod, try right-clicking on "Ipod" and then format iPod for MJ, then try retesting.

I will check back tomorrow to see how you are doing.

Steve

DeeJayPod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2002, 02:09:27 pm »

Steve,

Yes, I do have the latest plugin.  I just tried reformatting and resyncing - same problem about 5% of the way in!  I tried to watch carefully and it crashes on different songs each time.

-DJP

Podder,

I would recommend getting v9 even though it is a beta. Without 9, you will be unable to synch and I think you will want this feature.

MJ/MC will be able to import songs from any and all places on your drive and you will then be able to edit tags.

DeeJayPod,

Can you make sure you have the latest Plug-in (v. 3.0.33). If so, if you don't mind losing your data on iPod, try right-clicking on "Ipod" and then format iPod for MJ, then try retesting.

I will check back tomorrow to see how you are doing.

Steve

tou

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2002, 03:07:56 pm »

Steve
I am having the same exact problem Dee JaY POd is having!
Media core keeps crashing!
I have removed Media center from my computer and then reinstalled it !
reformated my ipod using mj
Downloaded latest plugin
And still it crashes just like DEE JAY states in his post
Any thoughts on how we can fix this problem? ?

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2002, 03:18:53 pm »

Before I do this I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly...........If I have never downloaded anything from Media Jukebox, do I just download Version 9 (beta)or do I initially have to do Version 8?
My head is spinning from these forums about people's problems with synching, IDing/tagging, upgrading for a fee, crashing, etc. etc.
Again, In order to organize my MP3s (all on My Kazaa) on my PC I must download  v8 or v9, or both?  Sorry to all the "up & running" IPODDERS, but I want to do it right.  Please advise.
Thanks to all responders and have a great HOLIDAY!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2002, 03:40:22 pm »

You can just download version 9 and then get the iPod plug-in from our plug-ins page.

There are some very good instructions by Adam Shawley [sorry, Adam, thanks for the correction] on www.ipodlounge.com in the Media Jukebox section of their forum.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2002, 06:49:19 pm »

There are some very good instructions by Adam Hawley on www.ipodlounge.com in the Media Jukebox section of their forum.

Thanks for the plug Jim, but man, get it right, it's Shawley.   ;D

Hey Podder:

Just get version 9.  The instructions to do that are in my help guide.

Regarding your songs that you keep referring to as "My Kazaa".  Don't get confused or tied up with how Kazaa stores your songs.  Remember, when you download files from Kazaa, it's just putting the mp3s into a folder on your Computer.  You can move those if you want (to someplace like a "My Music" folder.  That way you can add any CDs that you want to convert to MP3 there as well.  See the help file section on MP3 File naming tips.

Also understand that all Media Center will do is search your Music folder(s) for files and add a record of them to its database.  This allows you to manage your music (tag it, create playlists etc.).  Media Center is just building a list of music files on your PC, there's nothing more tricky about it than that (OK, there is, it does a ton of other great stuff like ripping/burning etc., but at it's heart it is a library management tool).

Hope that makes sense.  

Adam

henleyfan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2002, 04:51:49 am »

Hi, this is my first post.  I have been extremely happy with Media Center 9, but I'm having the same exact problem that DeeJayPod is having.  The first time I synched my iPod to my pc, I didn't have any errors at all.  Now I'm getting the same one that he is having.  Also, I have another problem.  The first time I synched my iPod with MC, I had 493 songs.  Each time I plug my iPod into my pc now, it removes a few songs from my iPod.  I now have 463 songs on my iPod.  The 30 missing songs are still on my pc, but when I try to manually send them to my iPod, they don't actually get sent.  My last problem is that my playlists have been removed my iPod, and I can't get them back.  They are also still on my pc.  
This may be off topic, but is there any chance MC will support Audible files in the near future?

SteveG

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2002, 05:54:43 am »

Everyone,

I posted a new Plug-in (3.0.34) that I hope will fix the bug you have reported. I unfortunately cannot duplicate the problem, so I hope the changes I made do the trick.

henleyfan,

MC currently supports Audible (aa) files. Are you referring to iPod support for these? In regards to the files that are disappearing, what file type are these files?

The disappearing playlists should be fixed with Plug-in 3.0.33 or later.

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2002, 06:04:39 am »

Steve & gang,
I want to download MC9 now, but do you now if it is compatible with WINDOWS98??  I heard rumors of some problems (I think someone said it needs to be WIN98SE).
Any info on this would be helpful, since I do want to get going on ripping & uploading to my IPOD before the holidays.
Thanks

henleyfan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2002, 06:31:38 am »

I didn't realize that MC already supported Audible files.  I just downloaded the iPod plugin 3.0.34, and I didn't have the problem of Media Center crashing.  However, I'm still having the same problems.  I went to do a synchronize all files, and it appeared to work.  I then looked at my iPod, and I now have 462 files.  I had 463 the last time I synched.  All of my files are presently mp3 vbr files, so these are the only ones that are disappearing.  As far as my playlists, I still don't have any on my iPod.  When I go to synchronize files, I chose most of my playlists to download.  I click OK, then it says now importing 1 of over 1000 files.  It takes less than a minute, and all of my playlists should be on my iPod.  Unfortunately, they are not.  Thanks in advance.

SteveG

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2002, 07:35:14 am »

Podder,

MC9 should be fine with Windows 98.

Henleyfan,

When you are synching, if you want your playlists to go, do not select "Transfer All Files".  Instead click on "Select All" which will select all your playlists and then synch.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2002, 07:58:33 am »

Steve:

HOOT!! HOOT!! HOOT!!

Version .33 fixed the old disappearing playlist (and sometimes entire database) problem!!   ;D

I did *all sorts* of stress testing last night and it worked like a charm w/Update Tags checked.

I know you're thinking about what's next now that things are getting stable, I'll give you a day of rest before I recap my wants!!!   ;)

Great work!!!

Adam

henleyfan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2002, 08:14:56 am »

Okay, I selected "Select All" instead of "Transfer All Files", but it stopped about 5% through, much like DeeJayPod's problem.  If I choose one or two playlists, it looks like they transferred, but they still aren't on my iPod.  Oh well, it's not a big deal, and I appreciate your help.  I'm more concerned about getting the 30 songs that used to be on my iPod onto it again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up