INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files randomly deleted, had to be re-imported  (Read 1115 times)

friendly

• Recent member
  • Don't worry, I'm friendly...
Files randomly deleted, had to be re-imported
« on: October 10, 2003, 02:23:01 am »

I have about 2000 files of the same artist.  Yesterday, I downloaded then .271 version.  Today, I noticed that many files, seemingly randomly chosen had been deleted from the library (but not from the hard drive).  I had to re-import them.  Any idea why?  It's not a big deal, just wondering why.  I can't remember anything I could have done to have so many files from so many different locations just randomly dropped from the library.

Good vibes,
Eric

Marko

Re:Files randomly deleted, had to be re-imported
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 02:55:07 am »

worrying news indeed. what would be most helpful in trying to get to the bottom of that is to post any consistancies in the filenames/filetypes, language used, any 'special' characters involved, network drives or local?

and then finally, open media center, click on help, then system info. the text you see will be on your clipboard, paste it into your reply.

friendly

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 09:19:38 am »

My system info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.273 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 293 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Ding.wav

Burning /  Drive F: PHILIPS  PCRW804            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

-----------------
I had to reimport about 2800 of my 6600 files last night.  Not a big deal, except for the fact that it irreparably damaged my playlists, some of which were perfectly ordered for some MP3 discs.  

Other weird behavior....artists that don't exist were listed in the tree, and when I clicked on them, it would just list the entire media library.  I would right-click to try to erase the non-existent artists, and it wouldn't show an option to do that.  That was last night.  This morning, the non-existent artists have vanished (I left Media Center running overnight, as I always do, but nothing happened to it overnight that I know about.)

Good vibes,
Eric

friendly

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 11:50:53 am »

I should also mention that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which files were selected to be deleted.  I tried a fresh install of .273, and that didn't change anything.  Would reverting back to a backup library restore my playlists?

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 07:27:48 pm »

friendly, the same kind of thing happened to me a while ago. I have 20000+ files, and one day i noticed an album was missing a few tracks. Then to my shock, I realised I was missing a thousand or so files. Like you're saying, it seemed totally random. The only thing I realised was that all the files that were deleted were imported during a similar period. They'd all been imported within the past few months. I have playlists saved for every imported month, and many backed-up libraries, so it wasn't too hard to regain the missing tracks. I alter file properties in MC9 but don't alter the id3 tags themselves so having the backed-up libraries was a HUGE relief.

The same thing happened one or two more times though, with the same files were missing I'm quite sure.

Since then, I've formatted my system drive, installed a new version of MC9 and had no problems.

At the time I think I was using MC9.0.172. I also had a network with MC9 installed on both systems. For some reason I felt that files went 'missing' after someone tried to play tracks on MC9 on the other system (with all mp3s being stored on this one). Perhaps not, but I was quite sure the problem had to do with the network, I'd only just set it up when the files starting to go 'missing'.

Anyway, hopefully what I've said has helped you in some way. Feel free to ask me any questions, and good luck re: the re-importation.

friendly

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 11:11:18 pm »

Thanks for your input.  I still don't see any common thread with the tracks that were missing.  Some have been on my hard drive for years, others were new.  They seemed spread across the board pretty well.  Like I mentioned earlier, they all re-imported just fine.  The only bad thing is that I have to reconstruct some lengthy, pre-ordered playlists.  I'm hoping that my backup library might help, but I'm not too optimistic.  I think it just has the library backed up, not the playlists.  But then again, I hope I'm wrong.

I'd also like to mention that MC crashed yesterday when I tried to burn directly from one drive to another (I thought I might try copying a disc without ripping it.)  It was only after that incident that I found all the files missing.

Good vibes,
Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up